Ports - What's good right now?

ptrthgr8

Hi, all.

I've recently had a hankering for a good bottle of port, but when I stopped by the local liquor barn last weekend I was a little mesmerized by the selection. There seem to be a lot more options now compared to 10-15 years ago when I was buying the stuff fairly regularly. I've never been a huge wine fan, but back when I was a fairly regular port drinker it was mostly things like Fonseca Bin 27, Sandeman, or Graham's Six Grapes. I saw the Bin 27 and Six Grapes on the shelves at the local shop (don't recall seeing Sandeman, but I 'm sure it was there), but there were a ton of other options, too. So, I figured I'd check in with my FoH friends to see what recommendations they might make.

I’ve usually stuck to the rubies; the only tawny I’ve ever tried was Clocktower – at least that's what I think it was called – many years ago. I don’t specifically remember what it tasted like, but it’s not sticking out in my mind as being awesome.

So, what would be some suggestions for perhaps one bottle of tawny and one bottle of something more ruby? Target price would be somewhere around $50US or less per bottle, though if there’s a really awesome vintage out there right now that’s a must-have I could probably be talked into splurging.

Thanks in advance!

~ Greg ~

Taylor's Tawny Port 10 year old 93 points around $35.00

Fonseca Tawny Port 20 year old 92 points around $50.00

agree re taylors.

if you prefer a drier style, stick to the portuguese examples. if you like them sweeter, try some aussie examples, if they have any. clocktower is a yalumba (aussie) port. not bad but not close to their best. and i think it is a cheapie from memory.

Stopped by the booze shop today and didn't see any of the Taylor's. They had a bunch of Dow's in several vintages and price points ($20 to $100) but I don't know anything about those. Ended up going with the old standby Fonseca Bin 27 because I know that one. And it's still as tasty as I remember it being. I didn't see any Aussie tawnies. I'll keep an eye out for those whenever I hit a wine shop, though.

Enjoying a second helping of the Bin 27 while puffing on a Monte 520 as we're watching the Wings take on the Oilers. Tis a grand Saturday evening!

Thanks, all!

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD

Well then. I guess I have an excuse to go back and look at another bottle. I like having added rationalization to buy more booze. :)

Cheers,

Greg

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD