The Gabba First Cricket Test: England V Australia

Well what a load of crap.

Got there early and got a spot next to the cameras behind the stumps. What a waste.

To win the toss on that belter of a pitch and waste it was criminal. My granny could have batted all day on that deck.

To be honest, the English bowling has been decent, but hardly inspiring. Good, not great. Bit short. But I guess more than good enough. Tremlett pedestrian. Anderson very solid – thought he was good. Broad mixed, but enough good stuff. But seriously, this attack today against one of the top Aussie sides a decade ago and we'd be 1-250 at tea.

Roger was very lazy. Watson was very average. Lots of defence and then got runs from streaky shots but to get out, again, in the 20's in the last over before lunch. He has a massive mental problem. Particularly to an innocuous ball like that, which he did not have to go near. If he lasts till after lunch then who knows where Clark would be now. Though the Poms getting the wood on him.

Warner was always going to play a dodgy shot. You just hope it is when he is 150, not 40. Then at number 5 we have a fielding all-rounder with an average of less than 35. And who, when we were in strife, starts hoiking! Insane. Any pride? Any grit?

And a debutante for number 6. A bloke who is 31, and got some runs in idiot and sauv blanc cricket. Big whoop! Last year, he averages 18 in first class cricket. What muppet of a selector thought that might work. I could not understand the big push for him.

Then we have the keeper – only man to play test cricket while on an old age pension. Was dumped and recalled but they could find no one worth the spot (Hartley?).

As for the bowlers, would anyone put their money on this lot knocking off Bangladesh twice in a game, let alone the Poms?

God, we are sad.

I left when Warner went.

Better things to do than public S&M.

KBG

Just rubbish. Predictable rubbish. Is Warner really a test opener? Is Watson really a no. 3. Is Smith really a test batsman? Who is Bailey? Seriously? Warney wrote him off a while back

Better question is Warner a test player--I think not horses for courses-- good I day player but never ever will he be a test player.

The sooner they stop selecting one day players in test matches the better we will be---get your act together selectors!

As for Watson if he does not bowl then selectors should hang their heads in shame. What a farce.

actually warner was probably our best, bar the late effort from johnson/haddin. but generally i am in complete agreement. he did put his head down, attacked when he could (not sure a first ball hook is text book opening). streets ahead of the rest. but don't hold your breath.

the embarrassment for our blokes is that haddin and johnson, our 6 and 7, have shown what an easy pitch it is. poms should get 500.

Err... enough good stuff like getting a fifer?

you would have seen that the above was written earlier in the day. that said, i think i have seen him bowl considerably better on other occasions. any cricketer knows that some days you bowl brilliantly and get bugger all. other days you bowl bog average and get a bundle. i thought anderson was at least as good. just didn't get the success today.

i'm not suggesting broad bowled badly or anything like that. he bowled well but it was hardly a spell for the ages. against a competent batting side, it would be very unlikely that he'd have got figures anything like what he did.

but hardly matters, it was good enough.

you would have seen that the above was written earlier in the day. . [/size]

[/size]

Sorry missed that.

The media here are enjoying Broad's performance given all of the stick he has had down under.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/theashes/10464528/Ashes-2013-14-Stuart-Broad-carries-Courier-Mail-into-press-conference-and-says-England-are-silent-assassins.html

Other than being not real happy with the way the umps complied and changed the ball, it was pretty predictable on a pitch that had something in it early. The only interest in it for me was that I put a lowly $2 on Mitchell Johnson to be top run scorer for Australia in the 1st innings to win around $60, knowing that the top order wouldn't last but the pitch would dry up a touch in the last session and the ball would be at the end of it's life cycle. Johnson gets out for 64 with Haddin on 63 then Haddin snicks the very next ball through slips. Pretty greedy I know but I was torn as to whether I would be happy whether it went to hand. Smoked a Partagas Serie Du Connaissuer No2. from 2001 - that was the highlight, some lazy old boot leather and spice in the afternoon. Day two highlights might include a Cohiba Esplendidos from 2004. But it's whether dependant - whether the weather cooperates or whether I give a damn about an uninspired test series. Pray for rain on the last two days then start again.

that first ball did bugger all so questions when they changed it. that said, i didn't think that the second ball did that much either - we were just awful.

later heard a discussion on the radio that said that the ball was actually way out of shape and the aussies also no issue with it being changed. too often umps do cave in or let sides get away with garbage (english time wasting?) but i gather that this was not one of those occasions.

love eating humble pie (at least where the bowling is concerned - love the batsmen to make me do it as well).

who would have thought.

johnson finally bowling near potential. lyon even looking good. harris always a contributor.

but what a shocker of a pill for a hattrick.

still got a few poms too get through so long long way to go (root goes as i type, whacko).

pitch taking some spin and batting in the fourth innings will be very tough. we are a shot.

looks like all the work planned for the weekend out the door. back to the gabba!!

now warney saying it is a much better pitch than the scores indicate!

swann down.

even if a rearguard, if we lead by 150 (you could have got a squillion to one on that this time yesterday, let alone that england might not avoid the follow on), if we can get 150 or even 200 in the second dig, the poms would really deserve it if they got out of it. be very tough to get 300 fourth dig.

if only johnson had played like this for the last decade. always had the potential.

and swann done on a no ball. whoops.

now warney saying it is a much better pitch than the scores indicate!

swann down.

even if a rearguard, if we lead by 150 (you could have got a squillion to one on that this time yesterday, let alone that england might not avoid the follow on), if we can get 150 or even 200 in the second dig, the poms would really deserve it if they got out of it. be very tough to get 300 fourth dig.

if only johnson had played like this for the last decade. always had the potential.

and swann done on a no ball. whoops.

Ken, had a little inside info from groundsmen who enjoy a cigar.

They would be surprised if anyone makes over 300 runs. It won't get easier.

Ken, had a little inside info from groundsmen who enjoy a cigar.

They would be surprised if anyone makes over 300 runs. It won't get easier.

interesting.

even so, both sides would certainly have batted first.

i'm on a flight monday - was a bit worried i might miss the end. i reckon i could put it forward to sunday and still be sweet.

It's on like Donkey Kong. Had a sly bet on the draw after the Aussie innings, looking at rain on day 3 and 4 but I don't think if we even lost a day this one will be a draw. At least the series is alive now, which is good for cricket.

It's on like Donkey Kong. Had a sly bet on the draw after the Aussie innings, looking at rain on day 3 and 4 but I don't think if we even lost a day this one will be a draw. At least the series is alive now, which is good for cricket.

Rain unlikely mate. Typical summer weekend of showers at best, maybe a storm come 3-4pm. All damage (from both sides) will be done by then.