What happened to Horror films?

habanos1972

My wife rented 4 horror movies for me this week. I have been sick, so she thought it would be a treat for me. Everyone was worse then the other. It seems the movie companies are just focused on sagas, like Paranormal activity 1-34. I realy enjoyed the Horror genre, and I appreciated actors like Vincent Price. Does anyone have a favorite Horror flick, something that is under the radar?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Old Boy, Tale of Two Sisters, Suicide Club, V/H/S, Martyrs, Frontier(s), Anti-Christ (not completely horror but very thrilling and deep), Let the Right One In, The Awakening, Mum and Dad, and many mor

Most of the good horror is from France, Japan, or Korea these days.

Martyrs, Inside, and Seitan are all good, bent French horror films. I used the English title translations to facilitate the search.

Audition is a damn good Japanese film. There are many others. Hollywood has been ripping off Asian horror for years.

Old Boy and other films by the Korean director Park, while not strictly horror, are generally quite excellent.

These have little in common with Vincent Price however. I think that ship has sailed.

I stay well clear of horror films. I know its all make-believe but I feel really uncomfortable watching people in distress. I have a friend however that can watch anything, from horror films to Jihadist beheading to 2 girls / 1 cup. I've questioned him many a time about how it does not affect him and he tells me that its an experience like a roller-coaster, you're open to being shocked. When I was a tiny child, I picked up the cover of a horror flick in the rental shop and on the back was a picture of a guy strapped down and drilled through his cheek. That image never left me and as a child I was perplexed as to why someone would do that to someone else. Call me a wuss!

A after the Excorcist, the Omen and Children of the Corn, it takes a lot to scare me.

The scene that scarred me for life is when Linda Blair crawls up the stairs backwards.

I agree, seems the older movies were better.

Most of the good horror is from France, Japan, or Korea these days.

Martyrs, Inside, and Seitan are all good, bent French horror films. I used the English title translations to facilitate the search.

Audition is a damn good Japanese film. There are many others. Hollywood has been ripping off Asian horror for years.

Old Boy and other films by the Korean director Park, while not strictly horror, are generally quite excellent.

These have little in common with Vincent Price however. I think that ship has sailed.

Thanks for the movie tips. It seems that todays horror movies are about some college students in a drunken orgy trip that goes bad. Gone are the days of actors who were known for their craft. Sad :(

Another vote for Old Boy....shocking and cool.

The scariest film I've seen was probably The Shining, without being too bloody.

The last film that scared me was 28 Days Later.

Old Boy, Tale of Two Sisters, Suicide Club, V/H/S, Martyrs, Frontier(s), Anti-Christ (not completely horror but very thrilling and deep), Let the Right One In, The Awakening, Mum and Dad, and many more.. These I all listed I have on DVD right now that's why I mentioned them

I am a big horror movie buff! I think the best and most powerful horrors are coming out of foreign counties, not the USA..

• Like 1

Nice thread, my wife and I LOVE Horror films but I must agree, there are far to few good ones, although in saying this, I believe even some of the classics were never 'A-Grade" to begin with.

A couple good ones come to mind and I only just recently watched:

MAMA:

MV5BMTM5MjIwNDAwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQyOTY0OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Also, this borders Horror and Thriller but highly recommend it.

I Saw The Devil:

http://youtu.be/KzsiUBbTr-M

Old Boy, Tale of Two Sisters, Suicide Club, V/H/S, Martyrs, Frontier(s), Anti-Christ (not completely horror but very thrilling and deep), Let the Right One In, The Awakening, Mum and Dad, and many more.. These I all listed I have on DVD right now that's why I mentioned them

I am a big horror movie buff! I think the best and most powerful horrors are coming out of foreign counties, not the USA..

I agree about more powerful movies coming out of foreign countries. Imo "Let The Right One In" from Sweden was awesome. Very dark, the imagery was fantastic.

My wife and I love horror movies. Sinister was great as was Cabin In the Woods. Otherwise if I want to watch a scary movie I watch Halloween over and over and over and over and over......well you get the picture. One of my top movies of all time. The great thing about the older horror movies is that it wasn't blood and gore it was suspense, most of the time the "killer" wasn't revealed until the last half of the movie anyway so it always kept you guessing. Nothing beats the old horror and sometimes even B horror movies. These days it's all special effects, green screen crap and blood and gore and the basis of a good horror movie to me is suspense along with the terror and that "holy crap" moment. Now all the horror movies blow their wad way to early.

Saw a really scary movie the other day. I was so scared I had to turn off the movie after only 10 minutes, then sat huddle in the corner for an hour. I think the movie was called, "Never Say Never"...

Lastly:

30 Days of Night:

The Vampire effects are amazing and the setting is perfect for this movie. wink.png

Awesome stuff. Sam Raimi stuff is always good.

I myself always preferred the slightly cheesy 80's and early-90's horror flicks. Nightmare on Elm Street, various Stephen King movie adaptations, etc.

And "The Evil Dead". The original was wild fun. The new one is crazy slick though, and even better with the original directing/writing/production team helming it, to give it a new twist.

Nice thread, my wife and I LOVE Horror films but I must agree, there are far to few good ones, although in saying this, I believe even some of the classics were never 'A-Grade" to begin with.

A couple good ones come to mind and I only just recently watched:

MAMA:

MV5BMTM5MjIwNDAwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzQyOTY0OA@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

Also, this borders Horror and Thriller but highly recommend it.

I Saw The Devil:

http://youtu.be/KzsiUBbTr-M

Just watched Mama, thanks I enjoyed it very much. Definatly gets two thumbs up.