Dove shoot, Darlington SC

Tel RNB

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I will be missing the opening weekend this year. It like a national holiday for us in AZ.

But in its place that weekend I will be casting chartreuse and white clousers at reds and specks in South Padre with my Grandfather, Father and Godfather. Should make up for it.

September 1st in these parts!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice! ok.gif

My boys and I were just discussing the coming season next month. I hope I have enough steel shot for all of us, because the best spot for us to hunt doves is on conservation land and the shelves have been bare of everything lately.

• 3 weeks later...

Dove opener is 1 September here, too. Remy (my year old Weimaraner) and I will be going after doves for a couple of weeks and then the grouse and partridge season opens up 14 September. Then pheasant opens 12 October. All of these birds on one family's farm. A coworker asked her dad if it would be okay for me to hunt out there this season. Absolutely! They're deer hunters anyhow, so I was welcomed to come out there any time I wanted to go after those birds. The payment? He just wants a couple of roosters. Deal! smile.png It will be my first-ever hunting season, so I'm looking forward to it. September can't get here soon enough.

Cheers,

~ Greg ~

Breast. Lots of tiny breasts. Limit here is 15 per day. Season lasts til January, I believe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4

Let me know if you need help G. I got 2 dogs that hunt. They love pheasant.

This will be Remy's first season and he's still working on pointing. I won't shoot anything unless he points (to help him learn the routine), so we'll be going solo until he gets it. He may turn into a natural pointer as soon as he gets on wild birds; three other Weims from the same breeder went to the same trainer and, just like Remy, none pointed during training. But the moment they got on the wild birds they started pointing like it was old hat. So, if he does that and the birds are awesome like my friend's dad was saying, I'll see if we can get you and your dawgs out there, too. :)

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

forgive what might sound like a silly question but what do you do with them once they have been slaughtered?

are they pests or used for food?

DELICIOUS EATING!!!!! and can be prepared in many wonderful ways. It's a staple on a lot of tables during the Fall around these parts. My Grandpa would eat dove every night for supper from Sept 1 - the end of the year, every year. It is also a staple on the table for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's not the white symbol of peace and released at weddings dove, it's the Mourning Dove and White Winged, and a few other rare varieties. And YES they are pests too,and can ruin sunflower crops and ruin other crops by eating sunflowers and crapping on other crops, and then sunflowers will grow where farmers don't want them to. But they are absolutely delicious. Opening Dove Day down here is pretty much a national holiday. People take off work and and it's not just one day . People down here go hunt EVERY single day of the season and bag their limit. There are more people that hunt dove down here than any other form of hunting. I've got a 100 or so in the freezer if you want some Kenny G!!!! This will be my 22nd consecutive season for Dove hunting. From now until probably Thanksgiving, I'll eat it a couple of times a week.

Skin it, stuff the breast cavity with jalapeno and onion, soak in italian dressing, wrap the chest cavity with both breasts intact with bacon and grill!

Or breast out the meat,soak in buttermilk, sautee in a pan with butter, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, onions, and a little white wine, Make a pan gravy with the drippings, a little roux, some milk, thicken it, serve over wild grain rice.

This will be Remy's first season and he's still working on pointing. I won't shoot anything unless he points (to help him learn the routine), so we'll be going solo until he gets it. He may turn into a natural pointer as soon as he gets on wild birds; three other Weims from the same breeder went to the same trainer and, just like Remy, none pointed during training. But the moment they got on the wild birds they started pointing like it was old hat. So, if he does that and the birds are awesome like my friend's dad was saying, I'll see if we can get you and your dawgs out there, too. smile.png

Greg

If you are ever hunting down here, over the past several years we have been getting a lot of Inca Doves migrating this far north.

If you are ever hunting down here, over the past several years we have been getting a lot of Inca Doves migrating this far north.

Baby steps, brother! We'll see how we do this first season before making any trips to Texas. But that would be cool. How much different are the Incas? A little spicier? :)

Greg

forgive what might sound like a silly question but what do you do with them once they have been slaughtered?

are they pests or used for food?

Ken, they are very good to eat. I breast them and wrap that with a slice of bacon and grill them. Pan fried is good too.

DELICIOUS EATING!!!!! and can be prepared in many wonderful ways. It's a staple on a lot of tables during the Fall around these parts. My Grandpa would eat dove every night for supper from Sept 1 - the end of the year, every year. It is also a staple on the table for Thanksgiving and Christmas. It's not the white symbol of peace and released at weddings dove, it's the Mourning Dove and White Winged, and a few other rare varieties. And YES they are pests too,and can ruin sunflower crops and ruin other crops by eating sunflowers and crapping on other crops, and then sunflowers will grow where farmers don't want them to. But they are absolutely delicious. Opening Dove Day down here is pretty much a national holiday. People take off work and and it's not just one day . People down here go hunt EVERY single day of the season and bag their limit. There are more people that hunt dove down here than any other form of hunting. I've got a 100 or so in the freezer if you want some Kenny G!!!! This will be my 22nd consecutive season for Dove hunting. From now until probably Thanksgiving, I'll eat it a couple of times a week.

Skin it, stuff the breast cavity with jalapeno and onion, soak in italian dressing, wrap the chest cavity with both breasts intact with bacon and grill!

Or breast out the meat,soak in buttermilk, sautee in a pan with butter, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, onions, and a little white wine, Make a pan gravy with the drippings, a little roux, some milk, thicken it, serve over wild grain rice.

Nice! peace.gif

I know you have all heard this one, place the breast of a dove inside a quail, then inside a duck and then inside a turkey, and place that on the smoker.................