one marlin that did not get away.

Ken Gargett

Oh my, sorry luck for the fish and the fisherman.....the photographer got a great catch though!

or a helluva photoshop job innocent.gif

Ha. Went deep sea fishing with my old man about 10 years ago. Hooked an 82 inch (210cm) Mahi Mahi on the line. Fish was a couple feet away from the boat when a Hammerhead took it (or some other shark). Sucks when a shark intervenes.

Oh my, sorry luck for the fish and the fisherman.....the photographer got a great catch though!

or a helluva photoshop job innocent.gif

fisherman/photographer was a well known fishing writing/presenting bloke here in australia. his team would have been filming and/or photographing. and the fish would have been up for release.

so the fisherman would have been fine, he got it in. does suck for the fish though.

Wonder where that was taken. The shark looks like a Great White due to the thickness at the base of the tail. Maybe it's a distortion due to movement and catching the action but it has a very pointy snout. Striped marlin and white shark, I'm kind of thinking New Zealand but it may well be WA?

I reckon you are right Jerocco. A big Mako. I've never seen either a white or a mako in the water but I saw this recent footage that probably suggests it's a mako. I know they are a mackerel shark like the Great White and have the same tail shape (even length top and bottom for cruising and explosions of power) but didn't know they had that thickness at the base of the tail. Couldn't upload the vid but if you youtube search East Coast Spearo Mako Attack you can see it. I also saw the gallery Ken and the side on shot shows it's a mako.

i remember being up the reef out on the swains years ago when a large school of sharks set up camp below us. nothing was getting through. one bloke brought up a reasonable sized shark and cut it back but it had been cut by hook or knife. the rest of the sharks set on it like nothing i have ever seen. the famous frenzy. terrifying. nothing would have lasted two seconds.

time to move.

Ken, do you catch and release only when you fish? (just curious)

i think i have kept two fish in total over many years of fly fishing. one was a tailor that was bleeding when i got it in. both eaten.

at fraser we will keep tailor of legal size. all eaten. they do tend to be in big schools at times. must say i have never gone close to the bag limit, as far as i can recall.

Out of all the years you have fished, you have only kept 2 fish? Do you not like to eat fish? Why not pack you freezer with fish and never have to go to the store again, as mush as you go fishing?

no, two fish while fly fishing. a lot of that is trout fishing where is is compulsory anyway. or for bones which you would not eat.

over the years i have kept a heap of fish but that is not on fly. that is on bait/lure etc. and they tend to be the tailor (american bluefish) which over here, don't have worms. great eating when fresh - curry if not. they pull squillions out of the ocean for cat food.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a strange looking mako. Perhaps it's the perspective but the mako looks larger than to be expected. I've certainly have heard of great whites going after marlin at the boat but the nose on the shark looks too pointed for a GW.

I've fished many years off the Cayman Islands and have seen a lot fish taken by sharks, usually by grey reef sharks or black tips. Locals have certainly claimed to have seen what they believed to be large GWs devour blue marlins while being brought to the boat. One story told to me by a well known local fisherman was about fishing at night for swordfish. The fisherman hooked-up a swordfish and proceeded to battle the fish when suddenly the line went slack and the fisherman began to reel-in as fast as he could. Straightaway, the swordfish was at the surface and practically jumped into the fisherman's boat. Seconds after, a very large shark preceded to attack the fisherman's boat engine. He said the shark looked bigger than the boat and he high-tailed out as fast as he could. He speculated it was a very large great white.

BTW, the guy in the orange shirt in the video above looks like Guy Harvey, the marine artist. I've met him numerous times as he is based in Grand Cayman. He's usually the guy in the water taking photo's while someone is battling the fish.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...