Japanese Whiskeys

Hiroshiro

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been soooo busy traveling for work but sometimes the stars align .... just returned from Japan and was able to pick up a few items only available there (or at least very hard to find outside): - ****

Tried the ***** Coffee Grain this summer and wow!!!

An interesting article that may be a good guide for some; BANZAI: THE 9 BEST JAPANESE WHISKIES TO DRINK Traditionally, the realm of fine whiskey was divided into four nations with well-defined rol

I'm seeing something called Hibiki Harmony pop up...really strange. Does this mean the 12 yo has been discontinued?

Yup - replaced with the NAS Harmony. Check the KL Wines Spirits blog for a bit more detail.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bottle of ***** whisky, it was very very good. I haven't revisited Japanize whisky since, not because I didn't like it, rather I haven't found it regularly available at my normal shops.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, seriously Hibiki have brought out a new NAS whiskey product called Harmony (I think) and it seems to me that Hibiki's aged bottles have been taken off the shelf.

john, guys, no idea if it is a replacement but by chance, i was drinking it yesterday at 'old cuban' in singapore - and has any place on the planet got a more jaw-dropping astonishing collection of malts?

i loved it.

http://www.drinkmemag.com/sipping-in-harmony-hibiki-japanese-harmony-whisky/?utm_source=Drink+Me+Magazine+Newsletter&utm_campaign=32c4ce852c-DrinkMe_Newsletter_August_26th_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8b636854cb-32c4ce852c-140005513&ct=t(Drink_Me_Newsletter_No8_Wednesday_August_26th)&mc_cid=32c4ce852c&mc_eid=1d67c092cf

john, guys, no idea if it is a replacement but by chance, i was drinking it yesterday at 'old cuban' in singapore - and has any place on the planet got a more jaw-dropping astonishing collection of malts?

i loved it.

http://www.drinkmemag.com/sipping-in-harmony-hibiki-japanese-harmony-whisky/?utm_source=Drink+Me+Magazine+Newsletter&utm_campaign=32c4ce852c-DrinkMe_Newsletter_August_26th_2015&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8b636854cb-32c4ce852c-140005513&ct=t(Drink_Me_Newsletter_No8_Wednesday_August_26th)&mc_cid=32c4ce852c&mc_eid=1d67c092cf

Hey Ken, I haven't sampled Harmony yet, but if you have and you approve...then, I would certainly cede to your opinion. I think Hibiki, like other Whiskey manufactureres around the world, have had a run on their aged stock in recent times, especially from the Chinese market, and No Age Statement (NAS) releases are taking their place as a result.

The 'Old Cuban' sounds like my kind of place in Singapore!

• 1 month later...

Funny how Costco had palettes of the Hibiki 12 only like 1-2 months ago. Just thankful I still have 2 bottles.

I thought the whole reason Suntory bought Beam Co. was to try to make inroads into the Whiskey market in the US. I know they have supply issues, but it seems odd that they haven't getting their product out to the market even with the inflated prices. Funny thing is that I have heard Blanton's Bourbon has gone the other way. Japanese youth liked the odd shaped bottles of Blanton's and have made it a cult following over there. I would love to get my hands on and try to get some ***** from the Barrel from all the post about it on this site. The price doesn't seem too bad on that one.

BTW - The Costco by me still had some Hibiki but it was the Harmony. Those are the only ones I have seen at a Costco. I have seen the 12 at Binny's.

• Like 1

Just opened my bottle of ***** Pure Malt Black that I picked up at Frankfurt Duty Free last week. Underwhelming, compared to the From The Barrel. It is very smooth but doesn't have much character. I want to try the White since it is supposed to be a bit peaty.

• Like 2

Just opened my bottle of ***** Pure Malt Black that I picked up at Frankfurt Duty Free last week. Underwhelming, compared to the From The Barrel. It is very smooth but doesn't have much character. I want to try the White since it is supposed to be a bit peaty.

The Pure Malt White is earmarked to be discontinued, I hear - better be quick ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Although late to this thread, I've just splurged for a Hibiki 21 through a buddy who was traveling in Tokyo. Am anxious to try since there's been so many great things said about it.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just picked up a bottle of the Harmony for $60.00 US today. I can pick up a few more Bottles but was looking to hear opinions / reviews / comments before picking up more.

I am no scotch guru, savant, nor do I have the depth of drinking experience of say, more well-established members of the club, shall we say.

I do not like any of the Japanese whiskeys other than the Yamazaki 18, which tastes like a very young Glenfarclas, and the ***** Coffee Grain, which I think is fantastic.

I am no scotch guru, savant, nor do I have the depth of drinking experience of say, more well-established members of the club, shall we say.

I do not like any of the Japanese whiskeys other than the Yamazaki 18, which tastes like a very young Glenfarclas, and the ***** Coffee Grain, which I think is fantastic.

Likewise, I consider other FoH members more knowledgeable on whisky (or whiskey) than myself. Yamazaki 18 and ***** Coffee Grain are two whiskies I'd love to sample at some point. Hard to source in my part of the world, especially the Yamazaki 18 (which is hard to find anywhere, I'd say!).

• 3 months later...

How is Hibiki 21? Just got a bottle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found it to be an awesome drink, and wish my bottle even had a drop left in it. I think I've even sniffed out the last remaining smell
  • Like 1

How good is it just to find an aged Hibiki bottle in stock right now? A friend of mine shared an e-mail yesterday informing him that the Hibiki 17 was in stock for $AU400. That's a tad higher than the $AU159 it was going for when they were in stock a year ago.

• 1 month later...

I've really gotten into bourbon and rum over the past few years but wanted to try something different, so I just picked up a bottle of Hibiki Harmony to try out.