Gravity & Captain Phillips, both in IMAX

Skyfall

I saw both of these recently in IMAX, Gravity in 3D IMAX, and was blown away by both!

Gravity:

It's almost indescribable. The cinematography, the score , the effects : they are unlike anything I've ever experienced before. It's absolutely breathtaking and involves the viewer unlike any other cinema to date. This style of cinema is a brand new art form. This movie changes things!

If you don't see this in 3D IMAX, you are missing out. You are not seeing this film at it's maximum potential. Trust me on this, there had never been another film I can recall so neccisary to your senses to see this in IMAX 3D. If you can't see this movie in such a a way, go buy the soundtrack, do some LSD, put in your ear phones, press play and go skydiving at night - that might come close.

Captain Phillips:

Previous to watching this, "Mud" was movie of the year for me. Then "Prisoners" was a close second tied with "Gravity" ( for artistic beauty).

I think this surpasses them all!

This sums up my review - Despite anyone's opinion on the accuracy of how this true story was depicted, this is a moving experience that has you deeply involved and on the edge of your seat the entire time. The emotional capacity for this film is off the charts!

I think we can all agree that Tom Hanks is a phenomenal actor and has turned in many award winning and epic performances in his career. This is by far his best - hands down, not even close, and that is saying something special considering his resume.

IMAX wasn't neccisary to enjoy this movie, but it was just an added bonus.

Better performance than Castaway? Now you have me interested!

Yup!!! His performance in this is not over -acted just for over-acting sake or trite like Castaway. Just emotionally raw and expertly portrayed.

interesting about gravity. i was going to see it and talked out of it by friends who thought it was complete crap. they thought it a total waste of time.

on the other hand, heard good things about capt P and big fan of tom hanks so very keen to see that.

Everyone I have talked to who has seen Gravity (15-20 people), have found it breathtaking. If your friends did not see it in 3D it would not be the same experience.

Everyone I have talked to who has seen Gravity (15-20 people), have found it breathtaking. If your friends did not see it in 3D it would not be the same experience.

to be honest, no idea about that.

the reviews i read of it here were a bit lukewarm as well. certainly spectacular but they suggested that covered up a lack of plot. i was keen as like both clooney and sandra bullock.

might have to have a re-think.

to be honest, no idea about that.

the reviews i read of it here were a bit lukewarm as well. certainly spectacular but they suggested that covered up a lack of plot. i was keen as like both clooney and sandra bullock.

might have to have a re-think.

There is really no deep plot, agree 100%, but to be completely honest, none of it matters when you watch it in IMAX on an IMAX sized screen, with IMAX sound in 3D. It is a brand new medium of cinema that has never been seen before. When you are watching it like that, it's breathtaking!

Mark my words, it will win every technical and cinematography category at the Oscars.

Purely for the sake of conversation -

Whenever the effects are mentioned re a movie, I'm apt to pass........

Saw Funny Face and Donovan's Reef the past week or so........

Fashions come and go - classic never goes out of style smile.png

Agree, but something like this has never ever been done before. It's does not resemble anything else that I know of. Just for that, the score and the new artisic medium, it is worth it. The #1 remark people I know have said about it when leaving the theater is "Speechless". Again, I want to reiterate, there has never been a movie come along where the optimum appreciation is so contingent on seeing it in IMAX 3D, whether that's good or bad, I don't know.....

By the way Ken, did you see "Springsteen and I" ? It premiered here on Showtime this weekend.

loved it. wonderful stuff. i did post on it a while back, i think. i hope.

did the showtime version include the chunk of the london concert and the backstage stuff at the finish?

Didn't watch it.............

Agree 100% with Gravity.

No Imax 'round here but I saw it in 2D last Friday and loved it. Went back and saw it again it 3D yesterday and it is my current favourite movie of the year.

My lasting impression from Phillips was sympathy for the pirates...

There is really no deep plot, agree 100%, but to be completely honest, none of it matters when you watch it in IMAX on an IMAX sized screen, with IMAX sound in 3D. It is a brand new medium of cinema that has never been seen before. When you are watching it like that, it's breathtaking!

Mark my words, it will win every technical and cinematography category at the Oscars.

For conversation's sake, I'd like to point out that Imax has been around for decades. I remember seeing Space and other Imax-exclusive movies at the Ontario Place sphere theatre back in the mid-80's when I was in school.

And, perhaps the addition to 3D makes it what it is, but again, 3D has been around for years as well, and the addition of 3D to Imax movies isn't a first with this movie either.

Again, not disparaging the movie - thoroughly want to go and see it now (when I've passed on it already), solely because of your comments here. But just mentioning this for clarification.

Cheers.

For conversation's sake, I'd like to point out that Imax has been around for decades. I remember seeing Space and other Imax-exclusive movies at the Ontario Place sphere theatre back in the mid-80's when I was in school.

And, perhaps the addition to 3D makes it what it is, but again, 3D has been around for years as well, and the addition of 3D to Imax movies isn't a first with this movie either.

