Seems cocktails are getting weirder by the day?

canadianbeaver

Tonight we took my son, his friend, my daughter and her boyfriend to one of Toronto's hottest new restaurants called Hopgood's Foodliner. Standing room only, reservations only, and by Thursday they don't even answer the phone.

We all enjoyed the unique cocktail menu, but by the second round, Lisa the wild one decided to try a special one.

Have any of you heard of this? It's a shot of whiskey (non-specific)), followed by a shot of pickle brine.

Not exactly delicious, but not bad either. Semi-sweet and sour best way to describe it in a truth or dare sort of way.

post-8371-0-34259100-1381544301_thumb.jp

post-8371-0-47095200-1381544228_thumb.jp

I actually read an article in a magazine from Financial Times today about the creation of cocktails infused with more fresh vegetables and odd things like bone marrow. Drinks where some of the ingredients take days to prepare. Savory was the theme. Seems to be blowing up in London and New York. Pretty crazy.

Have done this many times. Not enjoyable, but after 9 or 10 shots, doesn't really make a difference...

Next level: Pickle brine chaser infused with Siracha sauce. Now that is truly disgusting.

I'll just take the Siracha sauce straight.

I know a shot of Baily and a shot of lemon or lime juice is called a "cement mixer". Is that similar?

It's called a blow job... don't think I will ever drink a drink made of dairy and an acid. I think they are pretty much similar. I've always heard it as a joke. I didn't know it actually transformed into a real drink.

In college, we had a punishment/birthday shot called "Jack on the Rag", It was a shot of Jack Daniels with 2 packets of Jack in the Box hot sauce squeezed in it. The hot sauce suspends almost coagulated in the alcohol.

This reminds me of a shot called Buffalo Sweat. It's tequila with a bunch of Tabasco sauce in it. Terrible terrible drink.

• 2 weeks later...

There's a drink at my favorite local bar that uses pickle juice, gin and a slice of pickle, among other things. Disgusting.

Ashtons Greedy Pig. I hate that cocktail.