I May Catch a Bigger Fish ...

str8dog

That is awesome. Truly awesome.

I know! I know!!!

Icing on the cake to a spectacular, 3 days after ice out, 23C, not a cloud in the sky for 4 days, not a single blackfly or mozzie, lots of cigars and libations canoe trip!

Here's a sample of that fish's smaller cousin.

post-9367-0-92837300-1368041412_thumb.jp

nice fish. caught on?

Tx Ken. Mepp's Comet #3 in gold. I've pretty much emptied my tackle box of everything else and filled it with these in gold and silver. Caught this 22"er and another 17"er and 2 x 18" lake trout.

Can you get Mepp's down there? If not, I'll send you some.

Mepp's Comet #3 in gold. I've pretty much emptied my tackle box of everything else and filled it with these in gold and silver. Caught this 22"er and another 17"er and 2 x 18" lake trout.

always find it interesting you guys measure by length. over here and nz, it is all about weight. we get some 'snakey' fish that are long but light, so for me it works. and the first big trout i got was not very long but it was extremely fat.

just back from a few days in nz. tough trip - right at the tail end of the season which can be good or crap, as you get bigger fish but fewer of them and the weather can rule it all out. lot of wind this time. my casting goes to custard. the guide mostly using worm flies. think you guys call them the san juan worm.

got one pushing 8 lbs and a few between 5 and 5 1/2 but that wa sall. that said, any trip with a trout pushing 8 is something that you have to be happy with. will post some photos when i get a chance.

Very nice trout!!!! :clap:

And no, str8dog, I don't believe they get Mepp's down there. I sent Rob back with a good assortment when he was here for the first MegaHerf, and he said they were very unique compared to what they get there (I think that he and his son Tom have had some good luck with them, too).

always find it interesting you guys measure by length. over here and nz, it is all about weight. we get some 'snakey' fish that are long but light, so for me it works. and the first big trout i got was not very long but it was extremely fat.

just back from a few days in nz. tough trip - right at the tail end of the season which can be good or crap, as you get bigger fish but fewer of them and the weather can rule it all out. lot of wind this time. my casting goes to custard. the guide mostly using worm flies. think you guys call them the san juan worm.

got one pushing 8 lbs and a few between 5 and 5 1/2 but that wa sall. that said, any trip with a trout pushing 8 is something that you have to be happy with. will post some photos when i get a chance.

Didn't have a weigh scale with us so length was all I could definitively measure as my tape is glued to my paddle and made it too hard to get its girth. It's gutted and in the freezer now awaiting a trip to the taxidermist.

I will weigh the empty carcass, but in the meantime, I don't think this guide http://users.eastlin...yfly/weight.htm is too far off the mark.

And BTW Ken, an 8 lb speck is truly a trophy. Good for you!

That is one hell of a nice brookie. Where did you catch it?

Tx tmac. Algonquin Highlands, south of the park. Couple of portages in from the Nunikani dam on Big Hawk Lake. .

I'll share the lake with you, but I'd rather not leave it on a public forum. email me.

Didn't have a weigh scale with us so length was all I could definitively measure as my tape is glued to my paddle and made it too hard to get its girth. It's gutted and in the freezer now awaiting a trip to the taxidermist.

I will weigh the empty carcass, but in the meantime, I don't think this guide http://users.eastlin...yfly/weight.htm is too far off the mark.

And BTW Ken, an 8 lb speck is truly a trophy. Good for you!

a very odd trout, the one i got. when it made its first leap, it looked a cracker but then it didn't fight much and when i got it in, i was thinking 5, might push 6. even when we could see it clearly. both the guide and i were very surprised when it pushed 8. just one of those 'heavy' trout. the 5 lbers fought a hell of a lot more than the big one. strange. i suspect that the biggie might have been caught before and so they sort of go along because they know they'll be released 9all catch and release here). we did keep and stuff a trout that my old man caught about 40 years ago. but only because it was so small. about 10 inches. he was amused.

Very nice trout!!!! clap.gif

And no, str8dog, I don't believe they get Mepp's down there. I sent Rob back with a good assortment when he was here for the first MegaHerf, and he said they were very unique compared to what they get there (I think that he and his son Tom have had some good luck with them, too).

Tx SAR ...I use them for bass, pickerel and pike as well...gotta be Comet though (sometimes with a split shot or two), Aglia runs too shallow ... and Ken, if you don't mind tossing hardware occaisionally, the offer still stands to send you a few.

Here's a pic that Newfoundlanders will appreciate.

post-9367-0-20199500-1368061747_thumb.jp

Tx SAR ...I use them for bass, pickerel and pike as well...gotta be Comet though (sometimes with a split shot or two), Aglia runs too shallow ... and Ken, if you don't mind tossing hardware occaisionally, the offer still stands to send you a few.

Here's a pic that Newfoundlanders will appreciate.

very kind. love to give them a shot - though the season is over now for another six months. sadly.

and kissing a fish is one thing but a gutted fish?

i remember kissing my first bonefish (a very rex hunt thing) in cuba and the poor guide almost fell into the water in shock. he got used to it but always thought it odd.

kissing a fish is one thing but a gutted fish?

Meant I had a handle to hold him with only one hand, LOL.

I've got to go shopping for more. I had a Kevin Costner "Tin Cup" moment and decorated a hanging maple like a Christmas tree, LOL. I'll pick up some extras. Send me your addy.

a very odd trout, the one i got. when it made its first leap, it looked a cracker but then it didn't fight much and when i got it in, i was thinking 5, might push 6. even when we could see it clearly. both the guide and i were very surprised when it pushed 8. just one of those 'heavy' trout. the 5 lbers fought a hell of a lot more than the big one. strange. i suspect that the biggie might have been caught before and so they sort of go along because they know they'll be released 9all catch and release here). we did keep and stuff a trout that my old man caught about 40 years ago. but only because it was so small. about 10 inches. he was amused.

Brook trout up here aren't known for jumping. Thats a rainbow thing.

Brook trout up here aren't known for jumping. Thats a rainbow thing.

this was a brown. they don't jump quite as much as rainbows but some of them will leap a lot. a big golden brown trout in the air is a sight to behold.

and many thanks, address sent.

Caught a few browns up to 12lbs out of Lake Ontario tribs and they were strong fighters, but landing this guy excited me more!

It'll probably be late next week by the time I pick the spinners up and get them off to you.

Man... It has been years since I have went fly fishing. The rods are probably bored by now sitting in the garage. Such a fun time. Will see if I can dust them off and at least practice some casts. Need to keep the technique up. There is not much for fly fishing around North Dakota/Minnesota border. Going to email a friend in Montana and see when we can work up a trip.

• 2 weeks later...

Ken, just back from the post office. Your package is on the way. Took the frozen fishy with me to weigh. Gutted and probably slightly dessicated from the freeezer, it was 3lbs 6oz .... so a solid 4lbs intact.