Nespresso

jazzmonkey

I know this will be blasphemy.. but how does the Nespresso compare to the Aldi Expressi system?

I have a Nespesso U. My sis has the Aldi version. Its coffee is ok. Def drinkable for a quick morning hit. But if you enjoy your coffee it just doesnt match up for quality or variety. Plus her milk frother broke and its about 7 months old.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I purchased one and got rid of it 3 months later... I just did not enjoy it at all.... I invested in a Jura espresso machine to replace it, and I could not be any happier!

We have one here and we love it, so does everyone else who comes over. A priest (who studied in Rome and has an espresso machine that costs 1k+) came over and tried it and ended up buying a nespresso

I'm a dedicated Kazaar man myself, but when enjoying an espresso with a cigar (rare for me) I can't go past the light fruitiness of the Volluto. Perfect taste match with milder cigars, and light enoug

Has anybody treid the new Indian Masala Chai??

I recently got the Nespresso U Bundle with the frother, and I went ahead and got 150 capsules in the mail, so I'm stocked up for now, but was curious to see who has tried this yet and your thoguhts?

• 1 month later...

A Nespresso actual retail store front has opened up by me. It is awesome!!! Very nice and classy. It even has a little bar area. They have of course all of the machines and accessories. (Accessories I've never even seen before) They have all of the pods, and you can buy one sleeve at a time if you want. They have 6 machines set up to do demos and give free samples of as many pods and/or drink combinations as you can stomach. They even give away Nespresso milk and dark chocolate squares.

I had previously stayed away from some of the flavored pods (for good reason), but after the store manager was explaining to me the newly formulated recipe for their Chocolate and Vanilla pods for 2014 and they already had some in stock, he convinced me to try a sample of each and explained how they are completely different than before. So I did, and WOW, they were amazing, especially mixed with an additional pod or with some frothed milk. They were delicious and very natural tasting, (unlike the synthetic and imitation flavors I experienced previously in the flavored pods) I immediately bought 4 sleeves of each, I was very impressed. Then he made me a latte with the new season Chai pod and that was fantastic!!!, so I bought some sleeves for that. Nespresso is awesome!!! I could never go back to any other machine!!!! It's not just better, it's overwhelmingly better than everything else on the market, not even a close competition.

I also saw some of the new machines for 2014, wow - cool things coming down the pipe soon!

Nespresso-Store-Grand-Cru-Wall.jpg

940_448_Nespresso%20San%20Francisco%20Boutique%201.jpg

Where is this location?

A Nespresso actual retail store front has opened up by me. It is awesome!!! Very nice and classy. It even has a little bar area. They have of course all of the machines and accessories. (Accessories I've never even seen before) They have all of the pods, and you can buy one sleeve at a time if you want. They have 6 machines set up to do demos and give free samples of as many pods and/or drink combinations as you can stomach. They even give away Nespresso milk and dark chocolate squares.

I had previously stayed away from some of the flavored pods (for good reason), but after the store manager was explaining to me the newly formulated recipe for their Chocolate and Vanilla pods for 2014 and they already had some in stock, he convinced me to try a sample of each and explained how they are completely different than before. So I did, and WOW, they were amazing, especially mixed with an additional pod or with some frothed milk. They were delicious and very natural tasting, (unlike the synthetic and imitation flavors I experienced previously in the flavored pods) I immediately bought 4 sleeves of each, I was very impressed. Then he made me a latte with the new season Chai pod and that was fantastic!!!, so I bought some sleeves for that. Nespresso is awesome!!! I could never go back to any other machine!!!! It's not just better, it's overwhelmingly better than everything else on the market, not even a close competition.

I also saw some of the new machines for 2014, wow - cool things coming down the pipe soon!

Nespresso-Store-Grand-Cru-Wall.jpg

940_448_Nespresso%20San%20Francisco%20Boutique%201.jpg

Forgive my ignorance but I know Kazaar is the most intense espresso they offer but which espresso has the highest caffeine content?

I drink espressos purely to wake me up and give me a kick.

Also, to make a double espresso like in the shops, is it just a case of using two capsules as the lungo is a watered down version?

Forgive my ignorance but I know Kazaar is the most intense espresso they offer but which espresso has the highest caffeine content?

I drink espressos purely to wake me up and give me a kick.

Also, to make a double espresso like in the shops, is it just a case of using two capsules as the lungo is a watered down version?

