Killer birds

Bill Hayes

Here's some footage that a mate took from a recent diving and spearing trip I went to at Greencape in southern New South Wales Australia. In Australia, if you get past the snakes and spiders and the crocs or sharks don't get you then the birds get to have a crack. Hope it downloads.

diving birds attack.htm

that's crazy!

Here's some footage that a mate took from a recent diving and spearing trip I went to at Greencape in southern New South Wales Australia. In Australia, if you get past the snakes and spiders and the crocs or sharks don't get you then the birds get to have a crack. Hope it downloads.

That is amazing , worst I have had to fight off is a cuttle fish trying to get a flathead off spear, and the odd stingray following you around with a bag of crays. Hope you got a few fish back to the boat mate.ok.gif

Westg, it was a shore dive. I was out there that day but not in that footage. We didn't really bother with fish-protecting floats but just used the inflatable floats with our catch-bags connected because it wasn't considered sharkey or any stingrays or seals and the wobbegongs are bottom dwellers. So any fish would be safe, as opposed to out your way where you have some shark problems and further south in my local Victorian spots where 7-gill sharks, stingrays and seals will pinch your catch. We didn't count on the birds though. Very funny but frighten the crap out of you first up. The guys are excellent spearos so they got a good catch of blue morwong and black drummer (black rock fish - pigs) back to the campsite. The birds got into me on the last day so I spotted potential areas and found fish in caves with the purpose of getting a few for dinner on the way back in but the viz went a bit green and I couldn't find the spots again so I just swam around with the birds who were all diving at the shiny end of my speartip. Great experience. And great to get back into the water again after a 6 months out of the water. We also had big goanas lurking around the campsite that would charge us now and again if we got too close. Really great to get out the city and clear the head.peace.gif

Yes mate, sounds so good. We are firing up this weekend as well, a few shallow dives in 6 to 10 m , going for crays, the season has opened early, apparently they are sitting and waiting in the hundreds. A few mates went today and bagged out no problem . Cant wait . I reckon I would have freaked out with those birds though.

• 1 year later...