Again, not disparaging the movie - thoroughly want to go and see it now (when I've passed on it already), solely because of your comments here. But just mentioning this for clarification.

Cheers.

It's not the same IMAX, it's not even the same concept or technology, yes back in the 80's there was one IMAX screen in the entire Dallas area and all the films were educational ect. It's a completely different technology now, and almost every major theater around where I am has at least one dedicated IMAX theater room. Movies these days that are intended for IMAX use different sound recording equipment and IMAX cameras to actually film the entire movie. It's apples and oranges compared to what you are talking about. Not even in the same ballpark.

You grossy misunderstood what I was saying. The IMAX and 3D (which is also not the same 3D technology) has nothing to do with the movie being groundbreaking or novel. I clearly said that the enjoyment factor was maximized by the IMAX and 3D, the cinematography, filming techniques and effects is what I said was what set this apart as a new medium of film making art. You have no reference of knowing what I am talking about, unless you've seen it.

Not sure what the theaters are like in your parts, but I haven't seen a large scale movie in NON IMAX in probably 5 years, and I usually see at least a movie per week.

It's not the same IMAX, it's not even the same concept or technology, yes back in the 80's there was one IMAX screen in the entire Dallas area and all the films were educational ect. It's a completely different technology now, and almost every major theater around where I am has at least one dedicated IMAX theater room. Movies these days that are intended for IMAX use different sound recording equipment and IMAX cameras to actually film the entire movie. It's apples and oranges compared to what you are talking about. Not even in the same ballpark.

Yes, agreed wholeheartedly on that. But again, that isn't new either. IIRC, the first Matrix movie was one of the first ones (in the Toronto area where I was at the time) where tidbits of it were Imax shot, and I saw that in an updated Imax theatre. More recently, same idea with The Dark Knight.

Is it just that this Gravity movie has the whole movie, heads to tails, filmed from scratch in Imax? If so, I thought that's been done already too, but regardless, sounds good.

Definitely looks interesting, and great subject matter to do it with then.

Yes, agreed wholeheartedly on that. But again, that isn't new either. IIRC, the first Matrix movie was one of the first ones (in the Toronto area where I was at the time) where tidbits of it were Imax shot, and I saw that in an updated Imax theatre. More recently, same idea with The Dark Knight.

Is it just that this Gravity movie has the whole movie, heads to tails, filmed from scratch in Imax? If so, I thought that's been done already too, but regardless, sounds good.

Definitely looks interesting, and great subject matter to do it with then.

Re read my comment above,( I added to it) it has nothing to do with it being in IMAX or 3D as to why it is a new medium of filmaking art.

The best way I can describe it is: It's like a blockbuster feature film theme park ride with one hell of a score and complex lifelife special effects the likes of which have never been seen before.

I get ya now, re-reading those post additions you did.

Perhaps it's better like this - it's a groundbreaking "style" of movie, then? I equate what you're saying to "style", more so than "medium", as the medium (Imax and 3D) isn't new really.

But I do see where you're coming from.

And yes - though we're in the frozen north, nearly all of our movie theatres now have a number of them in Imax and/or 3D as well. In my small hometown of only 40k+ people, we have a 6-screen Cineplex, and 2 are IMAX / 3D. Been like that up here since about the turn of the millenium or so.

Regardless, yup, sounds interesting enough now to warrant a ticket price. Will make it a datenight thing....maybe I'll get a grab and a feel out of it. :drool::blonde::whip:

I get ya now, re-reading those post additions you did.

Perhaps it's better like this - it's a groundbreaking "style" of movie, then? I equate what you're saying to "style", more so than "medium", as the medium (Imax and 3D) isn't new really.

But I do see where you're coming from.

And yes - though we're in the frozen north, nearly all of our movie theatres now have a number of them in Imax and/or 3D as well. In my small hometown of only 40k+ people, we have a 6-screen Cineplex, and 2 are IMAX / 3D. Been like that up here since about the turn of the millenium or so.

Regardless, yup, sounds interesting enough now to warrant a ticket price. Will make it a datenight thing....maybe I'll get a grab and a feel out of it. drool.gifblonde.gifwhip.gif

Cool, let us know what you think. The one thing I've found around the Dallas area is that no all IMAX screens are the same size. We have one called the IMAX Texas Giant screen that is where I prefer to see movies like this. Side note, if they ever re-release Inception again in IMAX like they did in original release, it is definately a must see in IMAX.

Very much agreed. I've seen a number of movies in IMAX, and Inception was definitely at the top of the peak there. Inception, The Dark Knight, Titanic (yes, I said it), Star Wars (freakin' all of them, I don't care), the new Star Wars flicks, etc.

All awesome on that big screen.

But yes, I'll follow up once we watch Gravity.

Thanks. Cheers.

No big shocker here either, but Skyfall was absolutely amazing in IMAX too. The scene where he an M are driving out in the country towards Skyfall was breathtaking on a screen like that!