Hotel Nacional De Cuba ash trays


Recommended Posts

I haven't seen any solely plain ones before.  The vast majority are all "Hotel Nacional de Cuba", some "Conde de Villanueva", or even the odd "Club Habana", and others I've seen in the past say just "La Habana, Cuba".  But none I can recollect with absolutely no engraving / paint in-filling, to the best of my memory.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So last night I am rushing home to get Valentine's Day present to my wife and my neighbor (who I smoke with quite often) yells at me to stop over.  I knew he had been in Cuba for a week.  I get up on

I didn't care for the heavy marble bases they added to the large ones.  If you thought they were heavy before they are extremely heavy now.  I passed on the large with the heavy base and got 2 smaller

  • 1 month later...

I don't believe that's a "knock off", per say.  I think its just a replica of some promotional stuff from the 90's - it was either to do with Havana Club rum, or the Club Habana / old Biltmore beach club.

I've seen those ashtrays, and I've also seen the large porcelain cigar jars.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A lot of the hotels have similar marble ashtrays as the nacional except with their hotel listed....the nacional are the ones that get the attention...I was just there and they only had the small pipe shaped trays...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

t

1 hour ago, zeedubbya said:

So last night I am rushing home to get Valentine's Day present to my wife and my neighbor (who I smoke with quite often) yells at me to stop over.  I knew he had been in Cuba for a week.  I get up on the porch and he says.."so you want your ashtray now or later?"  Haha!  He brought back the best souvenir of all for me!  It's a small one, but I love it!  

 

 

 

That is a beautiful ashtray!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Zeedubbya, that's a nice one.  That style is getting very popular again, the pinkish-brown with the black.  It's nice to see all the colours they're getting the marble in now - I remember for many years it was only the beige colour, or grey.

 

IMG_8684.JPG

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hahahahaha,

nice to see those ashtrays but the absurd memories from 10 days ago trying to take one out of Havana come back .... B)

I found some ashtrays left on sale at the lobby and I bought two, a larger one, ca. 5 lbs heavy and a smaller one, ca. 2 lbs heavy.

While my suitcase was half empty, I carried 3 bottles of rum in it and was afraid the ashtrays would bounce around and break the bottles, so I put both in my carry-on bag.

Fast forward to HAV customs/security control at departure - the large ashtray was "confiscated" claiming to be a security risk, never mind the smaller one would fit better inside a fist to smash a head ...

It took me 45 minutes arguing with a bored to death supervisor, a furtive clandestine meeting in the men's room with an official and the re-arranging of my carry-on for it to be put in the aircraft hold with the ashtray ( but without my valuables which I carried in a plastic bag ) to finally get to keep the bloody ashtray.

Good thing was : nobody cared about my cigars - bad thing was : the whole issue kept me from smoking a cigar and having a few Cristals at the lounge :angry:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coming back in November last year, I nearly had a bit of trouble with the ashtray I had. Keith kindly offered me to take off him a large grey ashtray he picked up earlier in the week but were then out of stock. Packed into my check in luggage and didn't really think twice about it, until check in. Counter lady informed me I was several kilos over weight (and here I thought I lost weight on this trip :P) and asked if I had another bag to split my luggage. Was afraid she was going to tell me to go buy another bag, as she did with the couple before me, when she looked me over and said, "Don't worry Mr Lim, I will just mark your bag as 23kg" . :D Kindly thanked her several times, wished her a good day, and went off to join Rob to search for our plane.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, nino said:

Hahahahaha,

nice to see those ashtrays but the absurd memories from 10 days ago trying to take one out of Havana come back .... B)

I found some ashtrays left on sale at the lobby and I bought two, a larger one, ca. 5 lbs heavy and a smaller one, ca. 2 lbs heavy.

While my suitcase was half empty, I carried 3 bottles of rum in it and was afraid the ashtrays would bounce around and break the bottles, so I put both in my carry-on bag.

Fast forward to HAV customs/security control at departure - the large ashtray was "confiscated" claiming to be a security risk, never mind the smaller one would fit better inside a fist to smash a head ...

It took me 45 minutes arguing with a bored to death supervisor, a furtive clandestine meeting in the men's room with an official and the re-arranging of my carry-on for it to be put in the aircraft hold with the ashtray ( but without my valuables which I carried in a plastic bag ) to finally get to keep the bloody ashtray.

