The undisputed greatest sportsperson of all time...

The sales of Air Jordan's have more to do with Nike`s popularity as a global brand, and the rise of Hip Hop culture and fashion than MJ's popularity as a sports star outside of the US. Soccer is easily the most watched world sport even in countries where basketball has a decent following (Greece being one in fact CQ). Anyway, i'm a football (soccer) fan through and through but for me Ali is the greatest of all time. He truly transcended his sport and became the first global sporting superstar of the electronic age.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Jordan was an incredible athlete and probably the best modern day NBA player, but if the criteria to best/dominate is the most wins? Bill Russell has 11 rings to Jordan's 6. And Russell did it in 2 less seasons.

I don't think there was a more dominate force in basketball then Bill Russell, he controlled a game through defense and averaging 22 rebounds a game is more impressive to me then averaging 22 points.

But I understand why there are so many Jordan lovers, the guy was great. arguably the best athlete and offensive player ever. i just can't call him the most dominate and best NBA player when there is a guy who almost doubled his championships.

Russell struggled with the media and public, whichs hurts his place in these conversations, also played in a time where there wasnt the media we have now and jordan came in after Magic and Bird revived a failing NBA. 11 rings in 13 seasons? will never be seen again.

Yes you can. He did not dominate the game the way some of the other athletes dominated their sport. He excelled, but so did Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Snider, etc...of that era.

Did he endorse any products? That was a part of it as well.

I punted the endorsement issue as it is a completely lame criterion. Review Clemente's stats. He was pretty dominant.

Jordan is a rather obvious choice though he has proven to be a fairly average guy since he left the Bulls. The Wizards run? Oh boi

I think Jordan was an incredible athlete and probably the best modern day NBA player, but if the criteria to best/dominate is the most wins? Bill Russell has 11 rings to Jordan's 6. And Russell did it in 2 less seasons.

I don't think there was a more dominate force in basketball then Bill Russell, he controlled a game through defense and averaging 22 rebounds a game is more impressive to me then averaging 22 points.

But I understand why there are so many Jordan lovers, the guy was great. arguably the best athlete and offensive player ever. i just can't call him the most dominate and best NBA player when there is a guy who almost doubled his championships.

Russell struggled with the media and public, whichs hurts his place in these conversations, also played in a time where there wasnt the media we have now and jordan came in after Magic and Bird revived a failing NBA. 11 rings in 13 seasons? will never be seen again.

If that's how we measure ...

Robert Horry > Michael Jordan

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If that's how we measure ...

Robert Horry > Michael Jordan

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

If the best player is who has won the most, then yes.

The problem with this argument is basketball is a 5 man sport, winning takes all 5 guys.

But, a guy that wins 11 out of 13 is special.

Horry was a lucky to play on 3 great teams.

I think you guys are missing the question - SPORTSPERSON...

Forget the sports part for a minute - who was a great person.....

Uh...what exactly has he dominated?

Merely responding - albeit sarcastically - to his interpretation.

Undertaker FTW

If the best player is who has won the most, then yes.

The problem with this argument is basketball is a 5 man sport, winning takes all 5 guys.

But, a guy that wins 11 out of 13 is special.

Horry was a lucky to play on 3 great teams.

really that cherry picker? come on at least name a starter leagues apart

Not really. 162 game average: 94 runs, 16 HRs, 87 RBI, 6 SB, .834 OPS, .317 BA. One MVP award, 12 Gold Gloves, 4 batting titles. He played good D and hit a bunch of triples.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/clemero01.shtml

Look at the players he compares with. Hardly a whos who...

This may be sacreligious, but Clemente and Jackie Robinson may very well be the most overrated players in baseball histroy if just looking at "stats".

The four batting titles, two rings, and MVP award get you into the conversation. They clearly prove legitimacy. The greatest person involved with the sports industry argument is made by his actions off the field. Review Frank's lengthy review.

It is all subjective but Clemente should certainly be in the conversation for greatest sportsperson given the full scope of his life.

Please keep in mind that he played before steroids as well. Guys like Reggie and Pete mighta been better players during the 70s, but they were not better sportsmen.

really that cherry picker? come on at least name a starter leagues apart

Ok, i'll say it again :) If the best is who won the most then Russell is the best.

Do I think Horry is the best? Not even close.

I know Jordan fans have a hard time accepting Russell's accomplishments. I get it, but it happened. The guy won 11 out of 13 and was part of the most dominate team ever, possibly in any sport.

Ok, i'll say it again smile.png If the best is who won the most then Russell is the best.

Do I think Horry is the best? Not even close.

