Importance of Wrapper Colour and Sheen to You

I know it's fun to ogle the beautiful pictures of a rich, dark, oily wrapper on a cigar, but have you found strong correlation between colour and flavour and burn quality?

Some of the best Partagas 898s I've had have been very light. Some of the boring Mag 46s I've had have looked absolutely amazingly dark and rich and oily.

Just curious about your experiences. Thanks.

Generally I find a thin wrapper with good oil is a good indicator that the tobacco used in the rest of the cigar is also good quality. However I've had some terrible cigars that look amazing and I've had some mind blowing cigars that look like they shouldn't have got past QC.

2001 monte #3 for example sand out for me as sublime cigars, just fantastic. But they look like they are wrapped in grey toilet paper.

It really depends on the blend. I have had outstanding cigars with both dark and light wrappers. Oily is more desirable, but I have had excellent cigars that weren't. One that comes to mind is the Ramon Allones Superiores whose wrappers were light and dry as paper, but were 95 point cigars. I have also had Bolivar RC's that were almost green and were heavenly. I have also had Bolivar RC's that were maduro and were exceptional. Flavor profiles are different between light and dark, but if the blend is good you are bound to enjoy it.

My advice is to go with someone like Rob who has decades of experience and go with what he recommends. Like looking for RyJ's with those reddish wrappers that seems to deliver every time. Thanks again Rob! :)

Maybe the '12 RA superiors are different but mine are dark and oily...

I agree, you can't judge a cigar by it's wrapper. Most NC's have beautiful dark oily wrappers but most of the time when I fire one up there's no taste to back up the looks.

It's my opinion NCs are sold on looks. There are so many beautiful LE's that have very little flavor other than hot spice. It seems Cubans are not based on looks, but pedigree. I have had a couple cubans that are pale and sometimes ugly that outperform the high end beautiful NCs. I bought the ugly Cubans because I read or was told that they were great not because they were limited or popular.

I agree that smell is way way better indicator...from knowing if they are young/sick or ready to go.

However I am always happy to see an oily sheen...dark not important even if it does look pretty.

The real juicy moment is when you open a box and see lots of plume that tells you aging has been happening in a great way.

Sure it can be aesthetically pleasing when seeing a box with great sheen/wrappers, but its an irrelevant to the cigar. Shouldn't even be taken into account or judged. Ive had so many incredible smokes that looked lifeless and unpromising. It's like how you can't judge a book by it's cover,u have to wait and see how it unfolds then determine a judgement. Sheen surel py nice, but at the end of the day its about how well it smokes IMO.

I like the looks of a well constructed cigar. I also like the idea of winning lotto! They both have about as much in common as wrapper color does with a good smoking experience. I prefer the colorado claro look.

To me a cigar is about 2 percent looks. I want a good smoking experience. I care not whether the guy next to me thinks I am having a good smoking experience based on how my cigar looks. That is about all cigar looks are good for.

Cheers. -the Pig