177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello dudes and dudesses...

I'm organising my travel humidor for my trip to Portugal and getting a few singles in...

I've only ever had the esplendido so I'm leaning towards the lancero but was just interested in your folks thoughts...

Got some gems lined up, I will post a pic of my haul.

I'm going over for my sisters wedding and some of the boys have asked me to bring over some 'quality' Cubans lol, these guys have never smoked a cigar in their lives...

RyJ no.2 tubos all round then!!! Lol

I will keep the good stuff for myself!

Thanks for your input folks.

Stevie

• Like 1

Based on Rob's June 2013 Wrap Up it would appear neither of these are at the 'top of their game' at the moment. From current stock, it would seem the odds are against getting a great Esplendido or Lancero.

For for guys at the wedding, it would be a damn shame if their first experience with Cuban cigars was a dissapointing one. May be better to choose something more consistent that is 'on' at the moment. Perhaps Cohiba Piramide Extra?

Cheers, Mark

Don't waste your good cigars on them as they will probably put them out in a coke can after a few puffs.

Lanceros and esplendidos are two entirely different animals and if you've smoked one I would highly recommend the other as you cannot go wrong. They both do take quite a bit to age but if you find a good example of 2012s then they may be enjoyable fresh.

Don't waste your good cigars on them as they will probably put them out in a coke can after a few puffs.

I have to agree with this. If they've never smoked cigars or not often, then those RyJ Tubos or some Quinteros Panatellas will do.

Broke out two lanceros just this past weekend.

I had never had one. They are from a 5 pack from 00. Both were plugged so bad they had to be cut a third down.

While I did finally get to taste some of the legendary flavor, I am now jaundiced towards this size.

Put the other three in the fridge, for a day. Will try one again this weekend.

My 06 Esplindidos on the other hand are great.

All that being said, for newbies or I'd go with some Monty #4's.

I went for Esplendidos too!

As for ya mates...if they're good mates, take petit robustos or half coronas, and something semi-special.

The short format is especially suited to weddings, otherwise you are away from the party for too long.

I believe you are never going to convert anyone to the darkside unless you make it enjoyable from the get-go.

Thanks for the input guys.

I think the way ive worded my original post may have condused things a bit...

The esplendido or the lancero will be for myself only. I wasnt joking when i said im bringing RyJ no.2 tubos over for the the other guys lol. Theres no way i would waste good smokes on people that might stubb them half way through.

On another note has anybody else experienced draw issues like that of poorman's?

Thanks again guys.

Hello dudes and dudesses...

I'm organising my travel humidor for my trip to Portugal and getting a few singles in...

I've only ever had the esplendido so I'm leaning towards the lancero but was just interested in your folks thoughts...

Got some gems lined up, I will post a pic of my haul.

I'm going over for my sisters wedding and some of the boys have asked me to bring over some 'quality' Cubans lol, these guys have never smoked a cigar in their lives...

RyJ no.2 tubos all round then!!! Lol

I will keep the good stuff for myself!

Thanks for your input folks.

Stevie

The real issue here:

Ummmmm, I'm pretty sure the word is "dudettes" - c'mon man take it serious or don't be here at all! Have some class. Busch League!

• Like 2

Get them the Cohibas. No question.

If they are guys who have never had a cigar, then accept the fact they won't truly appreciate them. It will be more about their perception of the cigar than how it actually smokes.

They will almost certainly know the name "Cohiba" and perceive them to be the best cigars in the world. No one will have ever heard of Trinidad. Years down the road, they will remember that you got them the best that Cuba has to offer (at least in their superficial perception). And it's actually arguably true.

For you lanceros all the way....I haven't smoked many esplendidos but I can say the lanceros rock and I prefer the format over a Churchill. For the wedding party...I'd honestly go with some upmann coronas majors. Or upmann/boli PCs. Something good but decent in case some of them fall down the slope. Hey we all started somewhere. Hell you could even go with a Rascc or hu half corona. All are great sticks at a price that won't break the bank...and if they don't smoke em oh well. If they go "wow, what is this" then you know you did a good thing!

Get them the Cohibas. No question.

If they are guys who have never had a cigar, then accept the fact they won't truly appreciate them. It will be more about their perception of the cigar than how it actually smokes.

They will almost certainly know the name "Cohiba" and perceive them to be the best cigars in the world. No one will have ever heard of Trinidad. Years down the road, they will remember that you got them the best that Cuba has to offer (at least in their superficial perception). And it's actually arguably true.

I gave my friend a Sig II for his engagement and he really enjoyed it even though he's not a cigar guy. I definitely think having the Cohiba on the band made it extra special for him, which is the reason why I chose that cigar over say, a Rafael Gonzalez PC.

I think RyJ tubos are a good idea though for 2 reasons. Newbies love tubos for some reason, and I believe RyJ is also well known even to non cigar smokers, along with Cohiba and Montecristo.

As for you, really can't go wrong with either lancero or espy, but personally I'd rather celebrate with a bigger RG cigar so I'd go with the espy.

I reckon you are spot on with the RyJ Tubos, CohibaStevie. For all the reasons you state, and they aren't terrible.

Don't forget the cutters and lighters, though I'd suggest a punch for neubs at a wedding.

Unless you need tubos for the others to carry etc. I'd get a box of Rafael Gonzales Perlas for the never-before smokers. Very good little cigars and will still seem big to non-cigar smokers.

The thing about tubos is, people will take them, put them in their pocket with the intention of smoking them later and then forget about them until the next time they put on that jacket. It's a shame, less likely to happen with non-tubed cigars.

Plus, the Rafael Gonzales box looks quite "wedding-y".

Recent lanceros and esplendidos have both been good.

Thanks for all the comments guys. Its much appreciated...

Ive decided to go with the lanceros, again they will be for myself only and the rest of the guys will get the no.2 tubos.

Thanks again.

Unless you need tubos for the others to carry etc. I'd get a box of Rafael Gonzales Perlas for the never-before smokers. Very good little cigars and will still seem big to non-cigar smokers.

The thing about tubos is, people will take them, put them in their pocket with the intention of smoking them later and then forget about them until the next time they put on that jacket. It's a shame, less likely to happen with non-tubed cigars.

Plus, the Rafael Gonzales box looks quite "wedding-y".

Recent lanceros and esplendidos have both been good.

I don't think this would go over too well because:

-no tubo which we know people are impressed by

-too small, non smokers won't feel like a boss with them in their hand and are likely to mock

-the name is too generic and cheap sounding to non-smokers so they will scoff and predispose them to disliking the cigar

Stevie your idea of ryj tubos is perfect.

Espies are too inconsistent. And avoid 99-01 Lanceros. 08 Cohiba Corona Especiales are the best Cohibas I've had in recent years. Basically a shorter Lancero.

• 3 weeks later...

While I love the long and skinny lanceros...I have to say that in my experience the Esplendido is the better Cohiba cigar. IMHO, it's actually the best regular production Cohiba.