Punch Serie D'Oro No 2 LE 2013 : Where does it sit

Though the price was a bit steep compared to many of my favourites I did pick up a box and just tried one after a week's rest. Really enjoyed it. True to its name it has a punch. Tons around in Havana, too.

Yep! I have been regular production only buyer since 2009....

Same for me. I might pay somewhat more for a good le or re if they were not 400 to 500 or more a box. I mean if they are 264 cuc + 26.40 so $ 290.00 U.S. , in havana why close to 500 U.S. ? I only buy regular production bcause of this inflated prices. I could buy one, But you finally reach a point where you refuse!!. I will still vote with my wallet.

First time trying tonight and not terrible impressed so far. Tight, somewhat bitter and muted.

Agree with some earlier comments that the final third seemed to open up a bit and show some promise but I will be laying down the remainder of the sampler I picked up to see how they progress.

I love the vitola and that they finally put out a Punch LE but do hope this improves.....then maybe I'd consider the investment

• 4 weeks later...

got one in the christmas sampler, I really enjoyed it and would consider more in the future. Like another poster said before, it was really rich tasting with some mild sweetness. It had a lot of cocoa, coffee, and leather notes. It did hit a strange spot in the middle briefly, not bitter, I'm not sure how to describe it really, maybe hay like or straw a bit or slightly like vegetable broth. after that it went right back to the original profile all the way to the nub, I couldn't put it down.

• 1 year later...

Two years rest has done wonders for these. To me they're now rich, medium-bodied and nicely complex with notes of leather, earth, mocha and a touch of spiciness.

I've been smoking through a box of these and glad there's another sleeping down under.

• Like 1

Pfft - won't see my money at this ridiculous price...

Still a mile ahead of the OZ price damn taxes

I thought they are really good ,but I have to admit I love the punch line albeit a lot smaller line than it used to be

Smoking great right now for a youngish cigar,hope it has the legs ,as most punches usually do

Cheers

Agree the price is out there.

Were a bargain at one of Rob's offers here a while back though so I jumped!

• 1 year later...
On 9/29/2015 at 5:33 PM, Habana Mike said:

Two years rest has done wonders for these. To me they're now rich, medium-bodied and nicely complex with notes of leather, earth, mocha and a touch of spiciness.

I've been smoking through a box of these and glad there's another sleeping down under.

Old thread I know...  However, I smoked a Punch Serie D'Oro No.2 last night and it was wonderful!  A solid 90 on a 100 point scale.  Excellent construction, even burn, perfect draw, and the experience lasted nearly 1.5 hours.  Mike's description above is spot on, although I can't say I picked up much mocha.  There was definitely an underlying sweetness that contrasted nicely against the more dominant darker flavors, and it was that sweetness which added depth and interest to the flavor profile.  I'm not sure I'd pony up the coin these sticks are demanding for a full box, but I definitely enjoyed the D'Oro No.2 quite a bit.      

• Like 1

A follow-up question for me would be whether these are worth the extra premium over other non-limited cigars.  

HSA seems to be killing off regular production cigars and then releasing same or similar blends as LEs and REs at higher $$. The Punch marca was one of the ones decimated over the past 15 years, a mere fraction of what it used to be. Makes me wonder if the Super Selection and Royal Selection blends are now coming back in LE/RE bands.