The undisputed greatest sportsperson of all time...

Though I wasn't alive when he won his first Super Bowl, I say Joe Montana. Four Super Bowl wins and should have been four Super Bowl MVPs(Jerry Rice couldn't win an MVP without someone throwing to him) in a career shortened by injury. He also was one-half of the brainchild of creating an offense that is still being widely used in the game, the west-coast offense. In the final years of his career he took a crappy Chiefs team to the playoffs two years in a row.

Michael Jordan legacy is based on stats moreso than changing the way the game is played...leaving your mark on the sport after you've retired is a lasting legacy.

I mean if you're talking about Jordan's accomplishments in scoring and popularizing a sport, Wayne Gretzky beats Jordan out. Gretzky holds nearly all major records by leaps and bounds over others. He popularized the sport in non-traditional markets, paving the way for successful hockey clubs in LA, San Jose, Dallas, Tampa, Anaheim, Miami, Phoenix, Carolina, Nashville. They moved the goal line further away from the end boards(until 2005) to give more room behind the net so others could more easily use Gretzky's tactics of creating goals for other players.

Actually, I may have just talked myself into changing my opinion to Gretzky.

and for sport outside north america?

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uh-oh.....

Magic over Jordan anyday.

on that, we will never agree. i claim no particular expertise in assessing basketball but i watched a lot of jordan way back when, and a reasonable amount of magic. jordan was a class above everyone.