Are Desktop Humidors Obsolete?

I don't agree the desktops are obsolete.

I've got 2 wine coolers (1 medium and 1 small) and a few desktops. Usually, I use the coolers for aging and I transfer the cigars into the desktops a few weeks or maybe even months before smoking them. They seem to taste better that way...or maybe it's just in my head wink2.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too have a cooler for longer storage and its about 65% in there. I also have a desktop that i keep 1 or 2 of each type of cigar in, Its about 60% in there. This keeps me from opening the cooler all the time just to get a smoke(s) out for the day. I really don't plan ahead and just smoke what I feel like at the time. I only plan for the special occasions like my birthday coming up, which I think its going to be a Monte 520...

I have a 120ish box cabinet, several coolers and two beautiful Daniel Marshall desktops (one custom made for 600 cigars). All of my storage devices are kept right around 65% RH (no dry boxing in the desktops for me). The coolers are for long-term storage. The cabinet holds boxes that I am smoking from. And the desktops hold singles and cigars that I am getting ready to smoke.

About once a month I survey my boxes in the cabinet and pick out cigars to place in the desktop that I plan to smoke. I'm not sure why, but I feel that I prefer cigars after they sit in the desktop for at least three months to those that come right out of the box in my cabinet. It seems that others agree with this. They are more consistent, more well aged and smoother. It smells like a barnyard in my big desktop and I'm guessing that the reason I prefer cigars that sit in the desktop is that they are affected by all of the gasses mixing up in there to create a delicious fusion of aged Cuban tobacco goodness.

Plus, I think there is something just nice about having desktops. They are old school and I'm old school so they fit my personality. Honestly, I'm thinking about commissioning another Daniel Marshall that will hold about 1,000 cigars just for shits and giggles. I could probably put that money towards another snazzy cabinet and ditch a few coolers. But I would rather have the desktops. They are beautiful works of art and conversation starters. Desktops are much more approachable for the novice than a big cabinet or cooler. So they are a great way to get a conversation going about cigars with the uninitiated.

Being a relative newbie I have now got to the stage I am buying boxes. Can I get some tips on setting up a fridge so Pres can make some more money off me :)

I don't wanna to invest 100's on 300-600 count humis if it is as easier as everyone says to use a wine fridge.

Funnily enough, I'm actually thinking about getting a new desktop humidor (perhaps a Siglo or similar).

I currently keep my boxes in a thermoelectric wine fridge with heartfelt beads. But after struggling to maintain stable humidity last summer I am considering setting up a coolerdor instead and keeping it at my office which is air conditioned 27/7 (to about 72f). I'd keep the desktop at home for easy access to singles.

I'm less worried about temps after reading the article in Cigar Journal (02/2013) 'Humidor corner: store in a cool place?', although might post on this in Humidor Tutorial to get Piggy and others' opinions...

I would like to read this.

I have found that most cigar smokers make no distinction between dry space, tobacco and other hygroscopic materials like tobacco. They treat tobacco as it is, and acts exactly as empty space, or space with water vapor.

Temperature is very important if you are attempting to affect percentage moisture content and keep it consistent. rH is just one component to achieving equilibrium moisture content of tobacco. The rate of adsorption/desorption as well as the affinity of a material to bond to water vapor has everything to do with temperature.

Cheers!

Oh and desktop humidors... They are fine if you have a room that is constantly 70 dF and 60 rH!!!

-Piggy

I would like to read this.

I have found that most cigar smokers make no distinction between dry space, tobacco and other hygroscopic materials like tobacco. They treat tobacco as it is, and acts exactly as empty space, or space with water vapor.

Temperature is very important if you are attempting to affect percentage moisture content and keep it consistent. rH is just one component to achieving equilibrium moisture content of tobacco. The rate of adsorption/desorption as well as the affinity of a material to bond to water vapor has everything to do with temperature.

Cheers!

Oh and desktop humidors... They are fine if you have a room that is constantly 70 dF and 60 rH!!!

-Piggy

Will scan it tonight and email you a copy.

Cheers,

Wil