Hypothetical (beer fueled) Question for Our Aussie Members

During a rather large beer drinking session the other night a friend asked me a hyppthetical question I found rather interesting.

With the tax on Tobacco about to go up 12.5% and the ever increasing measures against smokers of all kinds one could argue that there could come a time in this country where all forms of tobacco and smoking is illegal.

I'm aware that it prob wont happen, and the all mighty **** storm it would create if it did, but still...

What would you do if it was illegal to purchase or import cigars (or any tobacco) in Australia?

Would you just slow down and smoke less cigars until the humi was empty and then admit defeat and move on?

Would you run the gauntlet and order your cigars anyway and hope that they dont get picked up (like the US do with Cubans)?

Would you seriously consider leaving Aus for a more cigar friendly country?

Would you buy a holiday house in Bali and stock it with all the cigars you could, and then head over there every couple of months for a smoke?

Personally, I'd seriously look at moving out of Aus.

What are your thoughts?

*before anyone says it, I know it prob wont happen in our life time, I'm simply asking what if it did*

I'd whinge about it like an old bastard, probably stock up and going on living life.

Don't have the additional funds to finance a second home overseas so i guess if a certain pirate was to setup a supply channel and work out some 'nothin dodgie' arrangement.

You Aussies need the equivalent of the CRA here in the US. Cigar rights of America. Some sort of organized group to represent cigar lovers and defend their liberties. A voice of some kind to tell your government that you are all legal adults who should have the right to purchase and possess a legal product.

I'd whinge about it like an old bastard, probably stock up and going on living life.

Don't have the additional funds to finance a second home overseas so i guess if a certain pirate was to setup a supply channel and work out some 'nothin dodgie' arrangement.

x2

Cheers

Just off the top of my head. Buy an old container ship and a jetboat. Anchor the ship just outside of Australian territorial waters and make midnight delivery runs to the coast. Sail to HK every 2nd month to stock up (and party in LKF). Not that I've put much thought into this... lookaround.gif

Steal them from a Fuzz ship anchored just outside Austalian waters.

I think the RAN have just towed Fuzz's ship back to Indonesia in a tragic case of mistaken identity.

Steal them from a Fuzz ship anchored just outside Austalian waters.

You can try. As long as I register the ship in a country that allow weapons on aboard.

I think the RAN have just towed Fuzz's ship back to Indonesia in a tragic case of mistaken identity.

Again, as long as the flag state of my vessel does not have a "statement of no objection" agreement, the RAN cannot tow or board my ship whilst it is in international waters without express permission from the flag state.

You can try. As long as I register the ship in a country that allow weapons on aboard.

Again, as long as the flag state of my vessel does not have a "statement of no objection" agreement, the RAN cannot tow or board my ship whilst it is in international waters without express permission from the flag state.

Not if they suspect your a people smuggling boat..

Just off the top of my head. Buy an old container ship and a jetboat. Anchor the ship just outside of Australian territorial waters and make midnight delivery runs to the coast. Sail to HK every 2nd month to stock up (and party in LKF). Not that I've put much thought into this... lookaround.gif

Fuzz

A fine plan..

Have you ever considered politics? Our broad band network needs your ideas.

Looking forward to catching up next w/e

Cheers Mate

Not if they suspect your a people smuggling boat..

According to the UN, there has to be reasonable grounds to board a vessel suspected of slavery or piracy. If the suspicions are unfounded, the vessel has the right to claim compensation for any loss. And you still need permission to board from that vessels flag state, unless the vessel is stateless, not displaying it's flag state or the vessel is in imminent danger.

Fuzz

A fine plan..

Have you ever considered politics? Our broad band network needs your ideas.

Looking forward to catching up next w/e

Cheers Mate

Ahh, can't do that. I'd be lynched before lunch time on my first day. jester.gif

Think we're safe for awhile, the nannies have moved onto sugar as the next big poison, then it will be fast food. No tax on those and easy votes.