Hunting camp 2013

Maybe the Dingo ate your baby.....

rotfl.gif

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fDxF89ol.jpg

Seen a few deer so far but nothing I was interested in. Been here going on 4 hours now. It's so quiet you can hear your heart beat if you close your eyes.

It's my own personal heaven and the silence is my favorite part of hunting.

You should try woodland yoga, less shotguns, more silence innocent.gif

Wow...what a read.

My unwelcome $0.02......I've no issue with hunting, though I've never been myself. I just hate the "Overpopulation" argument, it seems so self-serving. We definitely have an human overpopulation issue on Earth......so does that mean hunting people for the sport/trophy is thus the answer?

Wow...what a read.

My unwelcome $0.02......I've no issue with hunting, though I've never been myself. I just hate the "Overpopulation" argument, it seems so self-serving. We definitely have an human overpopulation issue on Earth......so does that mean hunting people for the sport/trophy is thus the answer?

Over population is a really big issue and is not self serving at all. There are counties down here that have yearl long deer seasons with little to no restrictions, in order to help control the population. It's about far more than just being overpopulated and starving. There are many negative variables that come from an over population of deer:

Starvation

Aggressive Behavior

Forced Abnornmal Diet leading to genetic abnormalities

Genetic Defects

Abnormal Reproduction Issues

Abnormal Gestation Persiods

Abnormal Breeding

Vegital Devistation

Cash Crop loss/devistation

Encroaching Abnormal Environments

Human Safety

Residential Lawn and Garden Destruction

Many, Many more

It is a huge problem and not something that can go on without solutions and harvest treatment plans.

A given sqaure mile can only sustain a certain number of deer, when that number exceeds what is sustainable, something has to be done. A cash crop is property too, that many rely on for income. Protecting that is a basic right, just as we do with livestock when we hunt coyotes, foxes ect.

What a lot of people don't understand is that if you let the population get out of control and do nothing about it, it will fold in on itself and die off on it's own due to genetic, reproductive and other medical abnormalities caused by overpopulation. By controlled harvesting (hunting), you can insure a healthy and sustainable species.

So, I have returned from my hunting trip in Northern Idaho and have had a chance to read this thread. Wow. I have been a hunter since I was 12 years old. I grew up in a very small town, with a single parent and two siblings. There were years where if we didn't harvest a deer, we simply would not have meat through the winter. I hunted every season, and developed a deep love of the outdoors.

As an adult, I have maintained my love of the outdoors and hunting, and I am actively teaching my son to be a safe, responsible hunter and steward of the outdoors.

I won't post a picture due to the volatility of this subject, and I sure don't want to offend any non-hunters, but my son did harvest a 7 X 9 whitetail deer. I can assure you that all of the meat will be consumed and enjoyed.

So, I have returned from my hunting trip in Northern Idaho and have had a chance to read this thread. Wow. I have been a hunter since I was 12 years old. I grew up in a very small town, with a single parent and two siblings. There were years where if we didn't harvest a deer, we simply would not have meat through the winter. I hunted every season, and developed a deep love of the outdoors.

As an adult, I have maintained my love of the outdoors and hunting, and I am actively teaching my son to be a safe, responsible hunter and steward of the outdoors.

I won't post a picture due to the volatility of this subject, and I sure don't want to offend any non-hunters, but my son did harvest a 7 X 9 whitetail deer. I can assure you that all of the meat will be consumed and enjoyed.

I would love to see that dear if you want feel free to send me a pic to [email protected]

Here's another scenery picture

VmOLBaA.png

Still doesn't answer my question, when nearly all the negative variables you mention can/have also resulted from the Human Overpopulation problem (except maybe the residential lawn/garden one LOL rotfl.gif ).

The point being, Hunting doesn't solve overpopulation concerns, a reasonable argument could be made that it actually perpetuates it, since the true reasons for the overpopulation (human interference/human destruction of habitat/human elimination of other natural predators/etc) are not addressed in the sligtest, while hunting continues with "overpopulation" as the raison d'etre. In fact, you might not be far off to conclude that it's OUR overpopulation that now causes THEIR overpopulation! If you never solve the problem, but use it to continue hunting that you want to do and enjoy, how is that not self-serving?

Again dude - I'm not against hunting, and have a few friends who are hunting enthousiasts that I hope to join in the hunt someday. The Overpopulation excuse for hunting just always bothered me, and seems like flimsy justification. If you're really concerned with overpopulation of the species, engage proper authorities (biologists, wildlife experts) to help determine sustainable solutions to the problem. If you want to go hunting, be honest about it - you enjoy it, you want to stock up on delicious delicious venison/game, you're a good marksman and want to maintain your skills, whatever the reason. Doesn't bother me. I like venison! Just don't feed me a line of bs to make it look like you're helping the environment while you shoot stuff. That's all.

Oh, I can't remember if this was mentioned Ken, but "Hunting accidents" should be considered synonymous with "Natural Selection". The guy who didn't take the few minutes to learn how to handle his firearm properly probably shouldn't grow up to have kids of his own, to paraphrase George Carlin.