I went into a Nespresso store and got the answers.

Basically they said just use one capsule as the caffeine content is around 110mg compared to a normal shot in starbucks, nero, costa which is around 50mg.

Another question I have is, I did a shot of kazaar this morning. Our of curiosity I then pressed the espresso button again and it poured another shot. Can 1 capsule provide two equal strength shots? Was this just residue from the previous capsule? Help!?!

Short answer, no.

All you did was pump water through the used capsule, ie over-extracting the coffee. The coffee from a second extraction would be weak and bitter.

Cool, thanks for replying Fuzz. So if I go to make a new espresso with a new capsule straight after, am I best "draining out" the previous espresso shot then? If I don't, will my next shot just be the leftovers?

There is little to no residue left over in the machine after the shot has been extracted. The automatic machines are programmed to pump through the capsule a measured amount of water, the manual ones will continue to pump water until you stop it.

Not sure what you mean by "draining out" the previous shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I went into a Nespresso store and got the answers.

Basically they said just use one capsule as the caffeine content is around 110mg compared to a normal shot in starbucks, nero, costa which is around 50mg.

Another question I have is, I did a shot of kazaar this morning. Our of curiosity I then pressed the espresso button again and it poured another shot. Can 1 capsule provide two equal strength shots? Was this just residue from the previous capsule? Help!?!

I do not know where they get their information, but Nespresso and independent sites list the espresso pods at no more than 70mg and the Luego pods at as high as 80mg. A grande cup of Starbucks coffee has about 330mg of caffeine. A Starbucks shot is 75mg. The luego pods have more caffeine than the espresso pods. I love the green luego as a regular cup of coffee and stick to the purple pods for espresso. I also never use more than 3 pods for a large cup of coffee and only use 2 for my espresso.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm probably going to get a machine in London when i'm there. It will be rarely used (1-3 cups a week). I would like a small machine that i can carry in airplane luggage (check in). Looking at the U and the Pixie machines. The U looks great but theres lots of reviews with leaks in the water tank or something and the machien physically bruning out within a month. Anyone experienced this?

55423_wild_hybrid_1.jpg

I'm probably going to get a machine in London when i'm there. It will be rarely used (1-3 cups a week). I would like a small machine that i can carry in airplane luggage (check in). Looking at the U and the Pixie machines. The U looks great but theres lots of reviews with leaks in the water tank or something and the machien physically bruning out within a month. Anyone experienced this?

I know this is a Nespresso thread, which I also have and truly enjoy but if you will only be using it for 1-3 times a week, I'd seriously look into the "handpresso" ... http://www.handpresso.com/

I have no first hand experience but have considered it when traveling for work. Reviews on it seem to be good and a lot more portable than the nespresso.

*EDIT* ... oops, re-read your message ... thought you were looking to transport the machine back and forth ... never mind then ;-)

I have a U with zero problems, I love it! I make about 3 cups a day! No problems!

THat handpresso looks absoultey awesome!!! I think i'm going to go check that out. Cheers for the heads up. The same place in london that sells the handpress sells nespresso too so i'll see them both. Awesome, cheers for the tips folks:)

My U has already been in once as the coffee started pouring down inside the machine rather than coming out of the spout. And I think it will need to go in again as nearly every other capsule now it seems to crush more than it should rather than piercing properly, then it can't force the water through, the lights all start flashing and you have to reboot and try another capsule.

Great coffee but this particular machine is a bit pony.

My U has already been in once as the coffee started pouring down inside the machine rather than coming out of the spout. And I think it will need to go in again as nearly every other capsule now it seems to crush more than it should rather than piercing properly, then it can't force the water through, the lights all start flashing and you have to reboot and try another capsule.

Great coffee but this particular machine is a bit pony.

How old is your U?

• 1 month later...

I bought the Aeropress while in London and it is great! Such a pure taste of coffee! I can even do a good turkish coffee brew with the coffe mixed with cardamon. Highly recommend for easy hassel free coffee.

I got a pixie last year, and I love it. I was blown away by the quality of coffee that came from these capsules. Nespresso has great variety, and it's great fun to experiment and try new beans.

So far, I like the linizio a lot. Very balanced, but still good strength, and the arpeggio is fantastic.

Lots of talk about the Kazar, so I just ordered a sleeve in my new order.