Other forums - why bother anymore?!?!?!

So here's what I put forth for discussion....

1. If you were a member here first, and then joined other forums, what are your thoughts and impressions?
    I started out on a few U.S. forums about 10 years ago and times were different back then. It was a smaller, fresher, world. I think much of this could be attributed to the early days of active, accessible online cigar communities.
    Secrecy, discretion, and sourcing were more tightly held because it was just harder for Americans to find Habanos. Relationships were longer to build and feels more "genuine" in retrospect. But that could be due to the sheer volume and ease of connecting today.
  2. If you came here after being on another forum, do you even bother with that other one anymore? What's the appeal to remain?
    I don't post or frequent any of those first boards any more. There just isn't much of interest going on...or anything in general. A few years ago, Habanos action started to get pushed underground and then things got weird.
  3. How can we fix it, as a community?
    Fix here? It's all here in black and white, clear as crystal. You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks! You bumped into the ceiling, which now has to be washed and sterilized...ahem, excuse the Wonka rant digression.
    But seriously, it's all there and it's been there since day 1. We just have to 1) live it and 2) help our forum mates live it. You can only aspire to that which you accept as your own.
  4. And lastly, should the actions of members from here, when they're on other forums, affect their standing here on FOH?
    See above. My take is this: If you're new: clean slate. If you have been brought to our attention as a someone whose actions run counter to one or more of the bullets in the above link, we will watch you but we'll give you a chance to establish yourself. And we'd hope that your fellows would do the same.
    But let's be clear on Rob's point: no one is entitled to a place here. It is not an open democracy. You don't get to be here simply by virtue of the fact that you want to be here.

And I'll make one final point. FOH is truly unique. Unlike any other forum out there, Friends of Habanos is an extension of the man. This is his place. His heart is here. His mates are here. His business is here. This is a piece of his world. Because of this unity of vision and purpose, Moderators and Members have a chance to make it a piece of ours if we want to and if we try.

This is why unlike any other board out there, this is not just a cigar forum. And if you can see that and vibe to it, it just might be for you.

Wilkey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One eyed FOH man. All our characters make this like my local pub, everyone one has there stool at the bar and we know where to sit. The wise legends corner look over the place .The locals play pool and talk BS. The drinkers do what they do. The stirers keep the atmosphere and the tourists enter with respect. Every now and the the publican has come out from behind the jump to sort things out.

Member here and on a local Aus cigar forum. Never been a member else where. On the two forums i am a member of, people are very tame. I find the other Australian cigar forum is tamer than this place, but that has fewer active members. Overall the people here are nice and friendly and get along so that's why i stay.

I'm only on one other forum but since I've joined this one I've been spending much more time on here.

FOH really is a step above all other forums and I'm really happy I joined.

The discussions are a lot more professional it seems without people bashing each other. Just a more welcoming overall place and I appreciate the opportunity to be here

The first forum for me was CA. I met some amazing folks theRe and still participate once in a while. I have noticed that the legends are mostly gone, the postings are getting less frequent and the negativity has increased.

Then I encountered this fine site and have been delighted with the good natured exchange of information, opinions and jokes.

There is a difference between the sites. CA is 'sponsored' by M.Shanken Media and the owner is occasionally pictured with such luminaries as Rudiolph Giulliani and Rush Limbaugh. I don't recall seeing any postings by Mr. Shanken but will see some from the editors from time to time. M. Shanken Media is Big Business with a reliance on advertising for revenue.

FOH seems more like a family enterprise and Rob's participation is direct, fun and honest. The people that show up with Rob in photos do not appear to be politicians (HA!) or radio 'personalities' . Rather, they are the very folks who join in the discussions here and want to be a part of the scene.

Anyways, these are my thoughts on a rainy morning in Minnesota with a cat nipping at my leg, wanting to play 'fetch' or light up a cigar (who knows, she is a cat). I like it here. Keep up the good work Rob, Diana, Lisa, Alastair, Ken (and Smithy... wherever you are).

If this is at all directed at me, I'm good with that.

Cheers.

Just to be clear, I'm expressing my remorse at my actions and negative contributions to a public forum. My comments were not directed at you personally. How/whether you reflect on this issue is your own personal matter.

Just to be clear, I'm expressing my remorse at my actions and negative contributions to a public forum. My comments were not directed at you personally. How/whether you reflect on this issue is your own personal matter.

Well said sir, well said. Most worthy.

Wilkey

I am a member here and an avtive contributor to this forum only. I do lurk on some other forum but rarley ever post.

This is and always will be home for me in terms of my preferred cigar community. I love the dynamic of the forum itself and Robs stewardship has been great. I think the mods also do a great job.

On a side note i must admit i have not been about that much latley. I have a lot of stuff going on like a career change and buying my first home. But i check in every day. I Cant wait till the end of the year when things settle down a bit and i can back to more regular posts and most inportantly smoking more cigars!

