How are your RA Estupendos coming along?

Just wondering, for those who bought a box or more of the Regional Asia Pacifico Ramon Allones Estupendos, how are your cigars developing? Have you been smoking regularly? Just want to see if mine are par for the course.

Wilkey

Wilkey, an '06 box showed flashes, but also had construction issues and never really came around. This past November I smoked one from an '07 box. It was as the others I've smoked from this box so far - not bad, but I find myself waiting for something more, and it hasn't happened.

I have a few '07 boxes. They are inconsistent, but when they're good, they're often wonderful-- that delicious sweet/sour RA flavor. That being said, I agree that too many are too tight or just plain plugged, so they can be an expensive gamble if purchased untouched.

Yep. It certainly seems like mine are par for the course. Nearly every stick has been unpleasantly tight with a few essentially plugged. This from across three cabs. Flavor has been...wanting. The majority have been strong, raw, and dense. But not in a hopeful way as with young RyJ Cazadores. A few have just been so nasty to have been pitchable. And as you say, Neuralpath, rarely, when you get a good one, it shows you what you should be getting but are not. At least not at the hit rate that makes these worthwhile.

Thanks for the comments, gents. I suppose there's really nothing to do but let them sleep.

Oh, dry boxing works reasonably well in opening these things up. Have not tried the freezer trick.

Wilkey

• 1 year later...

Have to agree with the consensus. Got lucky on a really good '07 today but half the cab is tight and most I've smoked had little to no depth of flavor.

I would have to agree with everyone here after smoking a few. Expensive and I've had probably one good one so far. Funny thing is that I've had the same problem with the JL No. 4 Asian RE as well. Not a plug issue with them but crappy construction and flavorless.

For those who tried them in the early days, were the flavours more pronounced?

I have had some gems. Construction seems to be a common problem.

The Punch Super Robusto (same period PCC release) is running rings around the Estupendos currently in terms of development/flavour.

Seems I have had better luck than most with mine. Havent tried one in quite a while but the ones I have were very good. I also have both '06 & '07. Have not smoked a lot of them but if memory doesnt fail have only had one that was slightly tight.

Might be time to revisit.

Not having had one in some time I can not answer your question. I'll try to dig one out soon.

Tried another one of these a few days ago in the hope that my luck may have changed... wishful thinking as this one was almost unsmokable. Harsh and a tight draw. Tossed it after 15 minutes.

What a coincidence. Tried another this weekend. Still tight even though at 60-62%. Some flavors but rather muddled and uninteresting. I'd say overall a disappointment. They sure haven't gained anything in all this time and I'm feeling like they've lost some of that initial magic.

In contrast, I cracked a 2011 RyJ Cazadores and what a fine cigar. Strong, rich, lively. A satisfying cigar indeed.

Wilkey

Have had no luck with the 07's I have smoked. Not much taste and construction seems to be an issue. They are still around so that tells you something. The 06's however I have had some very tasty ones, yes a few plugs but overall they have been good. Just picked up another 06 box at auction and will try it this weekend and see how it turns out.

The few I've smoked from my 07 box have been smokable, despite some slight constructions issues. In the flavor department, they are fairly flat and leave me wanting more. I couldn't agree more with Rob's comments about the Punch Super Robustos; they are really good cigars and will only get better.

Upon release and a couple of years ago I remember people praising them for reasons I never understood, considering that from the 10 samples I bought, 8 were plugged and unsmokable and 2 were very tight that I couldn't finish the cigar.

On the other hand, the Punch Super Robustos that were released in the same year were great until last year when I smoked the last one I had.

Dug out an '06. Have maybe half left. Paired it up with a tot of rum.

Cut it and took a pre-light draw. Ummm, seemed pretty tight. tantrum.gif Pretty well packed.A

Fired it up! Draws fine. A little tight to my liking but nothing bad. Oh my, I don't find this has backed off much if at all. Some tingling on the lips.

Bit spi-say! Great companion to a good rum after a hard day pretending to work. innocent.gif

As it warms up the tightness disappears. Very earthy cigar.

Smooths out after first inch or so.

I am sorry to hear what sounds like most folks are not having a good experience with these. drool.gif I also hope mine continues as is. . . wub.png

Dug out an '06. Have maybe half left. Paired it up with a tot of rum.

Cut it and took a pre-light draw. Ummm, seemed pretty tight. tantrum.gif Pretty well packed.A

Fired it up! Draws fine. A little tight to my liking but nothing bad. Oh my, I don't find this has backed off much if at all. Some tingling on the lips.

Bit spi-say! Great companion to a good rum after a hard day pretending to work. innocent.gif

As it warms up the tightness disappears. Very earthy cigar.

Smooths out after first inch or so.

I am sorry to hear what sounds like most folks are not having a good experience with these. drool.gif I also hope mine continues as is. . . wub.png

Seems the trend is still trending. Over the years I've heard from many and experienced that the '06 is a better example than the '07

Shame my cab's the latter.....

Give one a shot and let us know what you think!