chainsaw recommendations

Another vote for Stihl. I worked for a tree business from the ages of 15 thru 22. We used a whole range of small trim saws up thru a Stihl 066 with a three foot bar. Going down the list would be Jonsered then Husqvarna. Anything after Husky is a waste.

As others have said Stihl are great. I work in a profession where cutting is a must and a life and death thing and we only use Stihl. Great saws and will cut through anything and as long as you do routing maintenance they start every time.

I have used on my parent's farm. The Stihl is my choice if you are going to do a lot of work, but if you are only doing a little amount of work the Hasqvarna is an easy start chainsaw and the chain tension design is very easy to use. But the most important thing is maintenance and keeping the chain sharp makes a massive difference.

I have used on my parent's farm. The Stihl is my choice if you are going to do a lot of work, but if you are only doing a little amount of work the Hasqvarna.....

So obviously, you're quite familiar with the husky........

thanks to everyone who commented on this unorthordox thread.

I am trying to figure out which model to get. I am split between the MS391, 261 and 362. The last two are pro models and the 391 is the top in the forsetry/landscaping with 4.5HP. I will be heading to my Stihl dealer tomorrow morning and need to choose a saw.

Although I am not a professional, should I opt for a pro model which might last a little longer than the 391? Prices are 261,580$ 362, 700$ and the 391, 600$

Thanks again amigos !!!

get the one that the Texas chainsaw massacre guy uses... that thing is da bomb

That would be the Poulan 245a in yellow.

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to everyone who commented on this unorthordox thread.

I am trying to figure out which model to get. I am split between the MS391, 261 and 362. The last two are pro models and the 391 is the top in the forsetry/landscaping with 4.5HP. I will be heading to my Stihl dealer tomorrow morning and need to choose a saw.

Although I am not a professional, should I opt for a pro model which might last a little longer than the 391? Prices are 261,580$ 362, 700$ and the 391, 600$

Thanks again amigos !!!

What did you end up getting.

• 1 month later...

What did you end up getting.

a little late with my response but i got a used ms260. The saw is in great shape and I got a good deal on it. Bought all the safety gear, hat, pants, boots, but it's been raining so much I used it only once.

Thanks again to everyone here for all their great advice !!!

Stihl saws are excellent, sturdy and easy to maintain.

Don't neglect safety gear and training. Seriously, there is a lot of potential energy in trees. When hanging or under tension they can easily kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Use a mate, wedges, don't drink and practice running away.

Stihl saws are excellent, sturdy and easy to maintain.

Don't neglect safety gear and training. Seriously, there is a lot of potential energy in trees. When hanging or under tension they can easily kill you if you don't know what you are doing. Use a mate, wedges, don't drink and practice running away.

LOL. Great advice. I grew up in a country / farmstead / rural home here in southwestern Ontario, as my family's home was in the middle of a 25 acre bushlot. My dad and I would go out and cut lumber down every fall, to chop, stack, and pile to use the following year (wood that's seasoned for 6 months to a year burns better and cleaner). We'd do roughly 12 to 14 cords of wood every year to burn during the winter in the wood stove and fireplace that heated our home.

Hated it at the time (three or four weekends full of dropping trees and cutting and piling wood). But, looking back, very cost beneficial, and a great learning and growing experience for my Dad and I.

And no (human) limbs lost or maimed either. LOL.

Stihl going, there's a good reason for that saying. I have used a mini-boss 170 almost daily for professional pruning and light felling. Rarely misses a beat and that is the cheapest saw they make!