Hunting camp 2013

I soo dont want to bite (pun intended haha).

As to the "you are a hypocrite unless you're a vegan" angle........ i respectfully disagree.

Two main differences:

1. food for mass consumption is regulated/policed much more than any regulation/policing for sport hunting. Mass consumption food should be regulated much much 'better' but that is a separate argument/ muchos political issues involved.

2. Sport hunters derive somewhat of a pleasure in the catch/kill. Im not saying its the overriding motivation but its there, and thats why many find sport hunting so distasteful (me included).

Im a meat eater but anti hunting (except fishing, I love fishing). So Im a hypocritc to some no doubt.

This thread has made me rather hungry I must say....

okay, wish i'd waited now. you put it so much more respectfully than i managed to. but yes, agree.

i've never really considered fishing a sport. it is simply "fishing".

catch and release, no hypocrisy there.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So a cow has a fin.

i cast to it...love sight fishing..and drag it to the side of a boat after a 20-45 minute fight (trying to avoid the sharks). I land it, photograpgh it and release it. I may catch three in the day but allow one for dinner (or ten).

Ban it I say. So say the green party in Australia.

What in hell is the difference between a 20kg Tuna a 1 kilo Whiting or a 20kg deer/1 kilo rabbit?

At the end of the day it is "sport" for your/mine gratification. You may release the fish but that doesn't

mean it survives. God knows I have killed enough with full intention of release due to gill rake or trying to take out the hook.

I soo dont want to bite (pun intended haha).

As to the "you are a hypocrite unless you're a vegan" angle........ i respectfully disagree.

Two main differences:

1. food for mass consumption is regulated/policed much more than any regulation/policing for sport hunting. Mass consumption food should be regulated much much 'better' but that is a separate argument/ muchos political issues involved.

2. Sport hunters derive somewhat of a pleasure in the catch/kill. Im not saying its the overriding motivation but its there, and thats why many find sport hunting so distasteful (me included).

Im a meat eater but anti hunting (except fishing, I love fishing). So Im a hypocritc to some no doubt.

This thread has made me rather hungry I must say....

I understand exactly what you are saying Dimmers. I am not sure if you have been to an Australian abbotoir. It will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up I assure you.

There is no grace in killing any animal anytime.

I don't hunt but i'm with the hunters on this one. Slaughterhouses can be incredibly cruel and degrading places.

See here http://www.animalaid...IGNS/slaughter/

FYI i am not trying to push this organisation or its ideals - i eat meat and will continue to do so. I just wanted to give an idea about what can really go on in a 'professional' abattoir.

I don't have a problem with 'sport' hunting as such provided the the animals are used at the end. Most grouse, pheasant and partridge and quite a lot of venison sold in uk butchers it taken by sport hunters. They pay (through the nose mostly) for a days shooting and we benefit. I love game, particularly venison and grouse and it wouldn't be available to me to cook (or eat in restaurants) without sport hunting.

On the other hand, there is a form of sport hunting I find extremely objectionable and that involves the breeding of creatures like lions, tigers, elephant etc in order for some rich fat ******* to shoot from the safety of a 4WD in order to mount the head in a trophy room. If you take part in this kind of 'sport' you deserve to get eaten (or trampled) by the thing you are trying to kill. moon.gif

I do not "trophy hunt" , but let me pose this question in the name of SPORT:

What's worse,

1) Someone shooting a dumb beast of an animal that plays no role in society and then putting their "trophy" on a wall?

or

2) A drugged up football player who makes a targeting hit on a defenseless human being receiver, which is paralyzed and has their career ended, and the player then puts his super bowl or MVP "trophy" on his shelf to display?

What's worse,

1) Someone shooting a dumb beast of an animal that plays no role in society and then putting thier "trophy" on a wall?

or

2) A drugged up football player who makes a targeting hit on a defenseless human being receiver, which is paralyzed and has their career ended, and the player then puts his super bowl or MVP "trophy" on his shelf to display?

I love you mate but a dumb argument.

In the latter, both are on the field of engagement with a set defined outcome (winning) being paid a significat sum (or aspiring so) to do so.

I love you mate but a dumb argument.

In the latter, both are on the field of engagement with a set defined outcome (winning) being paid a significat sum (or aspiring so) to do so.

It was less about the equal field and more about the character and integrity involved in how you earn your "trophy".

I think too many people form their opinon on animals and their classification becuase they have seen too many Disney movies .

It was less about the equal field and more about the character and integrity involved in how you earn your "trophy".

