July 4 - Canadian Style

Except we celebrated an "independance" from a rainy and overcast morning. smile.png The skies cleared by mid afternoon and come quitting time. It was all sunshine, drinks, cigars and good friends. ok.gif:

post-6763-0-46316400-1373031024_thumb.jp

From left to right: Hans (das boot), Tom, Lloyd, Frank, Mark, Joe. Not pictured: Art (he was off schmoozing with some friends that came in) rolleyes.gif

I'm surprised to see a public place in Canada where you can smoke cigars. Where is this? Looks like a fun day.

I'm surprised to see a public place in Canada where you can smoke cigars. Where is this? Looks like a fun day.

Toronto. A bar called Remy's. Their rooftop patio is massive. There are still a few handfuls of decent patios where cigar smokers aren't shunned.

Very nice. Remy's is unfortunately one of the few places left to have a cigar in toronto without fear of complaints. Casa del habano is literally just a few steps away and they serve great coffee and have a decent sized space with tables/chairs. Looks like you guys had a great time!

Yes it was a good time and I certainly enjoyed den Stiefel(the Boot)which is actually an old German Tradition when a bunch of guys are together for a fun time.Thanks for "Das Boot".BTW Frank in the picture you can see Art in the background,Can't miss that green t-shirt.

Toronto. A bar called Remy's. Their rooftop patio is massive. There are still a few handfuls of decent patios where cigar smokers aren't shunned.

Sadly not in my nick of the woods ..... ohhh Canada :( At least there's still Quebecxico....

Can you get German Bavarian dark beer in these places, or do they force you to drink Canadian cerveza? Hans, since you are from Germany, what is your favorite brew?

Can you get German Bavarian dark beer in these places, or do they force you to drink Canadian cerveza? Hans, since you are from Germany, what is your favorite brew?

I don't know if that place has Dark Beer on tap or not but the one I drank from that boot was German Beer,which one I have no idea as they have several on tap.

As for my favorite brew,I realy don't have any.There're so many good beers and also not so good beers.The best one I can remember was from Kloster(Monestary)Weltenburg right on the banks of the Danube River near Passau in Lower Bavaria.Those Monks sure know how to live well.

Coming back to the dark beerI can buy it here in Ontario in the Liquorstores and I also have seen it in the USA(Buffalo and Cincinnati).You have to look for the name"Schwarzbier".I've seen it in bottles and in 5 liter cans.From big breweries I shy away,I rather pay a little more and enjoy a much better tasting beer.

Cheers,

I would have gladly traded places with you fellows. It was 110 degrees here in Northern California.

A great Bavarian Schwarbier that is one of my favorites is Kostritzer. Was one of the originals and has been around since 1543. Give it a try...

http://beeradvocate....rofile/648/1774

I have had both Kostritzer and Kulmbacher Monschof schwarzbiers with the latter being my favorite beer of all time and has been since my high school years. I started drinking the good stuff young!

A great Bavarian Schwarbier that is one of my favorites is Kostritzer. Was one of the originals and has been around since 1543. Give it a try...

http://beeradvocate....rofile/648/1774

Sorry to turn on the teacher blabla modus, but Köstritzer beer is from Thuringia. Okay its close to Bavaria but not Bavaria.

East part of Germany is well known for its Dark beer. I do not drink much beer - the Köstritzer is one of my fav.

Sorry to turn on the teacher blabla modus, but Köstritzer beer is from Thuringia. Okay its close to Bavaria but not Bavaria.

East part of Germany is well known for its Dark beer. I do not drink much beer - the Köstritzer is one of my fav.

Thank you I stand corrected! Kostritzer is a delicious dark beer for sure.