Over population is a really big issue and is not self serving at all. There are counties down here that have yearl long deer seasons with little to no restrictions, in order to help control the population. It's about far more than just being overpopulated and starving. There are many negative variables that come from an over population of deer:

Starvation

Aggressive Behavior

Forced Abnornmal Diet leading to genetic abnormalities

Genetic Defects

Abnormal Reproduction Issues

Abnormal Gestation Persiods

Abnormal Breeding

Vegital Devistation

Cash Crop loss/devistation

Encroaching Abnormal Environments

Human Safety

Residential Lawn and Garden Destruction

Many, Many more

It is a huge problem and not something that can go on without solutions and harvest treatment plans.

A given sqaure mile can only sustain a certain number of deer, when that number exceeds what is sustainable, something has to be done. A cash crop is property too, that many rely on for income. Protecting that is a basic right, just as we do with livestock when we hunt coyotes, foxes ect.

What a lot of people don't understand is that if you let the population get out of control and do nothing about it, it will fold in on itself and die off on it's own due to genetic, reproductive and other medical abnormalities caused by overpopulation. By controlled harvesting (hunting), you can insure a healthy and sustainable species.

I can't find fault with hunting for food, that is essentially the food chain. The exception being something rare unless you are actually starving. That's nature, I don't think anyone really has any issues with that unless you don't eat meat at all and then fair dos.

The sport side of things doesn't make sense to me though. An overweight guy covered in camo waddling through a forest with a gun is hardly Man Vs Beast. That's no different than challenging Ussain Bolt to a race then turning up in a car, running him over, racing to the finishing line then claiming to be a real man's man then cutting off his head and sticking it on your wall to show how successful at athletics you are. If it is actually going to be a sport then go naked with a knife or bare handed like Fuzz suggested, hell make a TV show out of it! biggrin.png Even still the 'sport' angle isn't anything to do with sport, it's simply killing something for the pleasure of killing something which isn't an issue about animals or hunting it's a moral/ethical question RE someone's character and their beliefs.

The over population argument is complete tosh, nature balances out populations perfectly well by itself if you leave it alone (Something we never do.), nature is always in balance, what people actually mean with the over population argument is that nature is causing their nice farm/garden/golf course problems which of course is a completely different issue disguised with an unrelated subject.

peace.gif

I started off by calling myself a hypocrite on the subject ....and I am lol3.gif

Love hunting. Don't particularly like the killing side. My father taught me to hunt (boar predominantly) and focused on three things: Always ensure you and all around you are safe, respect for what you kill, try to come home with the same number of dogs we left with.

These days I have taken far more pleasure in the skill of the shot (or cast), than the kill or the catch. It has been a gradual transition over the last 20 years and still evolving. I tell myself wen I kill boar that they are destroying our north (they are), and I can kill 30 a day. Brumbies, (wild horses) also destroy our north and I have seen herds of 200 strong. I can't shoot them. I have to look away when those around me do. You see.....HYPOCRITE. If the boar had white fur and was cuddly I probably couldn't kill it either.

there is no reason for my opinion to be rammed down the throat of anyone.

The over population argument is complete tosh, nature balances out populations perfectly well by itself if you leave it alone (Something we never do.), nature is always in balance, what people actually mean with the over population argument is that nature is causing their nice farm/garden/golf course problems which of course is a completely different issue disguised with an unrelated subject.

peace.gif

Very utopian of you. Also completely incorrect. We have several invasive species in Australia, that should not be here, which humans bought with them. They have no natural predators and their populations have spiraled out of control, competing with native species for food and water. Similar to problems in the US where top order predators have not survived in great numbers to keep deer and moose populations in check. Just two of many examples. Nature is definitely NOT in balance.

Also, read up on myxomatosis. Just one little thing we arranged to sort out the rabbits Down Under, simply because there wouldn't have been enough man hours or bullets to deal with the overpopulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started off by calling myself a hypocrite on the subject ....and I am lol3.gif

Love hunting. Don't particularly like the killing side. My father taught me to hunt (boar predominantly) and focused on three things: Always ensure you and all around you are safe, respect for what you kill, try to come home with the same number of dogs we left with.

These days I have taken far more pleasure in the skill of the shot (or cast), than the kill or the catch. It has been a gradual transition over the last 20 years and still evolving. I tell myself wen I kill boar that they are destroying our north (they are), and I can kill 30 a day. Brumbies, (wild horses) also destroy our north and I have seen herds of 200 strong. I can't shoot them. I have to look away when those around me do. You see.....HYPOCRITE. If the boar had white fur and was cuddly I probably couldn't kill it either.

there is no reason for my opinion to be rammed down the throat of anyone.

hang on. you privately "censored" me yesterday and i agree to keep quiet and not respond any further because the thread was being deleted. i kept quiet no matter how moronic some of the posts.

since then, no deletion and i have copped endless crap including idiotic and braindead personal attacks.

i'll come back next year.

