Minis (Partagas, Monte, Cohiba, RyJ)

I am fairly new to cigars and have been trying out different brands and sizes. I bought a few packs of machine made cigarillos recently to see how these compare to hand rolled cigars. Following is my review of minis.

Cuba produces three sizes of cigarillos (small cigars defined by weighing less than three grams): minis, clubs and puritos. Mini being the smallest of the three and the smallest sized cigar Cuba makes is quoted as 20 ring size (7,8 mm diameter) with 82 mm in length. All minis are machine made and short filler (as are all Cuban cigarillos). These are produced in ICT factory in Cuba and come pre cut and with no bands. Most common packaging is a pack of 10 cigarillos (P10), packs should come cellophane wrapped however the ones I bought from the local La Casa del Habano were not. The pack of 10 minis is going for about 10 euro making the price of one cigarillo about 1 euro.

photo-52.jpg?w=300&h=300

Romeo y Julieta Mini – size comparable to a cigarette, wrapper rough and veiny, not much flavor (or about as much as an average cigarette), some bitterness in the second half, about a five minute smoke, not enjoying it too much (might as well have a Marlboro Lights).

Cohiba Mini – there is no real difference with the Romeo y Julieta, everything above can be said about the Cohibas as well, there is a very light milk chocolate note (noticeable at the start of the draw) in the first half which is replaced with bitterness in second, other than that the same as the above.

Montecristo Mini – a copy of Cohiba, there is the same milk chocolate note in the first half mixed with something fruity which disappears in about one second, other than that again everything above can be said about the Montes as well.

Partagas Mini – everything above can be said about the Partagas as well, it seems slightly stronger than the others and the chocolate note is little more apparent in the first half, the increased strength brings increased bitterness in the second half, packaging is different from the rest as it is packed into aluminium (which is better for travelling).

photo-53.jpg?w=300&h=300

I am not sure if there is any difference in tobacco used to produce minis for different brands – I would think that there probably isn’t (at least not a considerable one). There are very minor taste differences but this could be accounted to batch variation. If I had to pick one over the others I would pick the Partagas by the smallest of margin because of it’s strength however I doubt I would be able to recognize the four brands consistently in blind tasting. The construction of a mini can be seen on an image below – it has a small piece of wrapper, a proper binder and pressed chopped tobacco as a filler.

photo-54.jpg?w=300&h=300

There are few others brands of minis being made in Cuba in addition to the four above such as Quintero and Jose L. Piedra however if the minis of Cuban premium brands were as nondescript as I have described I am not exactly looking forward to trying these. I was hoping to have minis as an alternative to a cigar on occasions when time was limited however in my opinion these are about as far from the actual cigars as are cigarettes. I was not getting any sort of sensory experience while smoking these. For three euros there is a Quintero panetela and while not exactly the choice of the connoisseurs for me it’s miles ahead of minis in it’s value.

I don't normally like or smoke Mnini's, but I must say that they are all diferent from a normal cigar, but I don't like them thank you for

giveing all the good info & making me right about them

Guy

Nice summary. I sometimes get these as freebees with my orders. At the last Hunters & Frankau party a georgeous 50s-style cigarette girl was handing out Cohiba Minis.

I don't really care for them. They are small and loose, and so burn quite hot.

I was surprised at the price you mentioned. That's quite a lot. I seem to recall getting a bundle of Jose L Piedra Cremas for a Euro each, but that was at a duty-free.

I generally stock an assortment of "Clubs", the bigger (IIRC) of these different Cuban cigarillos. They're quite nice to have on hand for the occasional quick puff, or for a visiting friend that may want a Cuban tobacco taste, but doesn't want to saddle in for a full cigar. The Clubs I find not too bad for what they are, but I've always got a sour experience from the Minis (perhaps due to being so small and burning so hot).

It's tough for proper cigar smokers who want something quick. I reckon the tiny cigarillos need an experienced cigar smoker to get the best out of them taste-wise. I know a few people who smoke them like cigarettes, inhaling them. Bleurg....

A Partagas Short or a Ramon Allones Small Club Corona are about as small as I can go and still get a cigar experience. The Punch Margueritas are pretty good, but discontinued.

A pipe, perhaps?

I also enjoy the Davidoff ones quite a bit, but would prefer a small cigar such as a ERdM DT, thanks for all the info..

I am planning to try few clubs next and see if I like these better..

Please do! Thnk you for reviewing these as I have been wondering about them for a while now. I look forward to your opinion of the clubs.

I've had the Party, Cohiba, and Monte minis. I think they taste like their respective marqas. They are pretty tasty but burn very hot. Preferred the Party out of the bunch.

I agree from my similar experiences. But they can get bitter and hot. Try matching with a sweeter drink perhaps.

But I would go to Partagas Chicos as a small format cigar, even if you have to toss it half way through due to time restrictions.