On first day of a 5 day juice fast/detox

So, in the middle of my first day of a 5 day juice fast / detox / cleanse that my wife and I are doing. Doing it mostly to detox, a little bit to get a jump start on some needed weight loss.

I apologized to everyone at work beforehand as I knew I was going to be one grumpy SOB.

Boy did I hit that nail on the head. First half of the day the juices went down well, didnt feel hungry.

Now I am hungry and have a headache.

Am I allowed to smoke a cigar during this? WTF, couldnt hurt!

Any other BOTL/SOTL gone through these? Any words of wisdom?

This is probably going to be a rather contentious topic but my two cents...

If you take a long term approach to what is essentially healthy eating (call it detox/cleansing etc) in terms of eating a balanced diet, fresh fruit and veg etc, sensible portion sizes, moderate processed/fast foods then that is likely to be beneficial.

I don't think there's sufficient evidence that the body benefits from short term fasting/detox/juice diets etc, the body/organs/immune system are by their nature designed to remove toxins/impurities.

You'll undoubtedly lose weight on a juice diet/fast but the chances are you'll put that weight back on again within a few weeks/months if you return to your previous diet.

So have a cigar!! cigar.gif

Yes,

Got the bright idea to try the Ritual Cleanse. Spent about $300 on 6 juices per day for 3 days. First 3 of the day were dark green and leafy nastiness. 4th was a lemonade type and was actually good. 5th was back to the leafy and the 6th was some sort of almond milk. At the end of evening one I was pissed and in a terrible mood.

Next morning I went and got a huge breakfast burrito! HAHAHAHAHAH

What a waste of money.

If you take a long term approach to what is essentially healthy eating (call it detox/cleansing etc) in terms of eating a balanced diet, fresh fruit and veg etc, sensible portion sizes, moderate processed/fast foods then that is likely to be beneficial.

I don't think there's sufficient evidence that the body benefits from short term fasting/detox/juice diets etc, the body/organs/immune system are by their nature designed to remove toxins/impurities.

You'll undoubtedly lose weight on a juice diet/fast but the chances are you'll put that weight back on again within a few weeks/months if you return to your previous diet.

I'll agree with this! Balanced diet and even moderate exercise will go a long way towards controlling your weight and allowing your body to function properly and detox itself over time.

Last year, after a particularly grueling period of over work, crap diet and NO exercise, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I refused to take the drugs ( Metformin ), and instead changed my diet to a predominately plant based one and exercised ( walk, hike, bike ) everyday. In a little over three months I lost 40 pounds and my blood glucose levels ( as well as my blood pressure and cholesterol ) were at normal levels! Over a year later, everything is normal.

Best of luck with your weight loss. Take it slow and easy and you'll be fine.

Dont think it needs to be contentious at all.

I have no facts to support this, dont want or need them. I do, however, subscribe to the theory that generally something is better than nothing. If I do nothing, and continue to have an unbalanced diet, i gain weight, remain unhealthy.

The reason for the juice fast is not to lose weight - while that might happen and might jump start me, I know I have 45 years of shitty eating behind me and the idea of a juice fast sounds like it might have a cleansing effect.

Worst case, biggest serving of veggies Ive ever had!

Yes,

Got the bright idea to try the Ritual Cleanse. Spent about $300 on 6 juices per day for 3 days. First 3 of the day were dark green and leafy nastiness. 4th was a lemonade type and was actually good. 5th was back to the leafy and the 6th was some sort of almond milk. At the end of evening one I was pissed and in a terrible mood.

Next morning I went and got a huge breakfast burrito! HAHAHAHAHAH

What a waste of money.

This has a large component of leafy green nastiness, but it doesnt taste bad, as it has apples and ginger as well.

I am meek when it comes to nastiness, perceived or real, and today hasnt been bad from that standpoint

I'll agree with this! Balanced diet and even moderate exercise will go a long way towards controlling your weight and allowing your body to function properly and detox itself over time.

Last year, after a particularly grueling period of over work, crap diet and NO exercise, I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I refused to take the drugs ( Metformin ), and instead changed my diet to a predominately plant based one and exercised ( walk, hike, bike ) everyday. In a little over three months I lost 40 pounds and my blood glucose levels ( as well as my blood pressure and cholesterol ) were at normal levels! Over a year later, everything is normal.

Best of luck with your weight loss. Take it slow and easy and you'll be fine.

Good on ya, mate.

This sounds very close to my recent experience.

Was tipping the scales over 250, while it was pre-diabetes I was diagnosed for I knew something had to change.

Modifying my diet by practically eliminating simple carbs (especially orange juice and bagels) from my diet, better portion control and generally being concious of what and how much I was consuming, along with getting a new dog, I dropped over 30 pounds in six or so months, got my blood glucose levels down, feel much better abd have a whole new (old) wardrobe!

Perhaps a general detox to remove tobacco and alcohol from my system would help further, nah!

Same boat here. 5'10" and hit 229lbs at the beginning of the year. 7 weeks ago I just said enough is enough and changed my lifestyle. I now eat mostly vegetables and lean proteins. Supplement with a protein shake in the afternoon for energy. I still have fun and enjoy my time out with my hot wife and our friends, but I am much more conscious of what I eat AND when. When I drink wine it's 1 glass vs 3 or a 6 ounce pour instead of 10. No more overtly fatty foods and I avoid processed carbs and sugars. I have not begun an exercise routine yet, but will soon. To-date I have gone from 223lbs from day one to 205lbs as of today. I feel much much better than I did when I started and fit into clothes I haven't even looked at in close to 3-4 years.

