Week-Ends don't get much better than this ...

A perfect Portmann Week-End

We, Frank and I, were surprised to learn that it was not going to be the small, uncomplicated affair we expected, but a "Portmann Havana Group Reunion" dinner at a Michelin rated restaurant in St Gallen / Switzerland.

Oh well, worse things can happen in life ...

Like the traffic jam we saw on our way down, stretching basically for three-quarters of the way but fortunately on the opposite direction.

We arrived on time for a glass of champagne and a Robusto at Portmann Cigars in Kreuzlingen, then just a quick pick up of the hotel key, no changing, and off to St Gallen and the highly rated "Segreto" - a one star Michelin restaurant belonging to the Abacus software group.

For more text and pictures :

http://flyingcigar.d...rtmann-weekend/

post-4742-0-91366700-1380635593_thumb.jp

That smoking lounge looks awesome !!!! Wish there was a place like that in Perth. Although i don't think i'd have the classy clothes to be able to get entry into those establishments :)

That smoking lounge looks awesome !!!! Wish there was a place like that in Perth. Although i don't think i'd have the classy clothes to be able to get entry into those establishments smile.png

It's not as stuffy anymore as it used to be.

Great pics Nino,thanks for sharing.

Looks great, we are relegated to smoking on rooftops. Not complaining, our herfs at the bars are great, but there's a whole new level of awesomeness when you smoke inside on a leather couch :) Keep it up boys.

That smoking lounge looks awesome !!!! Wish there was a place like that in Perth. Although i don't think i'd have the classy clothes to be able to get entry into those establishments smile.png

As Hans commented : It's not as stuffy or classy dress anymore ...

Otherwise we wouldn't have been there - look at our dress code pig.gifinnocent.gif

Nino lives a cursed life.

What I would give for that curse!!!!

hi nino, looks fantastic.

all i've got to look forward to is heading across to margaret river (for once, a winery with the decency to put one pointy end) to an international pinot event, a series of great dinners and hopefully i'll sneak in a cigar or two.

i'll just have to slum it!

all i've got to look forward to is heading across to margaret river (for once, a winery with the decency to put one pointy end) to an international pinot event, a series of great dinners and hopefully i'll sneak in a cigar or two.

I see you'll be a 'Guest Speaker'.. As a fellow queenslander that has made a home in WA, that Margret River area is not too bad, particularly if you're drinking Marchand & Burch.

I see you'll be a 'Guest Speaker'.. As a fellow queenslander that has made a home in WA, that Margret River area is not too bad, particularly if you're drinking Marchand & Burch.

i am. god help everyone. actually just putting stuff together now.

have not done this one before so looking forward to it. marchand and burch and quite a few others, i gather.

are you attending?

Guess you'll survive, Ken, can't be that bad, but be prepared - here's an anecdote from our dinner : after the dessert one of our friends, overwhelmed by the large plates and small portions commented : I'm hungry, let's go get a Kebab somewhere :-)

Glad you liked my post - how about the wines we had ?

The Champagne was great, a 1999 Taittinger from the magnum.

The Sonoma Chardonnay was fantastic and I don't really like Chardonnay but this was out of this world. And from a Magnum, which is even rarer.

Must be, as when I checked their website it says : "Ordering by invitation only ... or join our waiting list" ... LOL

Aubert Lauren Sonoma Chardonnay :

http://www.cellartra...p?iWine=1073336

http://www.aubertwin...580914A44B1F6B2

The red - Clos d'Agon from Priorat, 96-98 Parker was a powerhouse, had another bottle two days later at dinner with my wife and she said she couldn't drink such wines except once in a while, which is a blessing for the wallet :

https://winelibrary....os-d-agon-tinto

And the Port, a 1977 Fonseca :

http://www.wine.com/...175/detail.aspx

Nino