Xikar Quality

I have two of their cutters. An original scissors multitool which I love. I also have a titanium cutter (Xi3) which is a replacement for one I bought and the blades started sticking. This one has worked flawlessly..

I tend to use one for a month then switch to the other for a month.

In addition I have Xikar Axia Double torch lighter that I have had no problems with to date. Again, I switch off lighters as well on a monthly basis. Actually I have been looking for another lighter as well. No particular reason other than I think I need another one. :lol3:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drguano, the salt you are using... did you buy it from a reliable source?

XIKAR and quality there's two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence LOL

Their warranty service is great but I will never buy a lighter from them again. I've had to replace three models at least four times.

Not been impressed with recent XIKAR lighters, I grabbed the new crossover a years or so back and nothing but problems. Palio cutters the last three years or so seem to have taken a real dive in quality too, shame as my first one was excellent, stayed sharp for about five years but three replacements later and still not had a satisfactory cut.

I hate to say it but Colibri lighters recently have been great for me. Best cutters that I have is a Credo three in 1 punch and the Firstland quad-table cutter

$%28KGrHqRHJBwE8fdlVnBGBPLEL!GV5!~~60_35.JPG

CAC-14CPT-3.jpg?1369418535

• Like 1

Excellent customer service,very good cutters,love the different finishes and their cutting action.

As far as lighters I have only one,can't recall the model,it has a single torch and an integrated punch,with a little tlc,it works every time for me.excellent cigar cases as well.

Overall I would recommend them.

This is a subject I have commented on on several occasions.

Xikar cutters: I have used all the major cutters including palio, cuban crafters and even a ST dupont maxijet cutter I bought to match my lighter. Xikar xi series beats them all hands down, sharpeness of blade and resistive action when cutting give very controlled clean cuts. I have my xi 1 going on 3 years and it remains as sharp as ever. Also have an xi2 and recently purchased an x8. Thoroughly impressed with them all.

Xikar lighters: used to despise them becuase every xikar i had owned crapped out on me, gave up on them then my gf bought me two of the tech series which are still my most commonly used lighters to this day. Still going strong and i customised them both to throw out a major flame. Fuel tanks are huge. At the end of the day I currently have 5 xikar lighters and 2 of them have had to go back, not impressed with this but they were replaced with xikar within a week and they threw in free leather sheaths. All xikar lighters I own work extremely well now, it was over a year ago when I sent the last one back.

Xikar cigar cases: fantastic.

Xikar travel humidors: the best. Hands down.

Xikar customer service: impeccable.

On lighters...

I also own a ST Dupont maxijet. It's my favourite lighter and in all honesty my most reliable. Having said that ive always wanted a classic side strike ST dupont ligne 2 but could never afford or justify spending the money on one.so after months of research I bought a hand made soft flame lighter from a small Japanese firm called Sarome and I completely adore it. Beautifully made, exceptionally reliable and 1/4 the price of a dupont ligne 2. Plus I can use my own butane and standard flints. It also still looks great.

love my xikar cutter, have yet to replace it. colibri cutter butchers my cigars.

lighters, i use a cheap 10$ ronson that still works amazing

I have a couple xikar cutters and they are great. I also have a xikar double flame lighter that has worked well for a year or so but a good friend of mine has gone through three lighters and they all failed the same way- they stopped lighting.

I have a Xi1 cutter which is very sharp, but I've only had it for about two months. I have a couple of xikar hygrometers that are still holding up after a couple of years. My newest acquisition is the 10 count travel humidor which looks great, because I've yet to try it, but has an annoying irremovable humidifier at the top. It's really the lifetime warranty that gets me every time, nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a couple Promethues Legend lighters (no longer made) at a clearance a good 6-7 or more years ago - 1 stopped after a few years had it repaired at my cost and was never pleased with the performance. Fired up the second one and its been going strong for the last 3+ years. That one is acting up - after releasing the plunger it doesn't always cut off the fuel - so I have to "listen" for the all clear sign before putting away.

Because of that I recently purchased a Dupont Xtend - made in France version - which I hear may be preferred over the Maxijet. Seems to be a quality piece - have high expectations for it!

No input on cutters - have used whatever I had around without much thought to it - just purchased some Paul Garmirian cutters (not the super cutter) - have heard good reviews - anyone else use one of those?

I purchased myself a Xikar cutter about 12 months ago or more and its still as sharp as the day I purchased it. Granted, I don't smoke a lot, but it often gets passed around the group cutting everyone elses cigars. Comments aplenty on how sharp it is.

My wife purchased me a Lamborghini lighter and it hasn't missed a beat. Lights first time, every time. Single jet, nice and slim with a huge tank, considering the lighter isn't all that big.

I've had cheaper lighters (I think most lighters are cheaper than this one lol) and they go arse up within 12 months. THis will hang around for years I think.

Nothing bad to say about Xikar, i have the Xi2 cutter and the Xikar Trezo Triple torch lighter. they both work flawlwessly. construction feels solid, especially the lighter. but like any company they all can't be flawless. after all they are made by the most inconsistent of all creatures, humans. LOL tongue.png

i just lucked out like some others here.

I use the Xikar multitool scissors all the time. Highly recommend it for sharp cutting and handy to take around with you.