I know Jordan fans have a hard time accepting Russell's accomplishments. I get it, but it happened. The guy won 11 out of 13 and was part of the most dominate team ever, possibly in any sport.

st george won the australian rugby league comp 11 straight, i think. an extraordinary feat and great team, though no one played in the lot, i believe. for americans, think an NFL team winning 11 straight superbowls.

when you say 'best', do you mean of all or for basketball?

st george won the australian rugby league comp 11 straight, i think. an extraordinary feat and great team, though no one played in the lot, i believe. for americans, think an NFL team winning 11 straight superbowls.

when you say 'best', do you mean of all or for basketball?

Hey Ken, that sounds like an incredible accomplishment. I don't know much about Aussie rugby.

I was talking NBA basketball. My point is that it's hard to call one player in a sport the best ever when there is another who basically doubled his success.

no argument at all. perhaps there should be two categories. one for individual sports and one for team sports.

Totally agree, in my opinion it is so hard to name the greatest one player in team sports.

And if winning is not the criteria for who is best, then how do we pick the best?

Let's not for get the two NCAA championships and an olympic gold medal.

It's kind of a dumb question, "Who is the best?" There are categories, team, solo, amateur and professional.

Where does Michael Phelps fit in to this. Has any one dominated a sport like him?

Where does Michael Phelps fit in to this. Has any one dominated a sport like him?

i think phelps is certainly number one and the greatest olmpic record we have seen but dawn fraser wasn't bad. with phelps (and some east european woman), the only swimmers to have won three consecutive gold medals in the same event. for her, the 100 metres freestyle. and she held the world record for it for 15 years!

had not bureaucratic idiots stepped in, she would have almost certainly won 4 gold medlas for that event (she won plenty of other medals though nothing like phelps' tally) and possibly even five. in the 64 olympics, her last, she walked in the opening ceremony after officials decreed that she should not (clearly didn't do much harm) and wore the wrong bathing suit - apparently found the sponsor's suit uncomfortable so she swam in an old one of heres. she was also accused of sneaking into the emperor's palace and stealing the flag - which she always denied. for all this, our very own officials banned for her 10 years (thank god, she didn't bite anyone). when the 68 olympics rolled around, they lifted the ban but not in time for her to compete. so she went out and swam a faster time than the gold medal winner (not bad without training). and then in 72 she still had the world record, i think. not so sure about that but she surely would have had 4 golds for the 100 metres freestyle if allowed. that puts her up there.

but agreed re phelps, extraordinary performance.

greatest sportsman???this story comes to mind...

on sept 24th 1988...lawrence lemieux...while sailing during the seoul olympics...committed probably the most unselfish act in the history of the modern olympics...in second place at the time(lawrence figgered he had a pretty good chance of catching the first place boat)...he hove to in order to rescue 2 singaporean sailors whos boat had capsized...thus giving up a chance at an olympic medal.

at the end of the games...j a samaranch awarded lemieux the coubertain medal(the only honour that the olmpic committee considers a higher honour than an olympic gold medal)...while awarding the medal j a samaranch stated"By your sportsmanship, self-sacrifice and courage,..you embody all that is right with the Olympic ideal."

the word sportsman and the word sportsmanship are are(i feel)interchangable ... therebye making him if not the greatest sportsman of all time...at least someone who deserves consideration.

didnt make millions

didnt sell shoes

dominated no sport

just the greatest sportsman

certainly a great canadian

derrek

he lives 1/2 an hour down the road from me.

greatest sportsman???this story comes to mind...

on sept 24th 1988...lawrence lemieux...while sailing during the seoul olympics...committed probably the most unselfish act in the history of the modern olympics...in second place at the time(lawrence figgered he had a pretty good chance of catching the first place boat)...he hove to in order to rescue 2 singaporean sailors whos boat had capsized...thus giving up a chance at an olympic medal.

at the end of the games...j a samaranch awarded lemieux the coubertain medal(the only honour that the olmpic committee considers a higher honour than an olympic gold medal)...while awarding the medal j a samaranch stated"By your sportsmanship, self-sacrifice and courage,..you embody all that is right with the Olympic ideal."

the word sportsman and the word sportsmanship are are(i feel)interchangable ... therebye making him if not the greatest sportsman of all time...at least someone who deserves consideration.

great story.

similar to an older one with an australian runner, john landy. in the '56 national championship just pre the olympics (where he won bronze), landy stopped and doubled back to check on fellow runner Ron Clarke after another runner clipped Clarke's heel, causing him to fall early in the third lap of the race. Clarke had been leading the race, got back to his feet and started running again; Landy followed. in the final two laps Landy made up a large deficit to win the race, which we consider one of the great moments in Australian sporting history. and there is even a statue of the moment.