Sweetest Rum

Webbo

• 10 months later...

I try to stay away from a lot of the sweet rums. Many of the producers add sugar after it is distilled to sweeten it up. Many Americans love sweet rum and buy more of it so many producers are more than happy to oblige. If I am drinking rum on the rocks or neat I prefer the taste or rum not sugar.

Unlike cigars, I think many of the non-cuban rums are better than cuban rums

Used to love the Pyrat XO when it was made in Anguilla before Patron bought the brand out.

Sipping a Guatemalan Botran Reserva just now and it's pretty good. Touch of sweet with just a little bite on the back end. Price is right too.

Zaya and Zacapa are top rated. Try Zafra though, it's also a very nice rum.

• 2 weeks later...

Had my first taste of Ron Zacapa 23 last weekend. Now I'm hooked on rum...gotta have some more! Unfortunately the state I live in bites when it comes to stocking the good stuff. On the hunt for Zaya, Diplomatico GR, more Zacapa 23!

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoy the Zacapa 23, Santiago 12 and a few others.

The Vizcaya 21 is something worth trying; I'd say it's as flavourful and smooth as the others in its category but the taste is a bit more complex and the bouquet might be a tad nicer. Definitely one that shouldn't be overlooked

My local store has had Zaya on sale for $26.99 usd. I Stocked up! It's my go to!

• Like 1

My local store has had Zaya on sale for $26.99 usd. I Stocked up! It's my go to!

Wow that's a great price on that. I can remember paying that years ago.

And I think that many Cuban rums are much better than many other not Cubans who enjoy a lot of Fame and recognition, especially in the North American market, which let's be honest, is that less known qualities of what comes out of Cuba. If the US consumer, have access to the best Cuban reserves, would realize that there is a very large world to discover in the island for anyone who loves the rum, but we all know that by now, that is not possible.

I try to stay away from a lot of the sweet rums. Many of the producers add sugar after it is distilled to sweeten it up. Many Americans love sweet rum and buy more of it so many producers are more than happy to oblige. If I am drinking rum on the rocks or neat I prefer the taste or rum not sugar.

Unlike cigars, I think many of the non-cuban rums are better than cuban rums

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Zacapa 23 is kind of the go to sweet rum. It appeals to a lot of people. The current Zaya is good but leans more towards Captain Morgan Private Stock. Ever since it was bought out by Angostura it has taken on a more sweet vanilla influence. That was around 2008. The old Zaya was made in Guatemala like the current Zacapa and was a completely different profile (more depth of flavor imho). The Bacardi 8 has a sweetness to it that reminds me of fruit (mainly bananas) and goes well with cigars. There seems to be plenty of supply even though Bacardi sold off their Bahamas distillery several years back. Just my 2 cents.