Newfoundland Moose hunt

Philprop

So this is my first time having a Moose tag, got a bull tag. My brother and some friends of ours and myself will be making a 13 hour drive to get to our hunting area on the northern peninsula of the Island on Friday. I've been waiting a couple years to get the opportunity and I honestly cannot wait and will be finding it hard to sleep the next two nights! There a 5 of us in the hunting party and i have a tag and one of gym friends has another tag.

We're making this a 5 day trip so if we aren't lucky enough to harvest any moose, we will at least have a little man cation in the woods for a few days which should be a lot of fun in itself.

So I've been thinking hard as to what smokes I want to take with me, but I think what I will be taking will be 2 RA Superiores, a couple Monte 4s, 2 VR Petite Robainas, and should I be lucky enough and harvest my first Moose, I will be smoking a RA Super Ramone Canadian RE.

Wish me luck.

personally, i hope the moose runs over the top of the lot of you.

Not sure if this is a joke or not, but that scenario is entirely possible with all the Moose vehicle accidents that happen here every year and with the large number of Moose that are here.

Ken,

As much as I am not a hunter, Newfoundland has a major over population problem as there are no other predators other than man. So they have to be controlled some how. Lots of vehicle vs moose issues.

no, not a joke.

actually, of course i don't wish any harm on anyone (and yes, some of my best friends go off and slaughter innocent beasts from a distance with guns and i'm sure we'd all get on very well if we sat down for a cigar and a drink but...) but given the moose is minding its own business, i'm for the moose.

if anything/anyone has to get hurt from this, i'm hoping it isn't the moose.

i'm aware of the moose/car problem and that nothing is simple and that it is something needing attention.

locals will know better than myself but my understanding is that the moose is not endangered but rather in some areas, overpopulated and in others, would fall into the category of "threatened".

but a 13 hour drive into newfounland to find them is hardly the category of downtown toronto.

and yes, i know that i have as much chance of changing some members' views on matters of this ilk (elk? - yes, that was a joke, supposedly) as they have of changing mine.

Vicious circle, the wolves were all killed off so the climb to over population starts.

Just guessing, that is the area they got their licenses as the province is split in numerous zones. That is the way it is out west.

Ken, you have your opinion and your beliefs and I would neve pr try to change that. But as was stated, when I applied for my license I could only get one in a certain area/zone, and I unfortunately had to go with the one I got.

And as for hunting a Moose, I hunt to help feed my family. Every bit of meat on that Moose will be eaten and provide some sustinence to my family.

Also, Moose are not native to the island and are actually a very invasive species and are destroying a lot of the land and ecosystem. Harvesting moose every year is more conservation than a anything. Nt entirely sure on the numbers but only about 30'000 licenses are issued every year to hunters and that barely dents the moose population.

Good Hunting. I love moose meat extremely tender delicious and gamey when prepared correctly. Goes very well with some Flipper Pie on the side.(That would be a meat pie made from seal meat)

1) Good Luck!!!

I was picked in a New Mexico Lottery this year for one tag, (Even though I'm from Texas) Made the drive in October, hunted for 3 days, and didn't get a damn thing!

No worries though, I've already got several deer already this season.

2) I've always made sausage, this season experimented with a black pepper and blue cheese combo with beef sausage, pork sausage, and venison sausage, and a mixture of all 3. Slow smoked over pecan wood! This is one of my new favorite recipes, It's so damn good!!!!

1) Good Luck!!!

I was picked in a New Mexico Lottery this year for one tag, (Even though I'm from Texas) Made the drive in October, hunted for 3 days, and didn't get a damn thing!

No worries though, I've already got several deer already this season.

2) I've always made sausage, this season experimented with a black pepper and blue cheese combo with beef sausage, pork sausage, and venison sausage, and a mixture of all 3. Slow smoked over pecan wood! This is one of my new favorite recipes, It's so damn good!!!!

Blue cheese is consumed regularly in my household so i will definitely give it a try! Thanks. May have to sub the pecan wood but will try and source at my local grill store.

....2) I've always made sausage, this season experimented with a black pepper and blue cheese combo with beef sausage, pork sausage, and venison sausage, and a mixture of all 3. Slow smoked over pecan wood! This is one of my new favorite recipes, It's so damn good!!!!

You can feel free to send some of that my way any damn time you wish!!!!! :drool:

I will look into the logistics bud!

^

I make a "Noah's ark" sausage out of venison beef and pork (pork fat for the fat) and I slow smoke with applewood if I'm going for more of a breakfast sausage or alder wood for a great sausage/spicy brown mustard treat.

I got my first deer a week ago and I've been dying to put the meat in the grinder. Stupid moving prevented that from happening though.

^

I make a "Noah's ark" sausage out of venison beef and pork (pork fat for the fat) and I slow smoke with applewood if I'm going for more of a breakfast sausage or alder wood for a great sausage/spicy brown mustard treat.

I got my first deer a week ago and I've been dying to put the meat in the grinder. Stupid moving prevented that from happening though.

Congrats on your first deer Kevin!