The Gabba First Cricket Test: England V Australia

broad really is a champion. Like him a great deal.

he came across to me as a complete tosser from the first day i saw him. always has. that has nothing to do with the walking incident. we saw prior refuse to walk today but he was given (because this time we had not stuffed up our reviews). i bet it doesn't get a mention. gilchrist aside, hardly a walker on either side. no issue with that.

all that said, interesting listening to a pommy commentator on the radio yesterday - comes from the same town and knows the family well. apparently chris broad walked out on the family when stuart and his sister were young. had nothing to do with them. the mum brought them up without assistance. she was also the driving force for the local cricket club, doing all the work, the scoring the transport, the committees etc etc. father only back in the picture after stuart got success.

but undoubtedly a very good cricketer.

he put his toughness down too a period playing in australia when he was young. really hardened him up.

I dont know his background.

I just like him because when beaten all up with bat in hand, he stares the bowler down. When bowling well, he has a swagger/intimidation. Coming over the trenches, you would want him beside you.

well he'd be staying there. he doesn't walk anywhere!

Got to say Kenny I am firmly in the Broad camp here. I cannot comment on other issues you speak of but on-field I absolutely love this bloke. Tough, uncompromising and most importantly, backs it up. Everything I would want in an Australian player.

I played a good standard of cricket down here in Melb until I was 23... one under grade/district cricket and there were plenty of blokes who wouldn't walk if they hooked one to deep backward square! Umpire is paid to do a job. Let him do it. It's not cheating if it's not his decision to make. He can volunteer to go but then why have an umpire? Win some and lose some. When the umpire gives a shocker you can't stand there and dispute it.

Got to say Kenny I am firmly in the Broad camp here. I cannot comment on other issues you speak of but on-field I absolutely love this bloke. Tough, uncompromising and most importantly, backs it up. Everything I would want in an Australian player.

I played a good standard of cricket down here in Melb until I was 23... one under grade/district cricket and there were plenty of blokes who wouldn't walk if they hooked one to deep backward square! Umpire is paid to do a job. Let him do it. It's not cheating if it's not his decision to make. He can volunteer to go but then why have an umpire? Win some and lose some. When the umpire gives a shocker you can't stand there and dispute it.

agree with this re walking.

broad just gone. great effort the aussies.

half agree re broad. i do think he is a complete tosser but i'd love to have him as our tosser.

i played something similar in brizzy - reserve grade which is one below A grade - and also a heap in london. as a keeper, i saw a heap of people given not out when they were and they knew they were. fair enough (though i remember a few times when the batting side provided the ump or one of them as the game short and those decisions may have elicited a discussion but a different issue), but i soon figured i was not going to be on the wrong side all the time. that said, you also saw some go your way. play enough and it largely evens out.

this is where i reckon you see the difference between clark and cook as captains. cook fine when england on top but he struggles mightily when england on the wrong end or the game in the balance. two slips? seriously? going defensive in the first three overs? england need to get wickets. if they let us bat for a day and half, game gone.

Well, that's quite a shock to wake up to! Our batsmen letting our bowlers down, again. Was it good bowling or lack of application? Looks like our usual 1st test capitulation has struck again. I dreamt we would be all out for 234.....if only

siddle was not his best (did drop a straightforward caught and bowled off kp), harris was his usual accurate, dangerous self. sometimes it works but always keeps pressure on. has cook 6 times now. not quite mcgrath/atherton, amiss/lillee but headed that way.

lyon bowled very well. kept the pressure on.

but the star was mitch johnson. regularly close to 150 kms an hour. really fierce. i think he will have seriously put the wind up the pommy top order. the most hostile aussie bowling since johnson tore apart the south africans quite a few years back. he bowls like this for the series, with the support of harris, and we have a serious chance.

the batting not stellar. carberry the pick. very solid, though not so much against lyon - though it was a johnson screamer that got him. broad a gritty rearguard but no support.

Us Aussies are used to it of late!

Let's just hope for a competitive series. I still think England will win but this has given me a bit of hope for some good cricket.

It will definitely give you guys some impetus and make it more interesting, and make our batsmen pull there heads from their arses. Only made it 5 overs into out innings thankfully the weekend is here so I can catch plenty more

Let's not get too hopefull from a couple of days play. Same thing happened over there a couple of months back. Australia started off well in the first test, set themselves up with a decent position and then England came along and stole the advantage by well.... just playing well. Problem I've been seeing with Australian test cricket is the selectors have picked a whole bunch of one day players. No one actually plays test cricket anymore, it's all gung ho. England showed a cool calm and collected "test cricket" approach last series while we threw the willow at anything and everything.

Prime example is the Australian tests before going to England. Would have hate to have been a ticket holder in Perth with a test done and dusted in two and a half to three days on more than one occasion.

That said, full credit to Broad and Johnson for their efforts with the ball the last couple of days. I do favour seeing a ripper spell of bowling over a good knock, definitely getting my moneys worth of recent years at the G.

End rant.