18yo scotch

dangolf18

I wouldn't get stuck on the age statements... Kilchoman for example has some very nice smokey scotch and they are under 5 years old. Since you like Islay, give Port Charlotte 10YO a shot.

I wouldn't get stuck on the age statements... Kilchoman for example has some very nice smokey scotch and they are under 5 years old. Since you like Islay, give Port Charlotte 10YO a shot.

I second Port Charlotte, Bruichladdich putting out some amazing stuff at 10 YO

The Macallen 18!

Are you serious? It's hard to find a single malt that is more overpriced. Not to mention only 43% ABV, chill-filtered, and with caramel coloring added. :rolleyes:

If you want mainstream, I recommend the Glenmorangie 18 - in my neck of the woods it is less than half the price of the Macallan 18.

What is the best value 18yo single malt out there? And was wondering if 21yo scotch is overkill (never tried one but I hear Balvenie 21 is good).

What do you look for in a scotch? Smoke peat sherried conplex easy drinking natural presentation etc etc. IMO the most important factor is the inherent quality of tge malt not how long it has sat in a barrel. So i would second the majority of the above replies.

But if you really want an 18yo, I would consider Glendronach 18 yo Allardyce which is a natural presentation sherry cask natured single malt.

I'm a huge fan of the Glenfiddich 18 year old. Lots of cinnamon and spice with a nice honey finish. Probably my favorite non-Balvenie out there. (I prefer Speysides over the others.) Runs around $90 a bottle in my neck of the woods. Enjoying some right now with a nice Partagas 898v (RUE MAY 11).

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

In regard to your 21 year old ponder, I've said it on the forum many times.

It just doesn't get much better than the Old Pulteney 21 year old!!!!

It's not 18, but the Olld Pulteney 17 year old is Fantastic too!!!!

Best value 18....The Highland Park 18 was a decent deal last November,and HP is a super dram.However I recommend you begin with the 12,it speaks well of the distillery.Glenmorangie is another excellent single that portrays its heritage.

The Balvenie 21 is an ethereal dram,multi layered,smooth,totally captivating.You will find yourself thinking about it at work,in bed,and you will hide it in your closet when your friends come over.Yes it is that good.It is not cheap...

However it is not phenolic and brackish and seaweedy like the Islay giants you like,nor are any other whiskies,regardless of where in Scotland you look.

Even the other Islay malts take a back seat in intensity to Laga and Laphroaig.You started at the top of intensity.

a 21 year scotch will be dryer and more austere than its younger siblings.Age can reduce nuances and esters in a whisky,so if you want to seek out an older one,choose one at a higher proof,preferably 90 or more.Too many 80 and 86 proof 20 plus year old Single Malts are a pale shadow of what was once a good dram,if fact I really do not favor 80 proof malts over 12 years old,so do seek out the higher proof offerings in older expressions.

Don't be afraid to go off the reservation,there are many excellent independent bottlers that offer high proof and single barrel expressions that will satisfy you,just do your homework and look for them.

Concerning single barrel malts,some are terrific,some are dismal.Being a single barrel means the whisky has to stand on its own,no help allowed.You would think that to bottle a barrel by itself it would have to be good,right? Not so,if company x has a really old barrel of Glen Goober 35 and wants your $$$, they can bottle it up and charge a fortune,some people will pay STUPID money for whiskey and set it on a shelf to be opened for a special occasion and ultimately be disappointed.

For a single barrel purchase, trust a distillery you know,or take a recommendation from someone whos palate you trust who has tasted it.

Give Springbank 18 a try if you can find it.

Excellent dram without a doubt.In the value category,depends on how much your normal bottle costs,I guess..........

• 2 weeks later...

highland park 18. YUM!!!!

This is the next one for me to try. I found HP12 to be amazingly balanced yet needed a little more "oomph" (wood?)

So evidently the extra peppery power of the 18 might be the answer.

• 3 weeks later...

What is the best value 18yo single malt out there? And was wondering if 21yo scotch is overkill (never tried one but I hear Balvenie 21 is good).

Depend on your tastes. The lslays have a smokey peaty flavour. I once gave a noob scotch drinker a drink of Lagavulin and he said it tasted like burnt socks. To me it tastes like liquid cigars

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...