To be honest, a "trophy" only comes from equal engagement. That is a Superbowl ring, MVP, Boxing championship belt etal. Not one man armed with a rifle and the "trophy" grazing on grass at the time.

Just my 2 cents mate.

What's worse,

1) Someone shooting a dumb beast of an animal that plays no role in society and then putting their "trophy" on a wall?

or

with the utmost respect, again this seems a diversion. i find both appalling. but they are surely unrelated (other than perhaps for a debate in an ethics class).

the "dumb beast of an animal that plays no role in society" is something i would, when certain shackles have been lifted, love to discuss. my balcony with hamlets and champers would be the perfect place.

There is no grace in killing any animal anytime.

Agree Rob that’s basically it. And then we all to varying degrees accept that killing certain animals in certain circumstances is more acceptable than killing other animals in other circumstances. Every one of us is a hypocrite to some extent. I’d probably visit an abattoir, pass out…… but then within a certain period of time, be back on the eat meat wagon. But how dare the Japanese continue with whaling !

But here’s the rub (for me at least) with sport hunting with guns/ weapons generally … there’s a thrill/kill element with the violence of the whole event. Its bigger for some people than others but its there.

I've been to weapon ranges and shot all sorts of guns. Loved the thrill of it. But …..you’d never see people paying serious coin to flyfish a paper target at a range though. Nowehere near as fun.

Interesting to hear varying opinions on this issue. Im off home to cook a steak now :-)

To be honest, a "trophy" only comes from equal engagement. That is a Superbowl ring, MVP, Boxing championship belt etal. Not one man armed with a rifle and the "trophy" grazing on grass at the time.

Just my 2 cents mate.

Put down the rifle and go hunt with a knife, give the animal an equal chance to kill you. Then you can claim whatever "trophies" you like.

Ken, why did you have a problem with my thread on Moose hunting? I was hunting Moose for the sole purpose of eating every bit of meat on that animal. It was not just for the fun of it, while I do enjoy it I hunt only what I eat and what my family eats. I clearly stated that and I believe the only response from you was that " If anything has to get hurt it should be the hunters." But here you say you have no problem with hunting so long as it is for food. So pick a side and stick to it.

I can't understand hunting or fishing and not taking anything back for consumption. I love fishing, it's relaxing. The thrill of a fish fighting on the line. But I could never catch and release. Unless I caught something I was not allowed to. If I am going fishing I am going with the intent of bringing home a meal. Same with hunting. I'm going with the sole intent on bringing home meat for some sustenance, whether it be rabbit, grouse, duck or moose or even bear.

Next time you hit a deer with your car you'll say thank goodness for the hunters!

Those of you with bees in your bonnet about this issue might be interested in the camel and brumbie culling we do here in Oz. Not much respect for the creature nailing them from point blank range in a chopper. Not sure if the meat is used either.

Enjoy the outdoors.

but to me it is so far beyond astonishing that you could possibly think that cruelty doesn't apply. crippling an animal, causing it intense pain, a slow death? if that is not extraordinarily cruel, we have different dictionaries.

I love you Ken... but, your argument has the stench and aroma of hypocrisy.

Your avatar.. Did that fish get tortured for long? Was it a clean catch, or did you snag him? I guess the fact that he didn't scream in pain and beg for forgiveness made it ok? Dragging it from its life source.... Making it gasp for air while you took your photo... That's ok, right?

Oh, you released him.... Then why put it through the torture for your own personal pleasure?

you released him.... Then why put it through the torture for your own personal pleasure?

Bingo!

How do we determine which animals it's O.K. to stress / torment / torture / kill, and which not......

But here’s the rub (for me at least) with sport hunting with guns/ weapons generally … there’s a thrill/kill element with the violence of the whole event. Its bigger for some people than others but its there.

But …..you’d never see people paying serious coin to flyfish a paper target at a range though. Nowehere near as fun.

So should we ask ourselves what the thrill of sport fishing is? Is it the thrill of feeling another living creature fighting for it's life on the end of the line? Something else?

For what it's worth, I enjoy fishing and have no real problem with hunting.

Jace - I've spent many memorial days in the game lands on Penns Creek for the big Green Drake hatch, and pierced many a giant brown trout's lip with the cold barbed steel.

Have a great hunt!

Jace - I've spent many memorial days in the game lands on Penns Creek for the big Green Drake hatch, and pierced many a giant brown trout's lip with the cold barbed steel.

Have a great hunt!

I was actually up at penns creek this year for the green drake hatch. It was amazing