The nice thing about cigar forums and other internet forums in general is they are like television stations and radio stations. If you don't like what you see or hear you have the freedom to not participate and the freedom to engage wherever you want to. CA is a very large forum with many changing participants with very little or no moderation. It is what it is. Accept it or not. Our forum here is less chaotic, with a set of forum rules that the majority of members respect and abide by. A flip side of the coin compared to CA. I actively participate in both.

Only ever been a member here,

"Home is where the Heart is "

Plus I haven't got the time to be bothered to go elsewhere ,once you get to the top of Everest yo cannot go any higher

Interesting post Keith thanks for posting

Cheers all

I found you guys after puff. I like the FOH Reviews so decided to join the forums. Thankfully here I can speak to fellow CC smokers in ENGLISH. Everyone here is super chill and am thankful and lucky to find FOH

Fortunate enough to live in Brisbang! As such, I learned about this forum after frequenting "the deck" a couple times. So after a few questions and answers, I actually cancelled my Facebook account and this is the only forum I have ever been on! It's great to be surrounded by people with the same interests and appreciations. I have learned so much and love the community vibe!

I have witnessed a few crew being a little rough on newcomers, especially in the Live from the Warheouse sales etc. But I write it off as the old 'school yard politics,' as you have to earn your keep. And on the flip side, I have seen lots of crew be super helpful with all sorts of answers and advice.

Goodtimes!

i think we have taken out most of the trash albeit there are a couple of bins that are close to being picked up.

It doesn't bother me. i would rather toss a wanker out these days early than provide too many chances.

if you don't read other forums it is difficult to know the character of a new individual. It doesn't take long to find out.

Again it is always 5-6 individuals who provide 99% of issues. Note however those 5-6 are different today than the 5-6 difficult individuals earlier in the year. Most of the trash was taken out and others have complied to the culture.

FOH should evolve but not change it's core essence. We are all custodians of the culture. We can't go back to 2008. You need to look forward to 2015 and see what you want.....and then execute it. biggrin.png

This is the point I think - culture. That is what is different about FoH, one immediately gets the feeling of friendship, camaraderie and not being too full of ones self. To be honest it took me a while to catch on but so bloody glad I did as the forum always picks me up!

I have never been to another cigar forum and really don't feel a need to. Rob has told me about some of the things that go on with members getting so upset that they actually get litigious. Why would you bother with that.

I know I'm not much of a contributor here but I consider many of you to be friends that I haven't met yet. Many of the comments in this thread are correct. This place is a reflection of the man who started it and the way he conducts himself with everyone he meets.

His rules about no tossers or wankers are not just hollow words. On the deck you will rub shoulders with the rich and famous and I have done so but are you made aware of it? No because with this place it is not the size of your wallet or the size of your profile that matters, it is the size of your heart and how you treat your fellow man or woman. We are all equal here and that is a special thing.

This is the only forum i am member of, it deals with all issues that would be of interest to a cuban cigar lover,some times i look at one other forum which i find shallow and tries to repeat some of the topics on this forum.

On CBC News, there's a story about Popular Science magazine getting rid of the comments from their online content due to members acting like wankers. Regarding online comments on media stories, as well as many forums and blogs right now, one person put the following comment, which I find is relevant here (and quite funny yet true if you think about it):

"There's a theorum floating around there (seriously, Google it!) - with the acronym of GIFT - Greater Internet F**kwad Theory.

It is a postulate which asserts that normal, well-adjusted people may display psychopathic or antisocial behaviors that are never exhibited in their normal lives - unless when given both anonymity and a captive audience on the Internet.

Basically - unmonitored online comment boards tend to bring out this characteristic in posters...where the combination of a fake name, absolutely no accountability and a world-wide audience allows them to spew out any amount of racist, hateful, stupid garbage that they'd NEVER dream of saying out loud in a face-to-face conversation..."

Funny stuff.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/greater-internet-****wad-theory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect

In listing off some of those other-mentioned forums, I don't mean to belittle or disparage them.

Keith, didn't consider taking it as such. I guess for me personally, I wouldn't mention any other forums by name (again, that's simply my way of looking at things).

I've always been of the belief that it is incumbent upon new members to take the time to look around, get a feel, and decide whether or not FOH is for them - don't care for it? No harm, no foul.

I also feel it's how we look at FOH, or perhaps forums in general. Is it a cyber place to simply post "stuff", or is it a group of people "speaking" with one another.

I can't imagine walking into a lounge where a group of people I didn't know were having a discussion and simply jumping into the middle .....

Well, I'd just like to say thanks to everyone here for creating such a great community, starting with Rob. I only have so much time to spare, and I don't bother much with other forums (except on other topics where I need help too... like straight razors, brewing, etc).

I think it was the video review series that caught my attention here, along with some great posts and reviews by members.

I'm gonna miss Smithy's mild sarcasm on the video reviews, but other than that I like that the tone is civil and folks are both knowledgeable and helpful. If that were not the case, why would people come back?