Xikar Quality

I have always been a fan of Xikar cutters and lighters but have noticed over the past two years a significant number of them coming back fro repair.

Is Xikar quality as good as it once was? I would love to get your opinion as you are probably closer tot he action than I am.

If you can, list your "go to " brand for quality cutters and lighters. I like to only stock a limited range here at Czars and prefer where possible "bullet proof" accessories.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drguano, the salt you are using... did you buy it from a reliable source?

XIKAR and quality there's two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence LOL

Their warranty service is great but I will never buy a lighter from them again. I've had to replace three models at least four times.

I have always been a fan of Xikar cutters and lighters but have noticed over the past two years a significant number of them coming back fro repair.

Is Xikar quality as good as it once was? I would love to get your opinion as you are probably closer tot he action than I am.

If you can, list your "go to " brand for quality cutters and lighters. I like to only stock a limited range here at Czars and prefer where possible "bullet proof" accessories.

If you want bullet proof then its got to be the ST Dupont maxijet lighter, I had reservations about the price at first but by heck has it proved itself, I can't count the amount of times I've dropped this thing... still works every time, it really is bulletproof and look's classy as hell. For a soft flame I don't think you can beat a Zippo with the butane insert.

I once bought the Xikar Executive (first series, not the II) from an online shop, it didnt work out of box so I returned it. The replacement they sent didnt work either. I swear I think they sent me the same exact lighter as the replacement. Either way the original Executive felt cheap, I dont think it would have lasted long anyway. I did give Xikar another chance though because of the warranty, I bought new XTX double. It's heavy and chunky but works great, we'll see how it stands up to the test of time.

Love my Xikar element lighter. You really cannot go wrong with their lifetime replacement warranty as long as they stay in business. Many folks here in the US love their products. If my 20 year old Zino cutter ever dies, I will buy a Xikar cutter next.

I've got a stack of Xikar cutters and I love them

Never tried their lighters though. I know a few people who have had to send them back over the years for various problems

My 2 go-to lighters are a Siglo and a Black Label

Both of my lihters get treated like crap and still perform flawlessly

Currently got an Xikar cutter which has been ok not great. Was sent back for a sharpen and minor fix.

Warranty was great no issues and they just sent me a new one, cant complain about that.

Looking into the ST Dupont lighters though, from what I have read here they are the go..

Im not happy with my Xi3 cutter, had it less then a year, used a handful of times and the grip for the handle fell off..

I know they warranty there there stuff, but its a hassle to send it back.. Guess good ol crazy should do the job ;)

x2 on the Palio cutters. I've had mine now for many years and it's still as sharp as when I got it, plus they have lifetime warranty if needed. As close to bulletproof as you can get IMHO.

x3....also think if u have an issue u can return it to any authorized dealer and swap it out, so no sending it through the mail, but they're so well made I don't see myself having to do that, just a nice security blanket.

I do have a Xikar V cutter, don't use it much any more, but I found it to be good quality, just not as good as Palio

If you want bullet proof then its got to be the ST Dupont maxijet lighter, I had reservations about the price at first but by heck has it proved itself, I can't count the amount of times I've dropped this thing... still works every time, it really is bulletproof and look's classy as hell. For a soft flame I don't think you can beat a Zippo with the butane insert.

Agreed on DuPont. I've got an 8 yr old xtend (what Maxijet is now) and its bullet proof.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=19.390021,-81.404436

I have a Tech single for about 2 months and it no longer sparks :( I've not sent it back yet because not sure if it worth shipping it from Canada..

I also have a Xi1 cutter, nice and sharp but if your not careful you can pinch a finger.

These are my first lighter and cutter and bought them because of the lifetime warranty and they are not too expensive. I've been reading the lighter thread and seeing what I might buy next.

I'm biased because xikar was started here locally by some Kansas university grads. I love my Xi3 cutter. Used to feel the same way about my Cuban crafters cutters, but always reach for the xikar now.

Wifey gave me one of the triple torch table tops. Had to send it back with clogged jets. Easy replacement and been running fine for a year since I only use quintuple refined butane now. Same is true on all my lighters. The better quality butane makes the torches last. Also have a Xikar non torch model which has always been excellent.

Hmm. I've never had an issue with xikar out side of me dropping them.

or losing them whistle.gif

We've talked about this in other posts before.

I'm a huge fan of Xikar cutters. Their lighters....not so much.

I have their cutters (different "Xi..." series) in:

• beech wood
  • amboina burl
  • redwood
  • carbon fibre
  • tech (beadblast finish w/ rubber grips)
  • Mayan 3D

I really can't say a bad word about their cutters. Yes, I've had a few go back for sharpening, but it's replacement only now - they don't do blade sharpening anymore, but just straight-out replacement instead, although none of my cutters needed actual replacing.

I've had and have different Colibri and other cutters (Cuban Crafters, etc.), and have not had as clean or perfect of cuts as I have with Xikar products. Also, while I haven't directly purchased any, I have used many different Palio cutters, and for the cost, I feel that they are cheaply made plastic-items, and they don't function and/or cut as well as the Xikar products.

Yet....

While I love my Xikar Enigma gunmetal lighter, I'm on my third one since 2010 or so for warranty issues. Yes, their warranty and replacement guidelines, and therefore customer service, is exquisite. But, that lighter (since I don't use it as much as others) shouldn't have needed to be replaced as many times, if it was engineered and produced correctly. However, I love the asthetic appeal of it, so I've jumped through the hoops to date. Fingers crossed for the current lighter.

So....cutters awesome, lighters could be better, either way, customer service is amazing should you need to use it.

Same here, my Xikar EX II lasted 3 months and died suddenly -

they will replace it, but as this model (the only softflame they used to make)

is out of production it's only a question of time that they run out of supply

should there be problems with the next one.

As for cutters,

I love the ones that Wolfertz / Solingen make -

good old fashioned double blade in the style of a Zino cutter for a fraction of the price.

Very sharp blades, they really last long.

BTW, Wolfertz is distributor for Xikar and they alsop produce the Xikar blades ;-)

I like and use the Xikar Multitool scissors daily as well as some of their cutters ( sadly the Xikar ones made by Wolfertz in Solingen are history ).

Wouldn't touch their lighters with a pole, absolute crap from the 2-3 I had.

Their products having a lifetime warranty it's easy to exchange if defective, but takes out the satisfaction of a well made product.

For lighters I love the ST Dupont Defi Extreme and the Prince ( Japan ) PB 207 lighter.

I've said this in another thread, but u have two Firebird (by Colibri) lighters, and I love them. Both are single flame, one has a flip top and the other has what I call a thumb release. Pull back on the top and the flame comes out same time. That one is my favorite and has a little light on it so it comes in handy when out camping or if you must need a little light to see something. That particular one has last me over a year without a hitch, and I really have not been taking care of it. It's pretty scratched up from dropping it and the igniter is filthy seeing how I have done no maintenance to it except for refills and still it lights every time. My only complaint is no fuel window. And both are cheap, ran me $25 a pop. Small and lightweight, you don't even notice them in your pocket.

As for cutters, I have a Xikar XI3 I believe, in the carbon fibre finish, and it is great, excellent feel and easy to handle and fits perfect in your hand and pocket.