5th Avenue 10th Anniversary Cigar 1989 - 1999 Review

Cigar: 5th Avenue "10 Jahre" Anniversary Cigar

Paired with Rhum Agricole

Total smoke time 1:40

I was gifted this particular cigar by a very generous BOTL in Germany. It was issued in 1999 for the 10th anniversary of the German importer 5th Avenue. It is in a Churchill format but the only band is the anniversary band, and the marca was never officially confirmed. Rumor has it that they were special versions of RyJ Churchills. If that's the case, I need to get my hands on some 1999 Churchills because this stick tasted leagues better than the best RyJ Churchill I ever had.

My example unfortunately suffered some transport damage so I had to re-glue the wrapper with some gum arabic. Worked like a charm!

Pre-light draw is perfect with just the right amount of resistance. Aroma at cold slightly woody.

First puffs had a little leather but that quickly gave way to sweet hazelnuts with cream. Rather light in body - could easily be a morning cigar. Very even burn. The retrohale reminds me of those canned milk teas that you can buy at 7-11 in Taiwan (and which I love - I need to go back there ASAP!).

Taking it easy on the Rhum since I don't want to overwhelm the very subtle aroma of this cigar. There isn't a whole lot of evolution so far, but I like what I taste. Classy, well-aged tobacco! Ash holds very well. Even after the ash falls (on my shirt...) towards the end of the first third, the aromas remain quite subtle - you have to focus on this cigar. I rather enjoy light cigars so I don't mind, but a Partagas smoker would probably complain that there isn't enough oomph in this stick. It seems that even my 1930s clear Havanas have a bit more strength left ;)

In the second third, the aromas turn more woody. Not as much as a HDM Des Dieux, but in the same department. Fantastic burn still. A bit of tangyness kicks in as well. The cream never leaves, though. Delicious! Finally the body builds a bit but this cigar is still firmly in the light category. Retrohaling every puff to get the most of the aromas. Beautiful mix of nuts, cream, wood, and tangyness.

Really not much more to report - the flavors, body, and burn remained the same all the way to the nub.

Final conclusion: if I was lucky enough to own one of the 100 special humidors with these sticks, I would probably smoke them all in rather short order - I don't believe they will get better with further age and there is danger that they will just get too weak after a few more years. Very enjoyable today, if a bit monotonous. I am very grateful to the donor for giving me the opportunity to try this rare cigar and I'd give it a 92/100.

post-7384-13641654589708.jpg

post-7384-13641654712367.jpg

wore my Birkies till they fell apart (and couldn't be taped back together). Need to get another pair . . . Thanks for the review!

Bought mine at Amazon - better deal than bringing them in from Germany myself :D

• 4 months later...

Hey C.

great review! I finally found the time smoke one of my copies from the same source.

I paired mine with water only as I usually do when reviewing cigars and taking notes to publish.

My experience is very similar, unfortunately mine did suffer from weakness in the second third.

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (1 von 8)-332x221.jpg

Cold smell is slightly sweet, very subtle and loaded with vintage tobacco.

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (2 von 8)-332x221.jpg

Throughout the first third there is mild and sweet ground aroma and hardly any spice; floral, perhaps a bit herbal and very mild. Those aromas get accompanied by very gentle spice and subtle white pepper accents on the retro-hale later on; perhaps cinnamon or nutmeg. It is very difficult to get hold of the aroma as it is so subtle. The sweet aroma might have a nutty (hazelnut) and sugar candy character. From time to time tanginess makes its way through, the Cuban twang, but delicate and tamed. Towards the end of this third the sweetness decreases significantly.

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (3 von 8)-332x221.jpg

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (4 von 8)-332x221.jpg

As already mentioned the second third is suffering from decrease in intensity and complexity of aromas. Around the start of the second third the cigar begins toweaken. A slightly bitter almond aroma is most prominent with some leather and a hint of herbes in the background. Around half-time the cigar begins to come back with more pleasant woody aromas but not on the cedar side.

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (5 von 8)-332x221.jpg

At the beginning of the last third the refined sweetness comes back into play. Pure taste of old tobacco and vanilla notes predominate here. The cigar picks up speed again and gains complexity and a bit of strength as well. Some nice saltiness comes to the foreground now and then with the sweetness gaining complexity as well; honey maybe even honeyed roasted nuts, if that makes sense to anybody and the umami sense seems to be triggered here as well. The aroma of this cigar is amazing at this point and very unique.

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (6 von 8)-332x221.jpg

Towards the final this Habanos SA Special Release turns up again slightly: subtle spice comes up again on the retro-hale and complements the sweet, nutty and woody aromas. Roasted coffee beans and a hint of liqorice join with the liqorice getting more dominant at the end literally leaving a juicy impression.

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (7 von 8)-332x221.jpg

Smoke produced by this special release churchill is full and creamy over the whole length; burn was perfect, razor sharp and as though painted. The ash was a very light grey, slightly grained and very firm and stable.

Habanos SA 10 Jahre 5th Avenue 1999 (8 von 8)-332x221.jpg