Hotel Nacional De Cuba ash trays

I went on what is probably a once in a life time trip to Cuba last October and spent a few days in Havana with the tour group we were a part of. My wife and I made the short walk down to the Nacional from the Habana Libre a couple of evenings to enjoy Cuba Libre's and smokes over looking the Malecon. It was pure heaven for me.

I purchased all of the cigars I smoked on the trip (and brought back home) from the LCDH in the Libre and at the LCDH at 5 y 16, so I never made it to the LCDH in the hotel (one of my regrets), and ever since I have jealously admired the hotel's ashtrays I've seen in some of the pictures in the Smoke of the Day thread. I don't know if the LCDH in the hotel even sells these things. I purchased a couple of ashtrays on the trip, one from the market in Havana and one from the gift shop located next to the rolling factory in Pinar del Rio, but I've always regretted not getting one of the Nacional ashtrays.

I googled this and found one for sale on eBay for $136. My guess is that's probably a pretty decent price, but I just would like to know if there are other sources available.

• Like 1

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So last night I am rushing home to get Valentine's Day present to my wife and my neighbor (who I smoke with quite often) yells at me to stop over.  I knew he had been in Cuba for a week.  I get up on

I didn't care for the heavy marble bases they added to the large ones.  If you thought they were heavy before they are extremely heavy now.  I passed on the large with the heavy base and got 2 smaller

Stogie, I am not sure if I understand what you mean. Do you want to buy ashtrays from LCDH? Those with brands logo?

If it is PM me and maybe I can help you.

Yes. I am interested in buying one of these ash trays, specifically the one stamped with "Hotel de Nacional Habana, Cuba" and I'm trying to find out if they are available, the source(s), and the price.

I'm also curious whether they are currently sold at the hotel, i.e. would I have been able to purchase one at the hotel and for what price when I was there last October, or are they "antiques" from the fifties/early 60's and no longer sold by the hotel. I don't recall seeing one at the hotel, but I was so overwhelmed by it all, it may have escaped me at the time. Just need some education on these things, and that's one of the benefits of the fellowship of FOH. Thanks for your help, Oliver.

They sell the in the foyer, gift area of teh Nacional. Heaps of different sizes and styles.

Ranging from about 20 CUC to about 50 CUC.

They sell the in the foyer, gift area of teh Nacional. Heaps of different sizes and styles.

Ranging from about 20 CUC to about 50 CUC.

Thanks. I missed that somehow. Wish I hadn't. But I really can't complain. The overall experience of being there was one I'll never forget.

• Like 1

They are great looking ashtrays! I know of at least one member here who has one, can't remember exactly who right now though. I think maybe Bartolomeo? I remember seeing pics and being very jealous...lol

Shipping must be a killer on those bad boys. They are heavy. I have seen the reddish/brown marble one and the black one too. I like the reddish brown one better myself.

Those are the ones, Shlomo, but I like the black one. wink2.gif They both look nice, though.

I paid a pretty penny for mine but probably my favorite cigar accessory I own. 30 CUC sticker on bottom. Weighs a ton though, so not the easiest thing to get out of Cuba. There are some on eBay but not 100% sure on legitimacy. For a real one I would expect to pay around $175-200 easily, its a lifetime gift to yourself.

Bart

post-5667-0-15752300-1375421809_thumb.jp

post-5667-0-40770800-1375421873_thumb.jp

• Like 1

They are incredibly heavy for their size. I've brought home one of the smaller ones myself.

The larger ones must be 25-30 pounds. I can remember going to lift one that was sitting on a stone pedestal somewhere in the lobby and thinking it was attached because it didn't budge.

They've been on sale in the hotel lobby everytime I've been there, as others have said, from $20 -$50, plus half your luggage weight allowance.

Somewhere in Havana there's a pink marble staircase that's getting slightly narrower every year.. :)

Great looking ashtray.

I own a byron cohiba ashtray that im very pleased with, took me forever to find a real one as most online are chinese knock offs.

post-7077-13754581587049.jpg

Have my eye on the byron montecristo triangular ashtray also. Might buy it for myself as a housewarming present.

I also love the black LCDH ashtrays with gold leaf. But could never justify the price.

They are incredibly heavy for their size. I've brought home one of the smaller ones myself.

The larger ones must be 25-30 pounds. I can remember going to lift one that was sitting on a stone pedestal somewhere in the lobby and thinking it was attached because it didn't budge.

They've been on sale in the hotel lobby everytime I've been there, as others have said, from $20 -$50, plus half your luggage weight allowance.

Somewhere in Havana there's a pink marble staircase that's getting slightly narrower every year.. smile.png

You can always bring a smaller & lighter Hotel Nacional ash-tray home ....

And save the staircase nyah.gif

post-4742-0-80876000-1375458984_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Really like seeing all the cool ashtrays!

Simply wow. Very nice ash trays. With my odds of winning a lottery being better than finding one of those gems I'll have to be content with admiring the pictures.

Great looking ashtray.

I own a byron cohiba ashtray that im very pleased with, took me forever to find a real one as most online are chinese knock offs.

post-7077-13754581587049.jpg

Have my eye on the byron montecristo triangular ashtray also. Might buy it for myself as a housewarming present.

I also love the black LCDH ashtrays with gold leaf. But could never justify the price.

simply gorgeous.

A few years back, before they sold the ashtrays at the hotel I paid off a security guard and out the back door we went! smile.png This ashtray weighs 30lbs and travelled home with me in my carry on. Air Canada doesn't weigh bags in Havana. At least not at the time.

IMG_6590.jpg

• Like 3

I've stayed at the Hotel National twice and each time brought backbone of their ashtrays, a small one and a black one. They have appeared over the last couple of years in the what did you smoke today thread. Love them and may get another this fall (large?)

Agreed with others. $25/$30 up to $60 CUC range, depending on size and colour pattern. Yes, sold in the historical shop there in the lobby.

And yes....while these weigh a TON and add on to your luggage, the secret is to have them in your carry on bag, or your camera or laptop bag for the flight home. This is due to most airlines (all Canadian ones that I know of) not including the weight from your carry-on or personal item (women's purse, or men's laptop bag or camera bag). So, you can fit a couple of these into your carry-on luggage, and not get dinged heavily on your weight allowances. (NOTE - I never bring a laptop down to Cuba, but I do bring one as my "day bag", as it works nicely as a daily courier-style bag, and keeps everything nice and padded and protected.)

I have a funny feeling that a wait-list/order-list may arise out of this thread for this November now...I've already got two PM's about this exact same thing, prior to this thread starting!!! LOL. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Sold on ebay this afternoon....

Hotel Nacional de Cuba solid marble ashtray, Havana cigar ashtray $_12.JPG

Item condition:

New

Ended:

Apr 15, 2015 , 12:41PM

Winning bid:

US $267.00

• Like 2