Fly fishing in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Jefferson

We just got back Friday night, two glorious weeks of trout fishing in the Colorado Rockies. Awesome!

Smoking a Perlas, mid stream...

Colorado_2013_166.jpg

Trout bums in training...

Colorado_2013_198.jpg

Colorado_2013_201.jpg

Sprague Lake. We had good luck with both browns and brook trout here...

Colorado_2013_179.jpg

Big Thompson River. We fished several sections of this river, caught browns, brookies and even a few greenback cutthroats.

Colorado_2013_253.jpg

Fall River. A great little river thats easy to fish, we did more than half of our fishing in it between Fan Lake and Hidden Valley Creek. You can catch the 4 species grand slam on this section of water, but personally we never saw a rainbow during the 6 or 7 times we fished it. Lots of browns and brook trout tho.

Colorado_2013_219.jpg

Most of the fish we caught were fairly small, IIRC our biggest fish was a 14" brownie we caught at Sprague Lake. Small or no, it was a lot of fun. We're already planning for next year.

Colorado_2013_233.jpg

• Like 1

That's God's country. Beautiful!

Yes, yes it is. Easily one of the most beautiful places I've been to. We're thinking of western Montana for next summer, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone.

I did a road trip through the Ozarks years ago. We hit the Norfolk, Little Red, and White. I'm mainly interested in the Little Red and White. Wouldn't mind snagging some big browns on sink tips and large streamers.

Excellent, you aiming for the White River, North Fork, or.....?

Just got back from fishing a day in the west Yellowstone area. Try to hit it late June to early Aug. I missed the hatches but there were still fish. They were the light hitting, smarter kind. Hard to set on hook. Nice array of 20 inch browns and 10-12 inch rainbows.

Just got back from fishing a day in the west Yellowstone area. Try to hit it late June to early Aug. I missed the hatches but there were still fish. They were the light hitting, smarter kind. Hard to set on hook. Nice array of 20 inch browns and 10-12 inch rainbows.

Nice! I hope to fish the Yellowstone region at least once before these two head off to college.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We spend our summers in Durango and fish the San Juan mostly. Been fishing the SJ since 1988. April and October/November are prime dry fly months with good Baetis hatches. It's a great river- small bugs and BIG fish.