Xikar Quality

I like Xikar. I have had the cutter fixed/replaced, the punch fixed/replaced and the lighter fixed/replaced. My only complaint about my Xikar lighter is I can't find it. Now I just tweaked the salt/water mix a little bit (added a teeny bit of salt to absorb a minute amount of water) and now the 832XI has gone up from 59% to 73%. Very interesting. oliverdst, is your PuroTemp the new model that cannot be calibrated?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drguano, the salt you are using... did you buy it from a reliable source?

XIKAR and quality there's two words that shouldn't be used in the same sentence LOL

Their warranty service is great but I will never buy a lighter from them again. I've had to replace three models at least four times.

I have a Xikar but don't use it much. Ever since I bought a Palio self sharping cutter I only use this.

If you want a neat, clean and straight cut this is surely the way to go. I bought it from a cigar store

that was going under and picked it up for a song and a dance, love the camo. color.

If said salt was bought at your local brick and mortar, even price is fair game for reference's sake. Now, if you got the material from an internet seller, then the answer is no, can't name the source, can't discuss the price stir.gif

No discussion of regular salt sources or pricing. Pricing for regional edition salt can be discussed, as long as it was bought from a B&M.

Rumour has it, Alastair didn't quit Czars, but has been sent to Canada. Ostensibly, he is there for snowboarding and snow bunnies, but it's all a cover story, as he has gone over there to source salt for the new FOH branded Pure Salt Hygrometer Calibration Kit. hole.gifliar.gif

• Like 1

I like Xikar. I have had the cutter fixed/replaced, the punch fixed/replaced and the lighter fixed/replaced. My only complaint about my Xikar lighter is I can't find it. Now I just tweaked the salt/water mix a little bit (added a teeny bit of salt to absorb a minute amount of water) and now the 832XI has gone up from 59% to 73%. Very interesting. oliverdst, is your PuroTemp the new model that cannot be calibrated?

First of all, re-reading my post it sounded kind of I was saying to you that Xikar is great and you don't know anything about cigar gear. It wasn't my intention. I was just pointing that my stuff works ok.

Yes, the one that cannot be calibrated (maybe in the future Xikar adds this feature).

I have 3 sensors. All of them were calibrated using Boveda kit.

The result is the following:

Sensor A: (X-1)% RH

Sensor B: X% RH

Sensor C: (X+2)% RH

All temps were the same. I let them on my desk and could see that sometimes one of them was 1º Celsius higher than others.

If you check Xikar website you will see that the accuracy is

• (RH): +/- 2%
  • (Temp): +/- .1 °C

So, yes, I am happy with it.

No discussion of regular salt sources or pricing. Pricing for regional edition salt can be discussed, as long as it was bought from a B&M.

Rumour has it, Alastair didn't quit Czars, but has been sent to Canada. Ostensibly, he is there for snowboarding and snow bunnies, but it's all a cover story, as he has gone over there to source salt for the new FOH branded Pure Salt Hygrometer Calibration Kit. hole.gifliar.gif

Screw this, I'm going native and will be buying Drguano's homemade salt from now on. I'll also build my own hygrometer using a spruce twig. I shall be golden :P

• 4 weeks later...

I am on my third lighter with them, sure they guarantee them for life but what a PITA it becomes to swap them out, my shop doesn't mind doing it thankfully saves me on postage shipping them, but never again not a fan.

Have the Palio self sharping camo cutter and a Xikar cutter. I buy my lighters at the local flea market (out door swap meet)

for almost nothing for price. People pay to put up a tent with their goods for sale on the weekends so there is a

very low over head for them which equals items that are really cheap for the consumer. Like both cutters they have

been good to me.

Have had 2 Xikar lighter both in the 40-50 $CDN range, and both worked great for a couple months. Not sure if it is the lint that collects in my the pockets of my jeans or what, but eventually they start to falter and it becomes a thumb numbing exercise to get them to flame up. Now I buy cheap refillable lighters at $2.50 a pop that get me through about 4-5 months. Too bad though because I like the look and feel of the Xikars.

As for cutters, I ditched the guillotine cutter a while back unless smoking a pyramid/torpedo shape, in favour of a pocket knife or frequently gangster-style.

We all seem to have numerous lighters and cutters, from cheapies to expensive models. Whatever works best "for you" is what you should use. Having the novelty of choice and preference is awesome ! Personally, my "go to" cutter and lighter is the cheapy version, always got one in my pocket....in the garage....in the car, just so there handy. That being said, I do have an engraved Xikar lighter and cutter.. Engraved with " DAD " that will always be special no matter how it performs and the one I use whenever around other ppl. They look nice in there leather pouches and ppl often want to look at them.... And they look like a million bucks to me with the engraving! BTW... They work awesome too! Lol :)

I hate Xikar. I have had numerous problems with their products...and I am not rough with my accessories.

I had one of their punch cutters and it broke after punching only ONE cigar. (it was similar to the 007, but had a cone shape)

I was gifted a Xikar lighter and the opening mechanism shat the bed within one month. I bought a rosewood Xi3 and it lasted about 4 months until one of the handles cracked. Xikar replaced it with the carbon fibre version, and while cutting its 4th cigar, one of the side pieces popped off. While they may have the best warranty in the business, I shouldn't have to continually use it. I will say ,a friend recently gave me the ultra slim cutter and it is performing well so far. (knock on wood)

I love my Blazzer 207, palio and swiss army cigar cutter.

I use a Xi1 cutter which has been great so far. The punch I have (Not sure of the model) had been working well too, even though the finish looks terrible after being on a key ring for a month. Haven't owned a Xikar lighter so I can't comment on them.

I've purchased 3 Xikar products, and I'd have to say that overall, I'm very happy with them all! My absolute favorite are their scissors. I've just recently had troubles with the flame on my Xikar torch lighter, so I'll send that to get serviced eventually. These products are all at least 4 years old and have held up well with how heavily I've used them.

My fancy Xikar G2 Titanium Pulsar just shat itself...

Must have overheated in the sun while fishing and blown a seal...

Bummer...had to go old skool and Fire up a cedar spill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found Xikar quality somewhat lacking but their warranty is top shelf. Every time a lighter or cutter had issues they just reached into the case and gave me a new one. Now I typically use a Palio cutter that hasn't let me down and I use a Davidoff soft flame which I love.

I've had my Xikar ELX II lighter for a year and as long as I purge it before every refill, it functions reliably. The only lighting problem I have encountered is when the metal body gets too cold in the winter weather.

Anyone here use the Alec Bradley "Burner" tabletop lighter? I got one a couple of weeks ago and I love the larger flame.