Looking for travel advice: Scotland/Ireland

Fellow FOH travel gurus, Matthew and I, and another couple, want to plan a trip to Scotland and perhaps Ireland too in Sept/Oct 2013. We are looking at up to 2 weeks.

A boat trip around Scotland with stops in ports for visits, sleeping on the boat; inland scotch touring with golfing for them and cigar smoking and scenery for me.

Anyone have suggestions/itinerary they can e-mail or share? Seems I have heard some talk about this here.

With thanks!

Lisa

For Scotland, around Fort William, the Great Glen, the Weastern Isles..you could just hire a car and see wonderful sights anywhere in the highlands, and the Western Isles.

You can also get a ferry hopper type ticket that enables you to travel the Western Isles ferries for one set price, much cheaper than buying per ticket.

Take some mossie repellent, as the midges out west are a bugger, but should be less at that time of year.

A good time to do it, as you might get a bit of good weather, without the crowds!

Also, if you get the chance, head to the other side of the border, to https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+lake+district&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=3qD&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vl04UcGDOOmy7AbC9oA4&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=577 here, The lake District, where more beautiful scenery is to be had. I would say that though, I live here.

Thank you so much! Will copy and paste this advice to circulate to the team.

As I did with michel1968 in Amsterdam, I hope we can somehow find each other and meet up for an afternoon of smoking.

So appreciated!!

Lisa

In 2008 I did an 8-day roud trip through the lower 2/3rds of Ireland with my mom. highlights: Dingle, Ring of Kerry, and Guinness. Seriously though, go drive around Dingle and surrounding area....remarkable! As far as big city tourism goes, Dublin was one of my favourite i've even visited.

Thank you so much! Will copy and paste this advice to circulate to the team.

As I did with michel1968 in Amsterdam, I hope we can somehow find each other and meet up for an afternoon of smoking.

So appreciated!!

Lisa

My Pleasure.

Should you make it down here, I'd be happy to show you all some of the sights.

And of course, a cigar or two!

If you're coming to Dublin we will host a herf in your honour!

You could get a ferry from Scotland to Northern Ireland and then visit the Giants causeway in the north (Bushmills distillery is near there) and then go round Ireland via Galway for the Atlantic coast, Kerry and cork for the beautiful scenery (and the Middleton distillery just outside cork), Kilkenny for a quaint town with a big castle (no distillery), Cashel for the rock of Cashel (its quite a big rock with an old castle on it, not just a rock)......as an Irish person I'm hard pressed to think of things to do in my own country (but then it's 8pm and I'm in college after work and my brain is fried).

Why would you choose Scotland & Ireland when you could go to Cuba !?!?!?

A herf in Dublin sounds good to me. A trip to Islay. Let's organize a tour! I had a grand time in Dublin between Christmas and Newyears and am ready to go back. The one place in Ireland I did not see mentioned is Glendalough in Co. Wicklow. Lovely place for a stroll and not too far from Dublin.