Are Desktop Humidors Obsolete?

Once upon a time we would sell 100's of desktop humidors a year. These days no more than 50. I am partly to blame as I try and turn every desktop buyer to Thermoelectric fridges with humidification beads. For say$300-$400 domestically, you can have a temp and humidity control unit that looks great and stores 15-20 boxes at home....all for the price of a quality 75 - 100 cigar desktop humidor.

I do use a desktop for dry boxing. Outside of that....not much more. In fact I have about 8 lying around rotfl.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 7, Siglos mostly and a couple of Prometheus, they mostly accommodate non Cubans now which I will probably never smoke thanks to you wink2.gif I have a Vintec which is spot on. That being said it is nice to have a desktop on the bar or a buffet somewhere.

to the recreational smoker, they are being replaced by the cheapie amazon boxes that "work well enough" and the hard core blokes like us here at FoH are far more advanced at this point....

and yeah, it's all your fault that I now own a large wine fridge packed to the gills with boxes..... party.gif

I use mine for Dry Boxing only.

I've moved away from desktops into thermo fridges because my collection grew beyond what my two desktops could store

I guess with all the B&M's shutting up shop in this country people dont just grab a couple of singles a week anymore instead choosing to buy a box a month from one of the thousands of online retailers.

Plus, with US sites that carry desktop humis for as little as $45, people are (as with most things) buying offshore.

I still have two original desktop humis as they hold a lot of centimental value to me. I use one for over flow storeage of singles (as both my fridges are now full) and one for dry boxing.

A good friend of mine dropped serious coin on a custom made 75 count humi recently.He buys the odd 10 count box every couple of months and isnt interested in aging his sticks so it suits him perfectly. Its a beautiful piece and i'd love to have one but i cant justify dropping over $1000us on somthing that i dont need, wont use but still looks nice.

I've one for singles, one laying in pieces that I've been ..."doing up" for two years :D

For the same price as a 200 cigar count desktop here you can buy a 44 bottle wind fridge and 2lb of beads which is ready to go and hold 40 ish boxes. Practically speaking they are a dead technology along with music on LPs, telephone boxes on the street and Bruce Springsteen. Aesthetically speaking, they (and the previously mentioned) all have decent visual value still (Sorry Ken couldn't resist)

Practically speaking they are a dead technology along with music on LPs, telephone boxes on the street and Bruce Springsteen.

I love my Turntable. A good one (hooked into a decent stereo) will alays sound better than an MP3. Thanks to the hipster craze a lot of new albums are avaliable on Vinyl for close to what they cost on CD.

I guess i feel there is just something old fashioned about putting on a LP, lighting a cigar, pouring a rum and sitting outside with the missus for a game of chess that i really enjoy

I have 2 desktops for dry boxing. I've recently moved to a coolidor arrangement and tend to agree that desktops are becoming obsolete - especially when your collection starts growing over 10 boxes it just becomes too difficult to store that many cigars in a desktop arrangement.

Funnily enough, I'm actually thinking about getting a new desktop humidor (perhaps a Siglo or similar).

I currently keep my boxes in a thermoelectric wine fridge with heartfelt beads. But after struggling to maintain stable humidity last summer I am considering setting up a coolerdor instead and keeping it at my office which is air conditioned 27/7 (to about 72f). I'd keep the desktop at home for easy access to singles.

I'm less worried about temps after reading the article in Cigar Journal (02/2013) 'Humidor corner: store in a cool place?', although might post on this in Humidor Tutorial to get Piggy and others' opinions...

Once upon a time we would sell 100's of desktop humidors a year. These days no more than 50. I am partly to blame as I try and turn every desktop buyer to Thermoelectric fridges with humidification beads. For say$300-$400 domestically, you can have a temp and humidity control unit that looks great and stores 15-20 boxes at home....all for the price of a quality 75 - 100 cigar desktop humidor.

I do use a desktop for dry boxing. Outside of that....not much more. In fact I have about 8 lying around rotfl.gif

I'd persuade folks toward a 15-20 box unit before a 100 cigar desktop if I was a cigar purveyor too sneaky.gif

Still have 3 that I use for various purposes but doubt I'll be buying another anytime soon - unless it came filled with some goodies!

I love my Turntable. A good one (hooked into a decent stereo) will alays sound better than an MP3. Thanks to the hipster craze a lot of new albums are avaliable on Vinyl for close to what they cost on CD.

I guess i feel there is just something old fashioned about putting on a LP, lighting a cigar, pouring a rum and sitting outside with the missus for a game of chess that i really enjoy

I still remember as a child jumping around to my Dad's Joe Cocker LPs and making them skip and blip, I thought it was great fun lookaround.gifhole.gif

Desk humidors were the rage when we all got interested in cigars. Now, most of us use coolidors, fridgedoors, etc. Those of us who bought desktops when we were learning about this passion did so because that was the norm then. You had a desktop, or you had nothing.

Fast forward to today: the younger guys coming into this passion are buying fridgedoors. Why? The fridgedoor is the new humidor. Less expensive, and better than a decent desktop.

There will always be a market for trash desktops, and that space is full of Ebay $75.00 items. The best thing that you can do to provide a current cigar storage unit would be to brand a FOH, high-quality Fridgedoor. Times change, and so do the pocketbooks of the young.

I forgot to mention that I have a small (10) count desktop humi for dry boxing. I now use one of my humidors for private papers. The other one I use to house the current bills that I pay monthly online. Ah, the use of an old technology along with a new one....

The best thing that you can do to provide a current cigar storage unit would be to brand a FOH, high-quality Fridgedoor. Times change, and so do the pocketbooks of the young.

I know of a couple of people who would be interested in a ready made Fridgeador

Funny you should bring it up - after moving to my new place, the last couple of days I made a repair to my first desktop (a 50 ct that had a "leak" in the corner) in order to use it for the few NC's I have. I wouldn't use it for Cubans!

In the meantime my 500 ct larger desktop humidor is used for boxes in longer-term storage and the large number of boxes remaining are stored in a succession of Humi-bags, which will get supplanted by a second humidor soon!

I believe that internet road warriors such as us represent a very small percentage of cigar smokers. I'd assume most cigar smokers who do not have the benefit of being on a cigar board (to learn about fridge/cooler mods) have desktops for storage/convenience/etc.