Are Desktop Humidors Obsolete?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed very much with this. While I think it's safe to say that a healthy chunk of cigar smokers are on internet chat rooms or cigar forums of one kind or another, and that we all mostly agree for coolerdors and/or cabinets, there are definitely a huge lot out there that a desktop is their preferred option.

Agreed. Actually many cigar lovers who don't buy full boxes (not only for economical reasons) love their desktop(s). A nice one at home, a smaller one at work and /or in the countryside house, etc.

There is a french forum where the longest thread is the "show your humidor" thread. You can see the entire Adorini catalog lol2.gif

My wife bought me a beautiful 50 ct desktop for Christmas a few years ago - it lives inside my cabinet humi but holds all of my rarer / prized singles and regionals etc. I also have a 200ct cheaper one with a glass lid for NCs.

For say$300-$400 domestically, you can have a temp and humidity control unit that looks great and stores 15-20 boxes at home....all for the price of a quality 75 - 100 cigar desktop humidor.

Brilliant!

Steer them away from one time desktop, to fifteen - twenty boxes which will need to be replenished.

That's sound pirating marketing clap.gif

They are definitely not obsolete. An enormous number of cigar smokers don't even own a humidor. They simply go to the local tobacconist and pick up a few sticks for that evening or weekend. I would guess this is the majority of cigar smokers. I've talked with countless individuals at football tailgates who are smoking cigars. Most of them don't own humidors and the majority are shocked that you can order actual CC's from the internet. For them, purchasing a humidor is a big decision. If I told them to build a coolidor to store their boxes they would look at me like I was from Mars. It's the same thinking when it comes to wine. Millions of people buy wine for that evening or weekend. Buying a wine fridge only applies to a very small minority.

I had Bob Staebell make me an end table humidor just for storing single cigars so I could avoid buying a desktop that holds less than 1/3 of the cigars for the same price.

The desktop companies are putting out inferior products and charging an arm and a leg for them. They need to get realistic about what their products are worth on the market relative to what else is available.

I think desktops are the ideal solution for someone who is starting out in the cigar world who is not making box purchases. I had a 25ct to startoff then a 100 ct now I have two 48qt coolers at home...I still use my 25ct desktop and keep it in my office for the lunch smoke when its nice outside or if i have a break in between clients/meetings.

They are not obselete, they still have their place, but if i were a vendor I would not keep too many in stock.

My wife has confiscated both desktops and uses them as jewelry boxes.

I bought a used 250 bottle vinotemp and removed the racks inside. It came wood lined and was designed to stay humid like a wine cellar. Very easy to run electronic humidification. Nice that a led light will come on when the door is opened.

Not everyone moves on from a desktop to cabinets so yes they still have their place. It's a convenient place to keep spare cigars as a secondary storage unit but usually only for those who are serious in this particular case.

I can't tell clearly from my monitor but is that M shaped humidor have space under the v shaped area?

Man I haven't posted here in Donkeys.

My wife snatched up my glasstop humi (I wasn't using it and she did ask first) for a nice jewellery box.

I have a fridge which has a Humi in it for the special cigars, and boxes and containers in the rest of the space.

I have thought about putting all my loose cigars in the desktop and putting that in my study, but I think I would sit there and do more smoking than study.

In all, I haven't used a desk top in a few years, though they do look really nice.

Wow, I didn't realize how many people are using wine fridges. That's great!

I think desktops are becoming obsolete for the cost conscious aficionado. I started off with one, then two but then realized I was going to need something much bigger as I started to buy boxes and not singles and samplers. I went the way of coolerdor and haven't looked back. It may not be as pretty as a desktop but I can fit about 25 boxes into one of my coolers that I paid $45 for and maybe $15 worth of beads in it. You can't compete against that kinda bargain. I'm in it for the cigars, not the display.

I have a couple of desktops and even spent a good amount of $$ on a beautiful ornate Elie Bleu desktop. It is a work of art. Desktops are a great place to start. However, once you move on to a coolidor or large cabinet you never look back. If your budget allows you start buying boxes instead of singles, your stock grows, you start aging cigars and once again you are in the need of more humidor space. It is the evolution of a passionate cigar smoker.