How long do you hold the smoke in your mouth?

Curious, after you suck the smoke into your mouth, about how long do you keep it there before exhaling. I've been at this for a while, but sometimes wonder if I'm getting all the flavours that others describe... Might be blowing out too fast...

I agree with the 2-3 secs with a slow roll/exhale to let the smoke out...if it is a really light stick then exhale out some through my nose to enhance the flavor.

Also depends on if I am sitting and smoking vs working on something/walking with the cigar in my teeth,,,then I tend to release the smoke quicker to keep from inhaling.

A few seconds. I alternate between exhale and retrohale or I will exhale some and retrohale the rest of the puff to maximize flavor :)

2-3 seconds and like others have posted, I roll the smoke around in my mouth. I also occasionally hold the cigar under my nose (@6 inches away ) and smell the direct smoke that rises from the foot without drawing on it. I was taught that trick many years ago and it helps to give me a better appreciation of the fragrance of a great cigar

I mix it up, especially with a cigar that's not as familiar to me. I find that with some cigars, a double puff delivers more flavors. With others, I hold the smoke in my mouth longer. I almost always retrohale at least some of each draw. I also vary the firmness of the my draw, as some cigars get too harsh if drawn on firmly, and others deliver more pepper/spice with a firmer draw (which I usually like).

'Til I'm thru tasting it daydream.gif May be from 3 to 7 seconds

Mostly just let it roll out of my mouth for a few seconds

"That's What"

- She

I am very habitual about this, i take a puff and then let about 25% out immediately through the mouth, then retrohale about 50% and then let the last 25% out my mouth, never really thought about it until now but this is how i smoke every cigar...

I am very habitual about this, i take a puff and then let about 25% out immediately through the mouth, then retrohale about 50% and then let the last 25% out my mouth, never really thought about it until now but this is how i smoke every cigar...

I was about to write something but think you resume it too well. That's about what I do too, I know I retrohale at every puff, I kinda don't understand why some folks just don't do it, as it was a revelation for me,you can taste the flavors even more easily by retrohaling!

So now a tougher question... I don't know how to retrohale, can anybody describe how this is done?

Sounds like it adds a new dimension that I definitely want to experience.

So now a tougher question... I don't know how to retrohale, can anybody describe how this is done?

Hmmm bit of a tough one to describe. The idea is to take a puff, let some out of your mouth, then close your mouth off and "push" the remaining smoke back in the mouth far enough while exhaling through the nose that the smoke finds the "exit" passage to the nose at the back of the throat. I have heard it described as a swallowing motion while exhaling through the nose. At no point should you ever be taking the smoke in to your lungs. Bottom line is once you learn it it's the simplest thing to do but takes some practice and usually a little bit of "uncomfortable" error to get it right...

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=109562&hl=olfactory

Hmmm bit of a tough one to describe. The idea is to take a puff, let some out of your mouth, then close your mouth off and "push" the remaining smoke back in the mouth far enough while exhaling through the nose that the smoke finds the "exit" passage to the nose at the back of the throat. I have heard it described as a swallowing motion while exhaling through the nose. At no point should you ever be taking the smoke in to your lungs. Bottom line is once you learn it it's the simplest thing to do but takes some practice and usually a little bit of "uncomfortable" error to get it right...

Yup. I've also found that sometimes opening your mouth as you retrohale opens up a little bit of extra flavor also.

Also, with some cigars, such as RASS, puffing, sniffing some of the smoke from the cigar with your nose before retrolahing tastes ohhhh soo good!

Couple of seconds for me. I'd like to blow smoke out of my nose cause it did bring in some different flavours for me once but when I did it it hurt like hell and every time I've tried to do it since, I just can't, it just doesn't work.

I've tried covering my mouth and blowing through my nose but I still see it seeping through my fingers!

I want to do it but the plumbing won't flow that way

Couple of seconds for me. I'd like to blow smoke out of my nose cause it did bring in some different flavours for me once but when I did it it hurt like hell and every time I've tried to do it since, I just can't, it just doesn't work.

I've tried covering my mouth and blowing through my nose but I still see it seeping through my fingers!

I want to do it but the plumbing won't flow that way

Well you got to do it with milder cigar at first or even pipe it will be easier. Most important you have to blow out like 75% of the smoke with your mouth and the rest with your nose. With practice you'll be able to retro whenever you want.