Japanese Whiskeys

Hiroshiro

On October 5, 2015 at 6:51 PM, brschoppe said:

I thought the whole reason Suntory bought Beam Co. was to try to make inroads into the Whiskey market in the US. I know they have supply issues, but it seems odd that they haven't getting their product out to the market even with the inflated prices. Funny thing is that I have heard Blanton's Bourbon has gone the other way. Japanese youth liked the odd shaped bottles of Blanton's and have made it a cult following over there. I would love to get my hands on and try to get some ***** from the Barrel from all the post about it on this site. The price doesn't seem too bad on that one.

BTW - The Costco by me still had some Hibiki but it was the Harmony. Those are the only ones I have seen at a Costco. I have seen the 12 at Binny's.

My understanding about Suntory's purchase of Beam was primarily driven by massive sales is scotch and Japanese whisky.  

And what does scotch and Japanese whisky age their spirits in???  Ex-bourbon barrels.  Smart way to secure their supply of barrels and as such ensure they don't have to find a substitute.  

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Been soooo busy traveling for work but sometimes the stars align .... just returned from Japan and was able to pick up a few items only available there (or at least very hard to find outside): - ****

Tried the ***** Coffee Grain this summer and wow!!!

An interesting article that may be a good guide for some; BANZAI: THE 9 BEST JAPANESE WHISKIES TO DRINK Traditionally, the realm of fine whiskey was divided into four nations with well-defined rol

On 03/10/2016 at 10:11 PM, Onelove said:

Anyone in oz seen the new price of Yamazaki 12? Ouch! You could get a Nikka from the barrel and a glenfarclas 25 for the same.

Wow...best of luck to you to even source a bottle! I've found them impossible to find in Sydney.

On 9 October 2016 at 10:13 AM, JohnS said:

Wow...best of luck to you to even source a bottle! I've found them impossible to find in Sydney.

I pm'd you a source yesterday. They don't have an unlimited stock though time is of the essence.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Upmann2009 said:

$260aud for a bottle. Think there is a better one for that price. Got one for $110 few years back ... Very unique taste compare to scotches. 

For the japanese pricing now, i will steer clear ?

I agree, they are greatly inflated across the board currently. The only exception, for me, is N I K K A from the barrel, which is starting to get competitive prices as it's more widely available (in Australia).

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I agree, they are greatly inflated across the board currently. The only exception, for me, is N I K K A from the barrel, which is starting to get competitive prices as it's more widely available (in Australia).

I'm hoping they bring that one to the US. We just got the Coffey Malt which is tasty and IMHO more enjoyable than the Coffey Grain. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Couldn't agree more on this, if you are like it so much, i sugest you should stock them up before the price hike. Most age statement Scotches are slowly moving upward. My 2c

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
Couldn't agree more on this, if you are like it so much, i sugest you should stock them up before the price hike. Most age statement Scotches are slowly moving upward. My 2c

Regrettably, this is very true - demand now far outstrips supply.

It will be a few decades before this normalises, if ever. Even the independent bottlings are becoming pricey and scarce.

As things are trending - we'll soon be drinking new distillate flavoured with caramel and oak, and calling that whisky...
  • Like 2

Look like Laphroaig 18 years old are discontinuing kicked in, DanMurphy stock depleting and Nicks wines jacked up the price to $240AUD now. I guess time to stock up if you find some DM still available at $180.

its my guess

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Upmann2009 said:

Look like Laphroaig 18 years old are discontinuing kicked in, DanMurphy stock depleting and Nicks wines jacked up the price to $240AUD now. I guess time to stock up if you find some DM still available at $180.

its my guess

Definitely. I've just had a quick look this morning around retailers on-line. I got mine earlier this year at the $180 price when the discontinuation was announced, but I've resolved myself to stay away from my independent local retailer as he has a penchant for getting in these type of bottles and invariably every time I go in there to check something out I leave with an unplanned purchase! :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

f0f928a5c7471c26efe55514c44b600b.jpg

I was just in a store that had these Japanese whiskies on the shelf.
I have tried the Toki, ***** Coffey Grain, & Hibiki Harmony.
Any comments on the other selections?

• Like 1

Hot damn for that price and selection the Hibiki and Komagatake would be a no brainer.  Very nice selection indeed.  I don't care much for the Harmony.  Pretty bland and overprice to me.  The Toki could be interesting but haven't tried it.

On March 12, 2017 at 10:30 PM, gusto616 said:

f0f928a5c7471c26efe55514c44b600b.jpg

I was just in a store that had these Japanese whiskies on the shelf.
I have tried the Toki, ***** Coffey Grain, & Hibiki Harmony.
Any comments on the other selections?

The Iwai Tradition and Akashi are both fine but in my opinion really over priced for the quality you are getting. The Iwai is probably better than the Toki but not better enough to justify the price premium. I'd rather have the Nikka Coffey Grain from that group. That one to me is worth the premium. Is that a Pure Malt on the far right? That's another one that I'm quite fond of. The Miyagikyo in the background is also quite good. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I shared out some Yamazaki Single Malt Distiller's Reserve and Hibiki 12 for some fellow aficionados unfamiliar with Japanese whiskey this weekend. There were some complimentary and glowing reviews soon afterwards!

• Like 1

On 4/1/2017 at 9:17 AM, gusto616 said:

Another store I happened upon while traveling cd1313806c69be281b065f0e58294a94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hakushu 12 is probably the best deal out of the group here!!  Can't believe they charge that much for Iwai and Akashi!!  Hakishu 12 costs about the same in Japan at this moment!  Iwai tradition is more like $23, Akashi white is $12, Akashi black is $30 in Japan!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JohnS said:

I shared out some Yamazaki Single Malt Distiller's Reserve and Hibiki 12 for some fellow aficionados unfamiliar with Japanese whiskey this weekend. There were some complimentary and glowing reviews soon afterwards!

I would love to hear you guys review on those two very good whiskies!!  Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve is one of my go to drink when I need a break from the pricey Yamazaki 12!!

• Like 1

The Yamazaki Distiller's Reserve was highly rated but it was the Hibiki 12 Blended Whiskey which surprised them, and was even more appreciated. As aficionados tend to favour Single Malt Whiskies I simply never told them about the Hibiki. I thought it was best to leave it for themselves to find out!

• Like 2