Are Desktop Humidors Obsolete?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my Turntable. A good one (hooked into a decent stereo) will alays sound better than an MP3. Thanks to the hipster craze a lot of new albums are avaliable on Vinyl for close to what they cost on CD.

I guess i feel there is just something old fashioned about putting on a LP, lighting a cigar, pouring a rum and sitting outside with the missus for a game of chess that i really enjoy

HEAR HEAR!

I use 2 Large Desktops...My wine cellars ironically have ....wine..in them wink2.gif .... but with the collection growing i think ill have to convert soon enough.

I believe that internet road warriors such as us represent a very small percentage of cigar smokers. I'd assume most cigar smokers who do not have the benefit of being on a cigar board (to learn about fridge/cooler mods) have desktops for storage/convenience/etc.

Agreed.

I am partly to blame as I try and turn every desktop buyer to Thermoelectric fridges with humidification beads. For say$300-$400 domestically, you can have a temp and humidity control unit that looks great and stores 15-20 boxes at home

Can you tell more detailed about these units? Preferable with links. In case of any "political" problems - PM me. Thanks.

Can you tell more detailed about these units? Preferable with links. In case of any "political" problems - PM me. Thanks.

You're probably OK with this on open forum gurman. It's the guy that runs the place that started the thread.

He can surely point you in the right direction!

I love my 200ct desktop humi, but I only use it as an ornament really.

It's an absolutely gorgeous piece (wife even loves it), but my house fluctuates too much temp-wise to risk putting quality sticks in it—other than to dry box, that is.

All 'wineador' here I'm afraid.

When I first got into cigars, I wanted to get a humidor since you don't really know about wineadors and coolidors. After a bit of research I decided it didn't make sense to get a desktop and I currently have a big tupperdor for my sticks. After seeing some quality humidors, I do eventually want to get one to store singles and stuff I want to smoke soon, but it will look a bit out of place at my current residence. Maybe in the future when I get a nicer place..

Viability of desktops vs wine colers etc obviously depends upon the size of your collection or anticipated collection. If Rob's clients no longer buy desktops then that shows business is going very well brcause clientele either have a good number of boxes or anticipate acquiring so.

I am the exception to the rule with my desktop in use (reserructed from the dead as I also have a superior cabinet humi) and I won't be upgrading to a cooler as the size and scope of my current inventory c.35 cigars suits my current infrequent smoking habit.

Agree destops make no sense as a long term storage option for the serious amateur or aficionado. But if you have the coin there are some true works of art which would be great pieces of furniture especially in a batchelor pad.

I started out with a small 20ct travel humidor, however our house has no air conditioning so in summer the temps get up to about 35C in the house. So i bought a fridge. The humi is now used for dry boxing and taking to herfs.

For someone like myself who may only smoke once or twice a week, a desktop is perfect. I'd like to buy a few boxes to have and store so that I will have a reserve of smoke to go to while I wait for more to come in, but I usually just buy a bunch of sticks, smoke them over a period of time and then when I start to get low I buy some more. That being said I'm actually in the market for a bigger desktop. I haven't pulled the trigger as I have a big hunting trip to pay for next month and the wife would kill me. I currently have a 25-50ct desktop and would like to get a 100- 175ct to have on my bar. Unfortunately I cannot afford to have boxes upon boxes stored, while I live comfortably I am a middle class man with a family. So I usually only a little money is used for things like cigars. So a decent size desktop like a 100-175 ct would more than meet my needs as when I do buy a box or two I can take them out and store them in that humi with my others.

Lol, that's where my desktop sits too. Very handy to hold the past few sticks from a box which frees up space for the next full box!

Exactlyinnocent.gif

I believe that internet road warriors such as us represent a very small percentage of cigar smokers. I'd assume most cigar smokers who do not have the benefit of being on a cigar board (to learn about fridge/cooler mods) have desktops for storage/convenience/etc.

Maybe this is not the right place to make conclusions. Most of us are heavy smokers who are not satisfied having just few dozens cigars. So, of course, desktop humidors will not fit.

Maybe to the average smoker it works fine.

Thats right. Online forum members, tend to have larger coolers or cabinets, although I know many who use desktops. We are not the only cigar smokers on the planet...

Agreed very much with this. While I think it's safe to say that a healthy chunk of cigar smokers are on internet chat rooms or cigar forums of one kind or another, and that we all mostly agree for coolerdors and/or cabinets, there are definitely a huge lot out there that a desktop is their preferred option.

I still use my 75 count desktop. Full to the brim! I have a 16litre tuppa full up too. Got three boxes awaiting storage, they are wrapped up in my cupboard at the mo with a boveda pouch in each... should have extra storage by the weekend for them :)

If I had my way, I would do away with the 75 count. I dry box in an empty cigar box I have so there is no need for such a big desktop taking up space... saying that I am a true hoarder!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2