1943 Clear Havana - WM Penn Panatella

I smoked this beauty a few nights ago. smile.png It's been a long time since I've done a review. And for those of you that have never read one of mine, I tend to "dump" out what I'm tasting and any other thoughts in my mind as I'm smoking. tongue.png This review is not as lengthy as my past efforts. I hope you enjoy it.

Now, on to the review!

Name: WM Penn Panatella

Circa: 1943

post-6763-0-53384700-1372086385_thumb.jp

Observations:

Nice box press on the panatella, the tobacco passes the pinch test easily. This is not some dried out relic. The cigar is very much alive.

Aroma at cold is floral with a hint of baking spice. That is promising. The cold draw is easy. A good sign for a cigar with such a small ring gauge.

The pointed head clips off easily, no tearing or mangling of the cigar occurs. With aged cigars you always have to treat them with kid gloves as they can be fragile. This sample however, is solid.

Review:

First Third.

Very easy draw. clean tobacco taste. Mint with some tangy notes . Very fresh flavors. Hints of nutmeg. Very good burn. Very floral in profile. Dry finish on each draw. Lemon zest sticks to the tongue. Very interesting start. Clove notes. More lemon. Very mild but flavourful smoke. Some slight acetic notes here and then. Must belong to the lemon taste I'm getting.

Some more nutmeg and baking spice. Almost a candy like experience. Sweet notes coming through. Clean Tobacco. Very little smoke. Smooth. Still dry on the palate. Very refined. More lemon zest. In terms of citrus flavours in a cigar, I've had orange peel before, especially in Bolivar. Lemon zest, is a new one on me. I like it! ok.gif

Second Third:

More smoke billows in the second third with each draw. Very clean tobacco flavour. Mint finish comes back. The sweetness ensures. This is a great aged cigar. Floral notes present as well. Tobacco flavour increases a bit. Some marshmallow flavours jump out. Awesome. clap.gif That’s what was sweet all this time perhaps? Dry tannic notes on the tongue. I get hit with a bit of an unpleasant taste. Sour and mildewy in one brief, nasty moment. Thankfully, it only lasted one draw.

Final Third:

More clean tobacco taste. Nutmeg still present. Dry notes persist. Clove. Very flavourful, but dry. Slight metallic finish on a few draws. Clean tobacco taste returns. The draw is smooth. Smoke levels have picked up again. Some more sweet notes.

The flavour range is mild but interesting. Not the most complex cigar in terms of body, but a worthy aged smoked. It must have been medium/mild smoke in it's day. Even with about 70 years of age this cigar impresses me. The WM Panatella finishes with a bit of spice hit towards the end. I've nubbed this cigar down to 3/4 inches.

Total smoking time:35 minutes;

Score: 92

Final Thoughts:

When buying aged/vintage cigars whether they be Clear Havana's or Pre-embargo, I'm always concerned that I'll end up smoking a "dead" cigar. So far my luck has been good. And this little cigar was a very pleasant smoking experience. Probably the smoothest cigar I've tasted that held my interest from foot to head. ok.gif

Great review! Thanks for sharing. The few of these I have sampled were very decent, consistent vintage cigars- I liked em'. Never got any marshmallow though :P

Nice review. I've had quite a few different clear Havanas by now and had mostly good experiences with them. The source is definitely important :)

Great review! I like the writing style of write it as you taste it.

I have very little vintage experience, and no pre-embargo/clear Havana experience, but these reviews really help ones imagination!

Thanks!

Great review thanks for sharing.

It's not every day you get to hear a review of a70 year old cigar.

Interesting that it had a lemon zest to it.