I use a Wal-Mart stocked Ronson lighter I found in the middle of the road, all beat to crap. I took it home, filled it with Xikar butane and it works GREAT!!! I'm never buying an expensive lighter again. If this thing ever dies I'm going to Wal-Mart to buy a new one for like $8 or something.

• Like 1

I've had great luck with the Xikar cutters, still have the first two I ever got – only once have had to get one sharpened and a screw replaced, probably the one I've had for a decade or better. Loved the keychain punch I had until I lost the bottom bit (the important part). So, while quality was good then, can’t speak for now.

However the lighters have been abysmal.

Bought an Executive only a few years back that held in really well for awhile, and I'm not easy on lighters....

Anyway, the striker mechanism finally wore out (though the finish also had much 'patina' by then). Sent it back for a replacement under the lifetime guarantee.

Got a new one back a couple of weeks later that worked great for 5-6 months, then wouldn't light at all.

Sent in for replacement, got another one - striker button locked up in about a week.

Sent it back with some additional communications to the firm and received another.

This one out of the box would not light. After a few attempts flames were coming out the striker button gap.

So, fed up enough I called the offices to let them know about my experience. Suggested they look in to their QA processes.

They were very gracious and responsive, sent me a new upgraded model for my troubles.

Anyway I've had that one a few months and for most of those it has worked admirably. However recently it became difficult to light and only when doing so with the fuel knob set full up. That and the cap over the jet stopped pulling back on occasion when the lighter was struck.

Was in a local shop yesterday and the clerk was kind enough to do his best to get it in better working order. With a few tricks of the trade (including removing the fuel screw and then the ‘safety’ ) he returned it to roughly working order. In fact I can now get it to light regularly with the fuel screw mostly down.

Still expect I’ll be returning it in the near future and taking their offer for fuel in exchange. Regardless, I must say their customer service is excellent.

In terms of cutter recommendations my Palio cutter is my favorite though I occasionally use a sharp knife to peel off the cap – maybe there’s a market in that as well. Had good experience with Davidoff scissors too.

Lighter-wise I've found plastic, disposable yet refillable jets you can actually take on a flight at around $1.50US are the best bargain - they're cheaper than Bics and even if they only last a few weeks it's not a big deal. If I knew the brand/wholesaler/manufacturer I'd let you know.

That or the ST Dupont. Not really familiar with anything else between.

I do look forward to the products you may arrive at since, if you get the feedback you should from our community, they’ll most likely be best in class.

TLDR: Xikar service is good, lifetime guarantees are solid, cutters are (were) good, Xikar lighters suck. Recommend Palio cutters, cheap jets or ST Dupont for lighters…..will most likely buy whatever Rob stocks in cutters and lighters following this discussion.

I hate to say it but Colibri lighters recently have been great for me. Best cutters that I have is a Credo three in 1 punch and the Firstland quad-table cutter

$%28KGrHqRHJBwE8fdlVnBGBPLEL!GV5!~~60_35.JPG

CAC-14CPT-3.jpg?1369418535

That Firstland desktop cutter looks like the ultimate cigar cutter to have.

Xikar cutters are probably one of the best IMO. Although I imagine trying to exchange a faulty from Aus would be quite hassle

I've had great luck with the Xikar cutters, still have the first two I ever got – only once have had to get one sharpened and a screw replaced, probably the one I've had for a decade or better. So, while quality was good then, can’t speak for now.

However the lighters have been abysmal.

TLDR: Xikar service is good, lifetime guarantees are solid, cutters are (were) good, Xikar lighters suck.

X2 on your comments.

My take on the declining quality of the cutters is their out-sourcing to China.

Before that, the Solingen made cutters were first class.

Palio cutters for me,period.After three years of daily service mine is still sharp,and has never damaged a stick.

I have a few small torch lighters I paid $5.00 for that have lasted for 4 to 5 years.

I only use premium butane and they always work just fine.

I've had great experiences with xikar. The cutters stay sharp and I've had no issues. The lighters are not as good, although I've been lucky with mine. I mentioned in another thread that I know people that have gone through multiple lighters with very short lifespans.

I am a huge fan of the Xikar cutters, I have a Havana Collection Xi3 which I just had to send for repair because one of the screws fell out and I could not find it. They sharpened the blades and replaced the lost screw, the return process was rather hassle free as well. However I do have a Xikar light that I am not a fan of, I've got a IMCorona Old Boy with the wide flame that I usually like to use, but in wind its awful, so I just recently ordered a ST Dupont MaxiJet for those windy days.

I once bought the Xikar Executive (first series, not the II) from an online shop, it didnt work out of box so I returned it. The replacement they sent didnt work either. I swear I think they sent me the same exact lighter as the replacement. Either way the original Executive felt cheap, I dont think it would have lasted long anyway. I did give Xikar another chance though because of the warranty, I bought new XTX double. It's heavy and chunky but works great, we'll see how it stands up to the test of time.

well that didnt take long, my new XTX double stopped working. I sent it back to Xikar today, we'll see how the return process goes.

Want to piggy back the Siglo Question - interested in reviews thoughts on the Seki single blade guillotine - I have the Paul Garmirian plastic guillotine and love it - anyone use the Siglo Seki?