Very utopian of you. Also completely incorrect. We have several invasive species in Australia, that should not be here, which humans bought with them.

Nature is definitely NOT in balance.

Also, read up on myxomatosis. Just one little thing we arranged to sort out the rabbits Down Under

I think you've missed the point I was making; I highlighted the bit you missed. Nature is always in balance if you don't interfere with it to start with.

Importing predators, diseases etc in an attempt to change a habitat creates imbalance. If nature is left alone it is always in balance, and will always balance itself out. That's not a utopian hippie theory it's life. A species native to an environment will always be kept in check and balanced by nature. Whether humans agree with nature as to what the acceptable levels a species can grow to is a moot point really, nature doesn't care about manicured lawns, farmland or golf courses encroaching on the natural living space of a particular animal

Nature can't be blamed for not being able to sort out a problem caused by human involvement such as the ones you mentioned.

I suppose it is possible to say that an imported species will still be kept in balance by nature, the consequences might be the loss of natural species and humans might not like that but that's getting into the whole "don't get involved if you don't like the consequences" discussion. Strange how that could also be applied to so many nation's foreign policies too :D

The over population argument is complete tosh, nature balances out populations perfectly well by itself if you leave it alone (Something we never do.)

peace.gif

I think you've missed the point I was making; I highlighted the bit you missed. Nature is always in balance if you don't interfere with it to start with.

Importing predators, diseases etc in an attempt to change a habitat creates imbalance. If nature is left alone it is always in balance, and will always balance itself out. That's not a utopian hippie theory it's life. A species native to an environment will always be kept in check and balanced by nature. Whether humans agree with nature as to what the acceptable levels a species can grow to is a moot point really, nature doesn't care about manicured lawns, farmland or golf courses encroaching on the natural living space of a particular animal

Nature can't be blamed for not being able to sort out a problem caused by human involvement such as the ones you mentioned.

I suppose it is possible to say that an imported species will still be kept in balance by nature, the consequences might be the loss of natural species and humans might not like that but that's getting into the whole "don't get involved if you don't like the consequences" discussion. Strange how that could also be applied to so many nation's foreign policies too biggrin.png

Too true. I got what you said, but my point was, we haven't left it alone, so the overpopulation argument is no longer 'complete tosh.'

Would have been. But isn't, anymore. Unfortunately. peace.gif

Sorry but I'm calling b.s. on this one. Either you haven't killed more than a couple of animals or you're the best hunter on the planet.

I've been hunting for 23 years. Part of hunting is :

1) Knowing what you are hunting

2) Having enough different caliber firearms on hand to accomodate

3) Having the knowledge to know when to use what firearm and where

4) Of course, skilled and proficient with accurate marksmanship, windage and elevation

5) Knowledgable in different grains of different calibers and their ballistics.

Those 5 things add up to a hunter who knows how to shoot, where to shoot and what to shoot. I don't mount deer on my walls so I have little concern about location of shot effecting the appearance of a mount. I also don't go hunting bigger game with a .22 or .223 either. I'm not for sure your hunting/shooting/firearm experience (not for sure why you felt the need to call out mine), but when you shoot a deer, or any big game, with a ballistic tipped 300. WSM round of the right grain, it is over before it started. And if you are good enough to hit the medula cortex or oblongata, or certain parts of the spine, no pain is felt and it is instant, no suffering.

So maybe I am not the one that is not knowledgable....

I can't find fault with hunting for food, that is essentially the food chain. The exception being something rare unless you are actually starving. That's nature, I don't think anyone really has any issues with that unless you don't eat meat at all and then fair dos.

The sport side of things doesn't make sense to me though. An overweight guy covered in camo waddling through a forest with a gun is hardly Man Vs Beast. That's no different than challenging Ussain Bolt to a race then turning up in a car, running him over, racing to the finishing line then claiming to be a real man's man then cutting off his head and sticking it on your wall to show how successful at athletics you are. If it is actually going to be a sport then go naked with a knife or bare handed like Fuzz suggested, hell make a TV show out of it! biggrin.png Even still the 'sport' angle isn't anything to do with sport, it's simply killing something for the pleasure of killing something which isn't an issue about animals or hunting it's a moral/ethical question RE someone's character and their beliefs.

peace.gif

If you let nature take care of overpopulation over time, then in the mean time you have actual human beings with actual families who have lost crops, livestock, income and property.

You stated to seek solutions from Bio and Wildlife organizations. Who do you think controls hunting seasons, bag limits, nuisance regulations, and management strategies??? When Texas Parks and Wildlife says you can shoot as many deer as you want to in a certain country or region, it means the research has been conducted and mangaged harvesting has been deemed the best solution.

When I was in high school ,we could earn a very decent income getting paid by farmers, ranchers and sometimes the State to hunt as many coyotes and hogs as we could year round. Then we could make a secondary decent price per pound selling to the local processing plant. That made myself income, and it preserved the farmers and ranchers income from mitigating the loss of crops, agricultural property, livestock and even pets.