Good thing was : nobody cared about my cigars - bad thing was : the whole issue kept me from smoking a cigar and having a few Cristals at the lounge :angry:

 

Ouch. 

That's similar to the issue that Chris had when we transited / transferred between flights in Mexico City on our way home last year.

I think he still owes me a sexual favour for helping him out of THAT one!  :D

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Coming back in November last year, I nearly had a bit of trouble with the ashtray I had. Keith kindly offered me to take off him a large grey ashtray he picked up earlier in the week but were then out of stock. Packed into my check in luggage and didn't really think twice about it, until check in. Counter lady informed me I was several kilos over weight (and here I thought I lost weight on this trip :P) and asked if I had another bag to split my luggage. Was afraid she was going to tell me to go buy another bag, as she did with the couple before me, when she looked me over and said, "Don't worry Mr Lim, I will just mark your bag as 23kg" . :D Kindly thanked her several times, wished her a good day, and went off to join Rob to search for our plane.

Yes, I was glad to help you out with that one.  Since there was a certain American traveler who scooped up FIVE of the giant / large ones ALONE, and loudly for the profess reason to re-sell them, even though we all asked him to leave at least the ONE for YOU, I figured I'd help you out.  Hey, I'm just as apt (as anyone can see on other sites) to pick up what I can of those, and help out friends with what I can, and re-sell the rest.  But considering all the details surrounding your trip and definitive want to grab one of those, and the repeated requests on our parts, most of us thought it was a pretty lame move to do that and screw you out of that.

So, I was definitely glad and willing to do what I could (hence our week-long re-visits to Margarite, and then getting you set up with mine instead when that didn't pan out).

You're welcome.

And yet...

...

...

...

...

You STILL LOST MY GRAB BAG FULL OF CIGARS after the bar that one night!!!!!  :tantrum:

:stir:   :devil2:

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, nino said:

Hahahahaha,

nice to see those ashtrays but the absurd memories from 10 days ago trying to take one out of Havana come back .... B)

I found some ashtrays left on sale at the lobby and I bought two, a larger one, ca. 5 lbs heavy and a smaller one, ca. 2 lbs heavy.

While my suitcase was half empty, I carried 3 bottles of rum in it and was afraid the ashtrays would bounce around and break the bottles, so I put both in my carry-on bag.

Fast forward to HAV customs/security control at departure - the large ashtray was "confiscated" claiming to be a security risk, never mind the smaller one would fit better inside a fist to smash a head ...

It took me 45 minutes arguing with a bored to death supervisor, a furtive clandestine meeting in the men's room with an official and the re-arranging of my carry-on for it to be put in the aircraft hold with the ashtray ( but without my valuables which I carried in a plastic bag ) to finally get to keep the bloody ashtray.

Good thing was : nobody cared about my cigars - bad thing was : the whole issue kept me from smoking a cigar and having a few Cristals at the lounge :angry:

Habanos Mike and I luckily avoided this issue in November.Bart had headed home a couple days before us and sent us a text.

"put ash trays in checked luggage " Otherwise I would have had it in carry on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

Yes, I was glad to help you out with that one.  Since there was a certain American traveler who scooped up FIVE of the giant / large ones ALONE, and loudly for the profess reason to re-sell them, even though we all asked him to leave at least the ONE for YOU, I figured I'd help you out.  Hey, I'm just as apt (as anyone can see on other sites) to pick up what I can of those, and help out friends with what I can, and re-sell the rest.  But considering all the details surrounding your trip and definitive want to grab one of those, and the repeated requests on our parts, most of us thought it was a pretty lame move to do that and screw you out of that.

So, I was definitely glad and willing to do what I could (hence our week-long re-visits to Margarite, and then getting you set up with mine instead when that didn't pan out).

You're welcome.

And yet...

...

...

...

...

You STILL LOST MY GRAB BAG FULL OF CIGARS after the bar that one night!!!!!  :tantrum:

:stir:   :devil2:

 

Quite true, quiet true. :blush:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was able to buy the large grey one earlier this month...first day in Havana and they didnt have any when I went back a few days later.  It was a hassle getting it through both Cuban and US customs...Cuba wanted to seize it and then agreed to let me keep it if I checked the bag...US of A did a full test of it with the powder and everything (this was after going through customs and getting on a connecting flight)...so yea a pain but worth it for such a nice keepsake. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.