Hello from California

chris12381

Hey all. Just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. Please forgive my longwindedness in advance!

Grew up in Rhode Island and spent college in Indiana at Purdue University. I now live in California but had two stops before getting here. Barcelona, Spain and Havana, Cuba.

Started smoking cigars back in 1999 when I quit cigarettes. I have Cuban relatives (by marriage) and have always been fascinated by US/Cuba policy, Cuban music and cigars and as a student at Purdue in 2003, I had a unique opportunity (for an American, at least) to study in Cuba for two weeks. Got a chance to spend time in Havana and drove across the country to Santiago. Incredible experience. After gradation, I moved to Barcelona (a great cigar city!) for about a year and studied Spanish. Upon returning to the US, I had another chance to return to Cuba for a semester as a student. Actually living in Cuba as a student with a host family and in the peso economy afforded me a very unique experience to experience a place and culture that is almost entirely different than your average tourist and, even with the incredible contradictions and hardships I saw everyday, I simply fell in love with Cuba, its music, its cigars and (most importantly) its people.

I personally had a falling out with Cuban cigars in 2005-2012 as I saw my favorite marcas/vitolas devastated (Ramón Allones 8-9-8), the cigars all started to taste the same, etc.

I had a chance to go back again this year, visit my host family and introduce my American parents to my Cuban parents. During my stay, I was thrilled to find my taste for tobaco cubano had been renewed and that once again, Cuba was producing some cigars I enjoyed.

Again, my apologies for my long-winded introduction. I enjoy talking about Cuban cigars, Cuba and my experiences as a student living in Cuba and I look forward to reading and participating in the forum.

Chris