Bravo Rush for taking a first step towards a healthy lifestyle!

• Like 1

So, in the middle of my first day of a 5 day juice fast / detox / cleanse that my wife and I are doing. Doing it mostly to detox, a little bit to get a jump start on some needed weight loss.

I apologized to everyone at work beforehand as I knew I was going to be one grumpy SOB.

Boy did I hit that nail on the head. First half of the day the juices went down well, didnt feel hungry.

Now I am hungry and have a headache.

Am I allowed to smoke a cigar during this? WTF, couldnt hurt!

Any other BOTL/SOTL gone through these? Any words of wisdom?

If you want to get on the juice. Then juice up. Go for it.idea.gif I am usually on the grape juice most nights.

Excellent post Tino. To add to this portion control is a very important concept and incorporating mixed nuts is essential as well. People think they can join a gym and be healthy but diet is far more instrumental in keeping weight down, 75/25 in terms of diet vs. exercise. Leafy greens are the healthiest things by far a person can eat and cleanse the body. It should be a regular thing not a periodic event. Any kind of diet is passing fad, eating healthy is a lifestyle decision. I was 184 last year, not overweight by any means for my 5'11 frame but stopped running and ate right while working out resulted in 167 ripped right now. Very seldom fried or processed foods and never fast food or soda. Diet drinks/food are the worst.

I can understand the idea behind a liquid diet cleanse but I just can't imagine they work that we'll...although I have no experience with them myself.

I have tried a cleansing system thru www.drnatura.com and it worked for me. I have no connection to them other than being a customer before. Wouldn't post this if it didn't make a difference for me and you started this post...not exactly a topic I enjoy talking about...but I understand why you're soliciting help...sucks getting older.

Personally, I dont beleive in these fad diets...just my opinion. Just adapt your lifestyle, eat right, exercise regularly and thats it. No need to do these detox stuff, diet programs bla bla bla...just balance out your carbs proteins and fats, measure portions to make sure your getting the right macros, and a good exersice program

I feel the same way, but I do recognise one of the key factors you should use to evaluate a diet is adherence. For some (me) having too many grey areas makes it hard to be good, sometimes you have to do something a bit extreme not because you believe the hype, but just having something specific to aim for will give you a bit more of a mental boost to stick to it.

On a side note, anyone here a fan of Intermittent Fasting?

*Edit* And bravo Rushman for taking a positive step mate!

Good luck to you.

I can't say for sure about those detoxes because I don't know anything about them but after my failed attempt in the fat bastard competition I have just started a diet with my housemates which has worked for them in the past but it's a diet so they don't have to exercise which they hate.... but I love, so we'll see how it goes for me....... again.

Detoxes I've never tried and I've been skeptical about them but if this attempt to lose weight fails as they usually do, then I'm not ruling anything out laugh.png

I would not smoke a cigar during a detox juice fast. Try to stick it out. No offense, but 5 days is not that long, but it should allow you to lose 5-8 pounds. After the fast, though, remember to stick to a healthy diet. Eat a lot of protein (chicke and fish) and eat plenty of veg.

Day one is under our belts. Day two has begun. We took a walk on the beach to kill time and spend time together and walked by one of my fave restaurants - that was nice

thanks for the advice and encouraging words gang

Good luck, brother. Here's a tip, if your plan allows gum always helps me get through hunger spells in between meals.

Gum makes me hungry as all heck. That would be the last thing I would chew on a fast. Tho mileage may vary.

Thats kind of funny how it reacts differently. Maybe my suggestion should be handled with care =)

For myself, I think its the chewing and flavor of the gum that curbs the hunger, but it's obviously not that way for everyone.

• 7 years later...

Juice fasting is just nonsense. Understand that you will not lose weight from this, but simply get rid of toxins and there is an easier way for this and it will not be so stressful for your body. Think about it, which is better, fast for several days in a row, or eat right and take detox pills. I personally prefer the second method and I regularly use Toxin Rid tablets every three months. I recently learned about them from a review at https://righttoheal.org/toxin-rid-10-day-detox/. There is detailed information about these pills and you can easily find out all the information!

I have found that a liquid type fast helps break our carb addiction. After 3-5 days there is no more pangs for simple carbs like crisps and hog lumps....We mostly crave brain matter....sorry, that’s a different movie....? Seriously though it really helps kick start the good diet plan and stick to it for a good long while. Traveling is always the breaker. That and pandemics. ?

265 to 210 in about 6 months...........

NO sugar....cut it all out. (probably the hardest part of the whole thing...sugar is very addictive)  NO dairy....cut it all out.

black coffee in the morning only...none after that....use flavored stevia if I have to spice the flavor

don't eat until around 11-12.....eat as many FRESH vegetables (not frozen) as you want too... 4oz of lean beef (93-7) or free range chicken breast or 6 oz from the sea (wild catch only) for your protein.

second meal about 5 or 6pm......  same thing

Don't eat anything past an 8 hr window from when you first eat for the day.

Eat at least one apple per day for snack if you get hungry between meals...cucumbers are good also to take any craves away.

You must drink 64-100 oz of water every single day.

Some pink salt (1/8 tsp per day) is good for you if it has iodine in it.  Some don't...watch what you decide to use. (premier products is a good one)

I'm off my high BP meds...my knees don't hurt anymore and I feel 10 times better than I have in a long time.

If you don't cheat on it, guaranteed to work unless you have some medical problems that aren't fixable.

Good luck with your plan to lose weight.  You won't regret it.

I'm no healthy eating expert, but I did sleep at a holiday inn express once.

:unknown: