Xikar Quality

Working at a cigar shop, we had our usual returns (lighters not sparking, cutters going dull). But over the past few months, I have noticed to see those starting to pick up, especially the lighters not sparking.

A year ago, it was usually just me purging the lighter the right way, and refilling, but now, the lighters just simply wont work. I am not sure whats going on there.

At least they do honor their warranty, with little to no hassle.

• Like 1

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drguano, the salt you are using... did you buy it from a reliable source?

XIKAR and quality there's two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence LOL

Their warranty service is great but I will never buy a lighter from them again. I've had to replace three models at least four times.

Xi2 Cutter I bought about 3 or 4 years ago was never very good and went downhill fast about a year ago. Literally began falling apart. As it never cut as good as the $2 cheapies, i have never sent out to replace.

Xikar element lighter purchased 2 or 3 years ago worked well for about a year. Crapped out. Never bothered sending back in as I know it will crap right back out.

I know a number of mates who've had the same issues. I'm done with their products. I do have a Xikar travel humi that has served me well.

well that didnt take long, my new XTX double stopped working. I sent it back to Xikar today, we'll see how the return process goes.

Got my new XTX double in the mail today, that was pretty quick turn around time. We'll see if this one lasts longer.

I'm kind of in the fence bout xikars quality. A year or so ago I bought a Ultra lighter/cutter combo for pocket carry since they are magnetized and stick together. The cutter has always been fine and worked as advertised. No complaints there. The lighter on the other hand went out after just a few weeks of use. It stopped firing reliably. But, I did send it back to Xikar and they did replace it immediately. Here's the problem though. The replacement did the exact same thing. So, I just sat on that one for months discouraged by its failure and determined never to buy a Xikar lighter again. Finally a few weeks ago I decided that I had paid all that money because of the warranty so I might as well send in the lighter. Xikar sent me a replacement faster than I could ever imagine. I'm not sure how they did it but they must have put it in the air the same day they received my dud. This new lighter has been %100 reliable. I seriously don't think it has misfired at all. So in short, I got a few duds but always received hassle free replacements and can't say anything bad about the company.

I'll be another +1 on the St DuPont maxi jet....I have dropped, washed and dropped a few more times....it works every time and looks good..you get what you pay for..

After nearly a year of mulling, today I have received the free stingray sheath to go with this new cutter of mine:

qyde8eqy.jpg

The intricate detail of the cutter really looks better in real life.

I love how the handle portions and the blades are the same pieces in construction, at least that is how they appear to me as I cannot make out any joints or seams. Certainly, there are no bolts to attach the handle portions to the blade.

Irrespective, it is still just a Xikar but it is a very beautiful piece that I will be proud to use...sparingly...for those special occasions. :D

I love my Xikar Scissors, but every lighter I've had by them has had to be sent in for service. That being said, the warranty can't be beat.

My vector tri pump is very reliable and I've even brought it along with me if I'm not smoking at home lol. Wish my ST didn't get stolen. I only had it for 2 days. Birthday gift. chicken.gifcowpoop.gifdevil2.gifangry.pngbsmeter.gifmad.gifmob.gif

i'm going to weigh in late here...... Rob it depends on price point. Xikar quality has never been great and they display that when you send a product in for repair and they just send you a new one and recycle or trash your defective piece. From a profit perspective it says they don't have much in these lighters. Their cutters have an excellent design that I think is the best however they are made with cheap steel so they dull rather quickly. Irrelevant but a xikar cutter with blades made from tool steel hardened and properly sharpened would be the cutter of the century (would likely be on the top of $350US but would stay sharp for 6+ years). dupont maxijet china lighters are not the famous "made in France" models that put maxi jet/xtend on the map. Ive owned two and both were broken on first drop, dented case and the safety bar or lever bent. A torch sucks from a reliability stand point (any of them) so it is best that one sticks with a lifetime warranty like xikar if they desire a blue flame as long as they can except it will break and need replacement.

In my opinion If you are trying to shelf a lighter that customers will return to tell you its their favorite cigar accessory they have ever bought then I'd suggest converting your customers to soft flame. Dupont excels with these lighters Ligne 1& 2's.

I would stock dupont line 1,2,8's (all metal 1&2 models can be sold for 5-600 range and 300 for the 8's) IM corona, double corona and old boy for 2nd price tier and cheap large tank $10 throw away torches. Start them on the torch then move them to 2nd tier soft. When they fall in love with the soft put them in a dupont.

R

...IM corona, double corona and old boy for 2nd price tier...

Got a point there. I don't think anyone's carrying the IM Corona brand in Australia yet.

Plus, IM Corona manufactures some sleek torch lighters too in addition to their renowned soft flame lighters.

After nearly a year of mulling, today I have received the free stingray sheath to go with this new cutter of mine:

qyde8eqy.jpg

The intricate detail of the cutter really looks better in real life.

I love how the handle portions and the blades are the same pieces in construction, at least that is how they appear to me as I cannot make out any joints or seams. Certainly, there are no bolts to attach the handle portions to the blade.

Irrespective, it is still just a Xikar but it is a very beautiful piece that I will be proud to use...sparingly...for those special occasions. biggrin.png

I've had that cutter for a bit now. My favourite of all my different Xikars. Wonderful piece of kit.

To answer your curiosity, the handles are soldered onto the blades. On mine, it's just barely visible / apparent.

Cheers, and enjoy your new toy!!!!! :thumbsup:

• 1 year later...

I once bought the Xikar Executive (first series, not the II) from an online shop, it didnt work out of box so I returned it. The replacement they sent didnt work either. I swear I think they sent me the same exact lighter as the replacement. Either way the original Executive felt cheap, I dont think it would have lasted long anyway. I did give Xikar another chance though because of the warranty, I bought new XTX double. It's heavy and chunky but works great, we'll see how it stands up to the test of time.

I once bought the Xikar Executive (first series, not the II) from an online shop, it didnt work out of box so I returned it. The replacement they sent didnt work either. I swear I think they sent me the same exact lighter as the replacement. Either way the original Executive felt cheap, I dont think it would have lasted long anyway. I did give Xikar another chance though because of the warranty, I bought new XTX double. It's heavy and chunky but works great, we'll see how it stands up to the test of time.

a little over a year on it now, it has worked flawlessly. I've run a large can of vector quintuplus through it, hasnt clogged or needed cleaned

Never had a cutter but my Habanos series table top lighter is great. I've dropped it a few times and while it may not light on the first clip like it used to it will light by the third that's good enough for me. I've really abused this as I do most my stuff somehow and their lifetime guarantee is great as I called them a week ago about a replacement and they had no prob getting me a new one but it was a wedding gift from my wife so I'm trying to hang on to this one as long as it works fine, so far almost 5 yrs running. I do buy the 4x filtered butane for it and I really think that makes a difference.

XIKAR and quality there's two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence LOL

• Like 2

Very timely topic. On Monday I bought a new Xikar hygrometer. It says it does not need calibration. Salt test for 24 hours and it reads 69% rh. I took it back and exchanged it for another. 24 salt test and it reads 58% rh. My other hygrometers are all within 1-2 % of 75% in same salt test. I will be speaking to Xikar...

If said salt was bought at your local brick and mortar, even price is fair game for reference's sake. Now, if you got the material from an internet seller, then the answer is no, can't name the source, can't discuss the price stir.gif

Bought the Tech single about a year ago and crapped out on me bout 3-4 months after. A good friend of mine gifted me a handful of single flame torch lighters with the word Slick on it lol from Canadian Tire (like a walmart for home and car stuff) which probably cost no more than 7 -10 bucks a pop and man they are amazing lighters and really precise and to add to it, windproof as heck. Will never go back to my Tech Xikar or consider buying one again when i can get these cheapos for free that have now out lasted my xikar and take a beating. As for cutters i love my Xi, my scissors, but not so much the retractable punch i got. I'll be sending that for repairs soon even though i just got it as the punch remains outside the unit after i retract it lol not safe at all

Very timely topic. On Monday I bought a new Xikar hygrometer. It says it does not need calibration. Salt test for 24 hours and it reads 69% rh. I took it back and exchanged it for another. 24 salt test and it reads 58% rh. My other hygrometers are all within 1-2 % of 75% in same salt test. I will be speaking to Xikar...

Grab some boveda 75% hygrometer testing kits off eBay they're a few bucks each and dead on 75%.

I ordered a new Boveda Calibration kit last night. I have one that is 6 months old but the packet is pliable. Then I thought, what the heck, I can afford a new one. I have read a number of negative reviews of the Xikar PuroTemp 832XI since I bought mine.

A note to Jeanff, I make my own salt out of sodium and chloride. I also make my own water out of artisanal hydrogen and oxygen.

• Like 1

I ordered a new Boveda Calibration kit last night. I have one that is 6 months old but the packet is pliable. Then I thought, what the heck, I can afford a new one. I have read a number of negative reviews of the Xikar PuroTemp 832XI since I bought mine.

A note to Jeanff, I make my own salt out of sodium and chloride. I also make my own water out of artisanal hydrogen and oxygen.

The boveda calibration kit can be reused many, many times. Just rehydrate the mini bag.

My Puro Temp works great.

Cutter is ok.

Never had a lighter.

Nothing to complain about all my Xikar gear.