The undisputed greatest sportsperson of all time...

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Global recognition would have to go to Jordan. Barring Cumbria, just his silhouette alone is the most recognizable sports icon. Above Beckham, Messi and other sports stars. Any sport that can be played in both urban and suburban areas have a huge advantage over sports like soccer, golf and baseball. It appeals to more people due to access. Not saying you can't play soccer in back alleys but definitely being able to play a certain sport gets more attention than otherwise.

This is a great point. In terms of access. In saying that, it would still go to football (aka soccer) since you only really need a ball. Whereas basketball, you need a ball and a hoop.

So, still keen to see who beat Messi in this Eurosport doco! CohibaStevie?

huh cool I guess, I'm guessing that the global sales were 99% north america though right?

it might come as a surprise but honestly, Baseball, Basketball, NFL, hockey etc are just not shown here. NFL has started appearing on pay monthly tv subscription services in the last few years but it's still an incredibly tiny market section

Darts and snooker seriously dwarfs all the above mentioned sports put together here in terms of viewers and popularity etc, as the most 'americanised' country outside of the US I'm guessing the Uk is a pretty good standard to base things on

LOL. Have you ever BEEN outside of the UK? ;):P

No, I disagree with you saying that the UK is the most Americanized. Canada is right here... Also, hockey is HUGE in every country in Eastern Europe. Russia, Finland, Germany, Sweden, Belarus, Slovakia, Czech Rep, etc...And the NBA and baseball are HUGE in the other "most important" market, China.

If this is truly world-wide, I bet that Jordan is far, FAR, more famous than Messi or Beckham in China, and obviously the USA. Thats almost a full quarter of the world-wide population.

LOL. My gawd.....AGREED. :thumbsup:

LOL. Have you ever BEEN outside of the UK? wink.pngtongue.png

it is 20 years or more since i lived in the UK but that was where i got to first enjoy NFL. in australia, we'd get the superbowl at some weird hour and you'd watch it but more as that 'curiosity'. in the UK, at least when i was there, it got good coverage. i was a fan long before i lived in the States.

surprised to hear it has apparently receded.

KG, Bradman was certainly the greatest in his sport - but he didn't fill the criteria of "They must have went to considerable lengths to popularise their respective sport and promote it across the world"

KG, Bradman was certainly the greatest in his sport - but he didn't fill the criteria of "They must have went to considerable lengths to popularise their respective sport and promote it across the world"

????

I think Ken hit it with football players, the slums of South America and Africa are where kids play with balls made from trash all day every day and that background has produced some of the World's top football players.

All due respect to North american sports but they just don't get the airtime outside the continent, for people to get known they have to truely have global appeal. I think if someone was asked to name the most famous US sportsman it would be either Tiger Woods, Ali or Lance Armstrong then a huge gap before you started getting the Brad Friedels, Michael Phelps, Golfers, Tennis players etc etc I genuinely don't think anyone would even recognise Jordan or Babe ruth outside of pub quiz players or those who follow the sports. It's probably the same as asking Americans who Phill 'The power' Taylor is biggrin.png

There is a following of NFL in universities here and most have a team and play against other unis but outside of that and London I think it's still more of a novelty

I think Pele and Maradona will even have receded in the under 25's and replaced by the Zidanes, Ronaldos and Messi etc. Certainly they are more people who are spoken of in the same light as Stirling Moss and Roger Bannister etc

LOL. Have you ever BEEN outside of the UK? wink.pngtongue.png

When I do I try to leave the MTV world behind me, I don't think many Greek villages follow NBA or hockey either nyah.gif

For me it's Ali..by a mile ..Bradman is incomparable on the cricket field, and when this country was down and out he gave people hope and something to believe in. As a person he was a class act and a true gentleman. That being said Ali is the greatest boxer that has ever lived. He fought some of the fiercest bouts in boxing history, and became a leader and champion of his people . People may look at him now and say go figure ..But I for one think that he has gained far more than he will ever lose.

Hi, first post for me so hello to all (be kind), anyway such an interesting topic I felt compelled to share my thoughts...

When reading some of these posts you might be forgiven for forgetting the original question. What exactly is the subject of discussion here?: is it the most succesful sportsperson?, the most dominant? the most popular? or perhaps even (bizarrely) the most profitable?

No, the question was in fact who is the 'greatest' sportsperson of all time and in order to answer that question you have to define the quality of greatness. Altough perhaps it would be easier to say what greatness is not.

Well, it is not solely success, or even consistent dominance, nor is it the margin of victory between you and your opponent. No, in order for a success to become a great one the challenge must surely be worthy. Neither should we confuse popularity with greatness, though that may necessary in order to have greatness aknowledged. And it certainly has nothing to do with money.

For me sporting greats are born from great sporting moments. It also has to go beyond just sport. it is the extra meaning that we place on these events, it is their significance in our lives, and what they come to represent at a deeper level. From these arenas come great sportspeople.

If pushed I’d choose Ali, why? because sport is drama and noones story is greater than his. Even though his record is blemished and his private life questionable. he came to represent something more than just boxing. Ali chimed with the politics of the time. A champion who fought against symbolic dark forces, emerging victorious against impossible odds to prove his doubters wrong (and he did it twice). Stirring stuff, and it was.

Sport is, on the face of it, meaningless and inconsequential, why does it matter who scores more goals/runs/tries? Who cares who can run the fastest, it doesn’t actually change anything. Great sportspeople transcend this, they fire your imagination and make you believe it matters.

Sorry if that was a bit longwinded

I think you guys are missing the question - SPORTSPERSON,

not just good athlete, or who made the most money, or who looked best making a dunkshot,

or who sold the most shoes, or who was best at what the ONE thing they did.

Forget the sports part for a minute - who was a great person.....

(sorry Ally, missed your post before posting mine - you covered it!)

^ It's too bad one of the criteria isn't post count!!!

rotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gifrotfl.gif

jester.gif

Bill Russell.

The greatest winner, team player, man of character, and all round great human, never mind he is the winningest professional athlete of all time.

I can't believe no one has mentioned him.

By measurement of good sports person, I'd say no one touches Tim Tebow.

I understand he is a great guy, but I'm guessing there should be an assumption of basic competence at a professional sport before considering someone the "greatest sportsman o all time. So, if you're a football quarterback, you should have to at least be able to make a team as a starting QB before being considered the greatest of all time. Or maybe that's setting the bar too high?