Lanejsl

Greetings Members,

I have a question about heat. I keep my cigars in my office and the temperature maintains in the low to mid 70's. However, on the weekend the building turns the air off and the temperature gets up to the high 70's and may even get as high as 80. Humidiity stays about 67.

Am I ruining my cigars?

You're help is greatly appreciated!

I'm gonna say that sounds fine to me.

Last summer in Melbourne Australia my humidor was getting up to 35c/95f

It was a concern and extremely hard to get the temp down cause there really is nothing I can do with my simple humidor setup but I survived

Thanks gents. Seems that I need to figure out something different here. I'm not new to smoking cigars but I am new to collecting them and I've developed quite a stash worth protecting from the elements. Thanks!

If you dont want a wine fridge and only have a small humidor, buy a large esky, 100-150 L and put the whole humidor in the esky. The esky/cooler acts as insulation and will help you with little to no temp fluctuations. Then when you grow out of your humidor you already have a coolidor to store boxes in. Even in summer in NQ my coolidor sits at 69-70% but it is sitting on concrete in a dark room. This morning its bloody cold and still sitting at 70%.

I did a lot of research regarding heat and as long as you freeze cigars in an effort to kill beetle eggs, temps around 75 are not the end of the world. Large fluctuations probably will damage your cigars so get some way of insulating your humidor.

Perlas, thanks for the advice. Much appreciated. Question, will the inside of the cooler really maintain consistent temperature when the outside ambient temperature is higher without a cooling device?

It won't maintain perfect temps but it vastly reduces the fluctuation and how quickly the temperatures change, outside on any given day it might range from 12-28 celcius at the moment but my cooler might only move 1-2 degrees. I have mine sitting in a dark room on concrete so your experiences may vary but I think its great and cannot see any reason to go to a wineador. Just freeze your sticks when you get them and enjoy the ride. Some people tend to overthink the whole temp issue IMO. Then again I have never had problems with beetles, touch wood.

Ok, thanks Perlas. Much appreciated. I just went out and bought a small wine cooler for 100.00. I'm sure I'll outgrow it soon but it might get me through the summer.

Cheers.

I purchased a small wine cooler. Can I just put my diamond crowne humidors full of cigars and humidification device in the wine cooler and set the temp? I see a lot of folks with cedar lined shelves and beads but I'm wondering if that's even necessary for the 100 cigars I have?

• 5 weeks later...

I'm going to say you're fine. I'd love to keep mine at 63/63 24/7 if I can, but I don't have that option. Temperature isn't a big issue if you freeze your cigars to prevent beetle breakouts. People are too worried about temperatures for beetle outbreaks, but I think it's blown out of proportion especially nowadays when they are all frozen before export. Plus, beetles CAN break out in 60's too, so everyone with their fancy wineadors aren't completely protected.