Time for some short ribs!

ptrthgr8

On the menu tonight: a mess of fresh short ribs!

post-9836-13731466590367.jpg

Ribs were finished with kosher salt, a blend of spices (black and white pepper and some other things) picked up from our local butcher, and some applewood mesquite rub.

Used the propane side of the grill on high to sear each short rib for a minute or so on each side and them moved them over to the charcoal side where I've set up the side fire box.

post-9836-13731468864733.jpg

post-9836-13731469454624.jpg

I used charcoal to get fire started and then tossed in some hickory and mesquite chunks for the actual cooking.

A shot of the side fire box setup. And one of our Beagles (her name is Daisy) jumped into the pic. :)

post-9836-13731470818686.jpg

So, now I have a few hours to kill while I sit on the patio and keep the fire going. While waiting for the beef and smoky goodness to do their thing I decided to light up a nice Upmann #2 and enjoy an ice cold Sam Adams Boston Ale.

post-9836-13731474249253.jpg

I can definitely think of worse ways to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Will post another pic in a few hours when they're done. :)

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

They smell awesome. That's the hardest thing about slow cooking... you want to tear into them right away! :) Patience is a virtue, I suppose.

Cheers,

Greg

The finished product:

post-9836-13731611439351.jpg

They were delicious. Some were nice and crispy on the outside, but all were moist and tender on the inside. Full of smoke flavor. Didn't need any sauce at all. I will need to do these again soon!

Cheers,

Greg

And the beverages for the evening. Beers were consumed while cooking, the rum came out for dinner, and the scotch is for the after dinner cigar goodness. Not a bad Saturday night at all. :)

post-9836-13731618719337.jpg

Cheers,

Greg